• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

. If you can throw 500' you should be touring. Unless you can drive 500 and but cant hit a put outside 20ft lol.

Ive thrown 460+ a couple times- but it ends up 100-150 feet to the right or left of where I'm aiming. Not quite ready to tour yet.

Congrats OP- keep it up!

I realized this last year and kind of forgot it. It's eye-opening when you examine it as mentioned above. Looking at the background none of those guys are actively reaching back, especially Will. It seems crazy because he's so stretched out. I think the trick for me is to lock the disc and get around it, including turning the hips. I can't wait to go try this out.

I will say, I've been focusing on smooth lately and have been throwing the Comet really well -- finally.

LOL! Do you, like me, reread your comment a couple times before posting when you call out someone for their grammar? When I do, I make damn everything is spelled correctly and proper punctuation is used. Otherwise, I see a typo afterword and say, eh, fk it.

Edit: I do it sometimes, but can't stand when it's done by others to me. Hypocrite? Eh, maybe.

"make damn SURE everything"

Woot!

Also, it's spelled afterward, not afterword, though in that context afterword is a fun bit of wordplay.

Also, it's spelled afterward, not afterword, though in that context afterword is a fun bit of wordplay.

Well that's the last time I say stuff like that while rushing a post in between my boss yapping at me and minding her own business :\ lol

Haters gon' hate.

Well done, and congratulations! Glad to hear about someone making good progress, and sharing sensible advice.

Young-Frankenstein-How-I-Did-It-Book-Cover-eReader-Kindle-iPad-Tablet-2.jpg

Wow... the thread blew up a little :D

There was a little lag there.

I'm reading through the posts now and I'll get back to y'all for sure. It seems like like of couple fellas are ripe for a breakthrough :thmbup:

Congrats!

Do you think this let you "pause" the disc as your hips and weight shifted, coiling up your torso for the explosion while the disc was waiting?

I'd be freaking out if I got 50'+ in one day

Thanks for the encouragement, that's good karma I hear!

I think what you wrote is the gist of it. I think I finally got the MPH's of the X step into the throw.

Freak out I did! I didn't throw very long that day. Usually it's 2-3 hours, but I only threw for like a half hour...Mind.Blown.

I gotta get out more. Just started playing tournies last year and they were local. I'm hoping to go to the MHO this year too. If I go to the AM day I'll be interested to see what it brings

you're in Mass right?

the tourney to check out to see pro's throwing 500+ft will be the Greater Hartford Disc Golf Open in Wickham Park (hartford, CT). Actually you should sign up for it, its an awesome A-Tier in a beautiful park that has New England-y tight holes, but also some huge bomber holes.

This year its the weekend before Vibram so all the big guns will be there. In 2013 Bobby C (semi-local Innova sponsored pro who lives 1.5hrs away near NYC side of CT) won it (beating McBeth, Uli, Germ, Schustrick, ect). The funny part about that 2013 win was Bobby wasn't even throwing Destroyers and hitting 450ft golf lines with Star Wraiths.

I've personally seen Bobby throw 500+ft. I know there's these greek brothers out of Mass, one who is a MLB pitching prospect right now that can throw 450ft sidearms with teebirds and is getting even more distance with is backhand.

you're in Mass right?

the tourney to check out to see pro's throwing 500+ft will be the Greater Hartford Disc Golf Open in Wickham Park (hartford, CT). Actually you should sign up for it, its an awesome A-Tier in a beautiful park that has New England-y tight holes, but also some huge bomber holes.

This year its the weekend before Vibram so all the big guns will be there. In 2013 Bobby C (semi-local Innova sponsored pro who lives 1.5hrs away near NYC side of CT) won it (beating McBeth, Uli, Germ, Schustrick, ect). The funny part about that 2013 win was Bobby wasn't even throwing Destroyers and hitting 450ft golf lines with Star Wraiths.

I've personally seen Bobby throw 500+ft. I know there's these greek brothers out of Mass, one who is a MLB pitching prospect right now that can throw 450ft sidearms with teebirds and is getting even more distance with is backhand.

