• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Does Tee-Bird Beat in?

Dx Teebirds will last an insane amount of time. The blends of Dx vary so I know they do vary. But, I do know what you're saying Josh. Two seasons from someone using it exclusively might be a little long. One season should not be a stretch by any means though.bi do agree with Mashnut though, they'll last a lot longer than people give them credit.

I threw a 150 class dx teebird exclusively for a couple years, putting and all. I thought it was dead, the edge was all chewed up and it flipped on every shot so I bought a new disc. Fast forward 6 years to where I have slightly cleaner form. I dug it out to loan to a new player thinking it would be light and flippy, and decided to try a few tosses with it. Turns out that even beat to hell it's a beautiful straight flyer, got 350ish on an easy hyzer flip.

Like I said, it will vary for everyone based on a lot of variables like how much you play, how much you suck, how hard your courses are, and how good your plastic blend is. Learning to throw beat/understable plastic straight is part of the argument for minimalism.

Perhaps my use of the phrase "uncontrollable turn" was poorly chosen. Regardless, the flight characteristics of a DX Teebird may change fairly quickly if you use it a lot. You can still throw it straight-ish if you modify your line but that is true of any disc when you have clean power.

Yeah, that's true. It's much easier to adjust with clean form. But, even well beaten teebirds thrown flat will have little to no lateral movement.

1. if you play more than 5-6 rounds a week and frequently use the same dx it will beat in to really understable in a few months.champs will last seasons.
2. when i first started i found a 150 that seemed to instantly add distance for me.thought about purchasing some other molds i was throwing at the time in 150 also.everyone i spoke to about 150 class told me not to bother with them.i was told that unless u have a physical ailment that really limits your power u r much better off learning the proper form to get the discs out there.as said before, they are less controllable,more susceptible to being affected by wind and wear quicker.

Champs and star beat in nicely, losing fade but still staying straight and maintaining HSS.

DX beats in fast and will turn over after a few tree hits. Not to the point of not being usable, but they will be flippy at a high power level. I'm not sure what kind of teebirds you guys have, but the only two I've thrown are flippy quite quickly.

Sounds to me like you have OAT, unless you throw them into rocks at 5' full power. They'll last way more than 2 months. I had a 10X Teebird that was well over 2 years old that would fly straight with enough hyzer. But, it was a beautiful turnover line shaper. Your form sounds like it needs work if they mre "super flippy" in 2 months.

Just to remind you, DX plastic has changed. Current dx plastic is pretty much garbage. jbowdown and I played a round at kaposia the other day, both pretty new dx teebirds, and after a few tree hits they are flippy.

Last edited:
Well, I don't deny the blends have changed. I know the new DX Gazelles plastic wise aren't the best. But, I contribute their flight to molding problems. I havn't thrown a new DX Teebird in probably a year or so. Even my newer run Gazelles aren't that terrible, I've thrown them a lot and they aren't that flippy after a few hits. So I'm not sure they'd last more than a season for me. But, I don't know that they'll turn flippy in a few months. Maybe they will now, that's definitely not what they use to be.

Good thing I can throw 1000 feet,so yeah,the OS is perfectly straight in my range,sorry you have a pussy arm,it's probably from enjoying cone-ing.

Thats cute, but i'd like to see anyone throw a disc straight that was warped that badly. :p

N I have a trip planned for Georgia in January. I would love to see this 1000 ft. throw if you have the time. ;)

Repost from the Teebird Plastics Thread that references the new DX Teebirds:

Jbowdown said:
I don't remember saying anything about DX getting less predicitble. They get less tolerant of OAT as they beat, but they fly as straight as ever with a clean hyzer flip. I've never had a DX beat up in 2 weeks, either.

I'm not convinced there's an actual mold difference between the two different tooling. I think it's just a way to distinguish between runs that molded up differently.

Let me clarify, since you presupposed your first statement for differing flight characteristics over 400' it's only fair to tell you my experience with it so far. My history with the Teebird only extends to last season. I bought a slightly used champ last year, took it out into a field, I then proceeded to throw it like my champ Eagle (20° hyzer). When it left my hand it gradually flipped up flat than it flew dead straight like it was on rails before it faded to the ground around 425'. It surprised me a little bit since it went about 25' farther than my Eagle, which I wasn't expecting. Because of the champion plastic's flight pattern, it instantly found a place in my bag.

Earlier this year I picked up a dx Teebird for the grip and the extra glide I've been hearing about. At first the disc was doing the same thing as the champ but with added glide. Within a couple weeks of using it over my champ it obtained too much high speed turn from a 20° hyzer when I throw it with maximum acceleration. Hence the landing too far right for what I need it to do. I'm not saying it can't become a 45° or more hyzer-flip disc for me, I just didn't buy it for that purpose as I have other discs that are flawless in that category.

Long story short, champion in my bag while dx is not, even though it has more glide.

They should be able to take quite a bit of power even thrown flat after being beat. Again, it sounds to me like the new run DX has made stable molds less stable. Because the old Teebirds and Gazelles were phenominally stable even after being abused. So, this ultimately makes me want to start throwing Teebirds just to see what they do. But, I'd never go to them full time.

As the question has been answered, and I'm not sure what your power ratio is. But, you should get more than enough usability out of the 165 Dx for quite some time. That's another good thing about them, you can easily replace them too. Just get yourself a nice light Echo or Star as a more stable compliment to the DX and use them as needed.

Last edited:
Just to remind you, DX plastic has changed. Current dx plastic is pretty much garbage. jbowdown and I played a round at kaposia the other day, both pretty new dx teebirds, and after a few tree hits they are flippy.

Kaposia, nice!

I throw DX TeeBirds a lot. I have about 20 new sitting on a shelf and 5 in the bag. I've noticed a variance in the plastic to an extent. (I buy discs from 2 local shops and 1 online so I have no idea as to how new or old their inventories are.)

I've been getting bright Pink DX TeeBirds online that feel gummier than the dark Pink and bright Orange ones I've been buying local. The gummier ones seem to beat up fairly easy compared to the other ones which feel pretty firm.

I thought that I read somewhere in the forums that DX plastic is getting a little Pro mixed in?

They all fly the same for me. I only noticed the accelerated wear when discs that were thrown in open fields were getting dinged like they had clipped a tree.

Oh no. I just had a thought that my 2 favorite beat Teebirds I got last year and I have not thrown the ones I got this year, but they feel more "rubbery" and the one I did throw was actually straighter out of the box while the DX I got last year seemed just a bit more overstable until a few rounds to where it broke in.

This thread has got me concerned about the mixture in DX possibly changed and not getting the same beat goodness out of my Teebirds.

OK, I have several 165 DX teebirds in new to slightly used condition, and I find they fade out too fast for me resulting in about the same distance as a gazelle or cheetah of similar weight. I was going to try ordering some teebirds of lower weight, but am I correct in thinking the result would be more turn, and I would be better served just beating one of these in?

I don't usually give advice because I suck, but I must mention my 1st disc ever. It was an old teebird from when they use to have "Ultra-long straight driver" written at the top. I think it was at the the top. Threeputt or some other historian type disc golf geek;) will probably know the answer as to about which year or years it was produced. It seemed flatter and larger in diameter. It was given to me by a guy that was super accurate and only played a lightly wooded course and it could have been beaten in by multiple rounds of just landing in grass over the years. All I know is that after playing with it for a couple of weeks, I soon started taking only it and a putter for my rounds and it would fly super straight and would keep going like what seemed to me, forever(about 350-375) and I could pull off a lot of dif shots with it. One day on a 888ft. hole that was about 500ft open with no obstacles. One day I (having no idea what I was doing) launched it and it did the big sky S-curve and went about 500-550. My friend and I watched with mouths open because I normally topped out at about the same distance as my friend, about 250-500ft. I lost it 2weeks later at Deer Lick in Georgia on hole 8. I am not kidding, on hole freaking 8. I grip locked it and it went crazy roller over a hill and was gone. If anyone can find it or has found it,I would pay for it, Deerly. Stupid deerlick.:mad: (Like it's the courses fault):rolleyes:
|

Last edited:
It seemed flatter and larger in diameter than the new teebird DX molds. It was a DX, forgot to mention that.

I feel like the flatter and larger diameter holds true to most old versions. Like the 10x Cheetahs seem flatter and larger diameter than a new DX one. Of course; it could just be it being flatter gives it that little bit larger diameter.

jbowdown and I played a round at kaposia the other day, both pretty new dx teebirds, and after a few tree hits they are flippy.

Shoulda told me! I was out there on Sunday and Monday but never heard back from ya...

Kaposia will significantly shorten the life span of a DX disc.

Shoulda told me! I was out there on Sunday and Monday but never heard back from ya...

I didn't know CwAlbino contacted you, it would have been good to finally meet you! We were there from about 2pm - 7pm. We only got one 24 hole round in and then after that we spent some time driving discs back and forth on hole 3.

Of course; it could just be it being flatter gives it that little bit larger diameter.

Flat tops and larger diameter both suggest that the disc cooled slower after being removed from the mold, which causes the least shrinkage of the plastic. Shrinkage on the wing is what causes domes to pop up, and this usually happens when discs are cooled quickly.

I thought you were gonna be at lakewood on Sunday, and I was hitting the valley, and kaposia that day. I ended up leaving Monday night because I was just so tired I couldn't throw anymore.

I didn't know CwAlbino contacted you, it would have been good to finally meet you! We were there from about 2pm - 7pm. We only got one 24 hole round in and then after that we spent some time driving discs back and forth on hole 3.

Yea... I swear I don't have that bad of luck normally with finding discs... I'm going to blame fatigue and have no problem doing so, lol. CP Adams was great btw, especially the back 9 that were in the woods. I didn't have the power to throw the long holes, I could barely grip a disc that day on a full power drive.

Over 250 holes in that weekend, not including the time we spent driving and any extra throws I made over the weekend :thmbup::thmbup:

I'll contact you both again when I go back up, I'm thinking September.

I'd be interested to know if anybody throws a 150 class Champ T-bird and how it flies for you. And then how long it took to break in. I got one about 3 months ago and it still is as stable as day one.