Im probably going to check that out. Its not that far of a drive. Maybe a little over an hour. Ive played there a few times, one of my favorite courses. Absolutely beautiful disc course and youre right. There are some BOMBS! I particularly like the hole on the hill that looks over Hartford. I thought about signing up for the AM tourney, but Im not sure if Im ready for that level tourney yet as Ive only played local tournies. But at the same time its AM intermediate. Im sure I could at least be competitive. Worse case scenario I place at the bottom at still have a great day of disc and meet some good people.

Are you from around here?

Im probably going to check that out. Its not that far of a drive. Maybe a little over an hour. Ive played there a few times, one of my favorite courses. Absolutely beautiful disc course and youre right. There are some BOMBS! I particularly like the hole on the hill that looks over Hartford. I thought about signing up for the AM tourney, but Im not sure if Im ready for that level tourney yet as Ive only played local tournies. But at the same time its AM intermediate. Im sure I could at least be competitive. Worse case scenario I place at the bottom at still have a great day of disc and meet some good people.

Are you from around here?

^sign up for the ACT tournament. its a great introduction and all ams. $20 and you get this epic players pack. I'll send you a PM with the info.

Im going to do this today. If I dont over throw hole 1 (339') Im going to be pissed at you!

I actually just tweaked my form. I didnt add much for distance if any, but it feels closer to proper mechanics. I was physically reaching back (far back maybe) and it was causing me to really reach with my plant foot after the x step. this was killing my weight shift at the point and I was generating no power in the lower body. I still reach back, but I delayed when I do. I also focus on keeping my posture rather than reach and leaning back for a farther reach. I twist rather than lean, and I start my reach back just a split second later. I feel more compact i feel like my foot work is better. But I think by doing that Im forcing my arm through harder and causing shoulder pain. Im not rotating the hips enough and my should muscles are trying to stop my arm rather than letting my arm fly though in a propper follow through.

Make a long story short, I'll take your advice and I'll be in touch lol

I'm sending positive thoughts your way:thmbup:

I've seen the delayed reach-back in slow motion drives from the pros. I found it weird that it was something they did sometimes but not all the time, (so I wasn't sure if I should work on it); maybe they do it more but I wasn't aware of what to look for? Maybe they have such well developed timing that they do it unconsciously to 'clean up' the form mid throw?

Realizing I was leaning back and reaching too far like you describe was a big step forward for me. It didn't translate into any huge gains right away but I think it set the stage for the proper timing to be as effective as it was for me. Nice and balanced the whole way through the throwing motion.

Hips are key. Get that disc moving with a violent hip twist. Don't try to pull it to the front pec, just guide it on account of the hip generated force. The next battle is the timing of the elbow drive. Beyond that I haven't incorporated the 'hammer throw' idea into the sequence.
I found that if the elbow drive is timed right with the hips, that f*$#er is gone! (I may get results with the hammer throw though, just haven't yet at high speed)

For hip rotational speed I work the core with 100 crunches (2x50), 20 leg raises, and some medicine ball work every other day. I take a 6 lb ball and squeeze it between knees, then lay(or is it lie?) on my back, palms down on floor with arms spread out at shoulder height and point knees upward. Rotate to the left, then right without touching ground. Do as many as is comfortable. After a month or so increase the rotational speed of the exercise.

I hear you on the shoulder pain:( I think some is normal though. What is normal and what is on account of technique? Or age? Or fatigue etc. ? I use thera-bands and toss the putters first before distance always. Whenever I try to shorten the warm up it bites me.

Thanks for your insights and best of luck.

To those who know deep down they have the goods to toss a disc 500 feet but haven't done it yet, this explanation is for you. I threw 520 feet today [measured with a wheel after 360 feet (goal post to goal post) on level ground]

1. Belief in yourself is critical. Keep working at it even when you want to give up.
Also, respect your body and give it the rest it needs when it's time.

2. Technique is critical. I did nothing different than I had been doing for the last 6 months
save ONE THING! Just one small adjustment gave me 60-120 feet more distance today!
I have struggled to hit 400 ft consistently up until today.

What was that one thing? A 40mph tailwind!! JUST KIDDING!

That one thing was... wait for it... GETTING MY BODY AROUND THE DISC!

I had read this and heard this a hundred times but could never figure it out. I naively assumed I was already doing it. I was very wrong.

I'll explain it in my own words with the hope it clicks with a fellow disc golfer...

(For RHBH throwers) Ok, so you're about to do the ol' X-step. You step out with your right foot and cross behind that foot with your left. Freeze that image. You still with me? Good!
A la Paul McBeth you pop out the disc directly in front of you. Freeze again. You're left foot is still 'X'ed' behind your right. Now, in order to impart the forward momentum of the X step, the entire reason we don't throw a drive from a standstill, we must get our body around the disc... this is the sweet and glorious key (at least for me...) Leave the 'popped out in front of you disc' just about right where it's at AS YOU MOVE FORWARD AND PLANT/BRACE your right leg. Initiate the swing with your hips, drive the elbow, you know the drill! I used to physically reach the disc back on the backswing, (instead of 'freezing it' and moving forward relative to it) which I have absolutely proven to myself today is a bona fide momentum killer. I might as well have just thrown from a standstill! I truly hope this helps someone, let me know!

P.S. Thanks to all the students and teachers on DGCR for their insight and analysis. I couldn't have done it without you.

Josh:thmbup:
Where's the video?

I'm sending positive thoughts your way:thmbup:

I've seen the delayed reach-back in slow motion drives from the pros. I found it weird that it was something they did sometimes but not all the time, (so I wasn't sure if I should work on it); maybe they do it more but I wasn't aware of what to look for? Maybe they have such well developed timing that they do it unconsciously to 'clean up' the form mid throw?

Realizing I was leaning back and reaching too far like you describe was a big step forward for me. It didn't translate into any huge gains right away but I think it set the stage for the proper timing to be as effective as it was for me. Nice and balanced the whole way through the throwing motion.

Hips are key. Get that disc moving with a violent hip twist. Don't try to pull it to the front pec, just guide it on account of the hip generated force. The next battle is the timing of the elbow drive. Beyond that I haven't incorporated the 'hammer throw' idea into the sequence.
I found that if the elbow drive is timed right with the hips, that f*$#er is gone! (I may get results with the hammer throw though, just haven't yet at high speed)

For hip rotational speed I work the core with 100 crunches (2x50), 20 leg raises, and some medicine ball work every other day. I take a 6 lb ball and squeeze it between knees, then lay(or is it lie?) on my back, palms down on floor with arms spread out at shoulder height and point knees upward. Rotate to the left, then right without touching ground. Do as many as is comfortable. After a month or so increase the rotational speed of the exercise.

I hear you on the shoulder pain:( I think some is normal though. What is normal and what is on account of technique? Or age? Or fatigue etc. ? I use thera-bands and toss the putters first before distance always. Whenever I try to shorten the warm up it bites me.

Thanks for your insights and best of luck.

I remember when I was training a lot for baseball, I used the Total Gym or laid on my side on a bench with a plate or with a dumbbell did oblique twists. Also at the gym, using the cables Id hold the handle, plant my foot and twist. Ive been slacking on my workouts but its time I get back at it. Only issue is my goals were always to get strong at get big. I successfully did both which werent conducive to my DG goals as I wasnt stretching nearly as much as I should.

Shoulder pain, I realized today, was probably triggered by my splitting wood and stacking large logs in excess of 80 pounds each early last weekend. Then played a few rounds of disc and did field work. Too much strain on the muscles, and the field work probably triggered some different muscles when I started tweaking my form.

I realized this last year and kind of forgot it. It's eye-opening when you examine it as mentioned above. Looking at the background none of those guys are actively reaching back, especially Will. It seems crazy because he's so stretched out. I think the trick for me is to lock the disc and get around it, including turning the hips. I can't wait to go try this out.

I will say, I've been focusing on smooth lately and have been throwing the Comet really well -- finally.

It brings me happiness that you are seeing it :D

Congrats on the Comet success! That disc was my nemesis last year (turny and burny :D), now it's my buddy too; I feel the love.

i loved the comet, felt great in the hand, and flew beautifully. Once I worked out the OAT in my form I was happy to pass it on to someone else in hopes it would help cure the same issue. As a bagged mid though, it never really clicked with me on the course. I never found myself needing it.