• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

First off, congrats! I hope to join the ranks of the 500' club one day. I don't need video. :D

Back swing vs work around the disc isn't necessarily a big game changer across the board, so much as setting your timing to put your power into the disc at the right time and place.

Firstly, I love your website and greedily devour your posts and interviews; THANK YOU for all the work you put into it. I think the Geisinger interview really got me riled up, the 500 feet in three months part! (What? Huh? How? He doesn't reach back all the way! GEEEEEEZZZZUSSS!!; Those types of thoughts!) Thanks for not needing video confirmation; I figured if I explained it right it would be obvious I did it... eventually. I don't doubt I'll get it recorded in the near future--- in a hangar with no wind at STP with laser leveled unheated floors etc etc etc :D.

I agree that timing is the real essential point in all of this. I guess the way I explained it can be looked at as another way to achieve it.

Take care!

i loved the comet, felt great in the hand, and flew beautifully. Once I worked out the OAT in my form I was happy to pass it on to someone else in hopes it would help cure the same issue. As a bagged mid though, it never really clicked with me on the course. I never found myself needing it.

I couldn't agree more. But MJ was surgical with it at HOF Classic 2015 so I carry in deference to him :D
( And Ron Russell )

That is such BS. I've met plenty of guys who throw 500 and don't tour. Shoot, some of them still play advanced for one reason or another. If you think having 500 distance automatically makes you 1000+ rated and a MPO caliber player you have no idea what you're talking about

True that. I played rec last year. :\

But I won't be a bagger this year! Promise!!! (Started last June)

I really enjoy seeing bombs @ 450+. What interests me is the various way to get there. Some peeps throw a high anny flex shot, others hyzer flip, etc. Would be great to see a video from you sometime. Thx!

Not to take the air out of someone's great achievement of improving form but if you post on a forum you will be susceptible to everyone else's opinions. Good, bad and ugly.

I like the fact that this keeps me honest and accountable for what I say for better or worse.

And often I do say some pretty silly stuff from time to time. Ultimately, my goal is improve this forum in terms of honesty, good information and overall accurate fact finding.

Sorry folks, if you want to puff your chest out and say how great you are-I might be inclined to give you a dose of reality from time to time..

And I've never made the statement that my grammar is great!

Ultimately, my goal is improve this forum in terms of honesty, good information and overall accurate fact finding.

:confused:

2aiplvr.jpg

This isn't the first time someone has posted about throwing far and others asked for a video to back it up. Won't be the last either, but when you make it sound as simple as just adding one change without any evidence, that is only going to add fuel to the fire. Plus the fact that the OP is all new up in here SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS what to do, it pretty much comes off arrogantly. Not to mention posting sarcastic yt clips in response to valid criticism.

As far as I know OP noob hyzers a boss 200'. I do know one thing though, if I just work around the disc I can throw this plastic over that mountain.

This isn't the first time someone has posted about throwing far and others asked for a video to back it up. Won't be the last either, but when you make it sound as simple as just adding one change without any evidence, that is only going to add fuel to the fire. Plus the fact that the OP is all new up in here SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS what to do, it pretty much comes off arrogantly. Not to mention posting sarcastic yt clips in response to valid criticism.

It never fails to amaze me how butthurt people get when someone says they can throw far. Like, even if they ARE being dishonest who gives a flip? So some stranger on the internet might have exaggerated. Why do people get so high and mighty about it?

Not to take the air out of someone's great achievement of improving form but if you post on a forum you will be susceptible to everyone else's opinions. Good, bad and ugly.

I like the fact that this keeps me honest and accountable for what I say for better or worse.

And often I do say some pretty silly stuff from time to time. Ultimately, my goal is improve this forum in terms of honesty, good information and overall accurate fact finding.

Sorry folks, if you want to puff your chest out and say how great you are-I might be inclined to give you a dose of reality from time to time..

And I've never made the statement that my grammar is great!

What this forum needs is a hero. If not now, when? If not Dr. Smooth, who? Surely not hook nuts!

It never fails to amaze me how butthurt people get when someone says they can throw far. Like, even if they ARE being dishonest who gives a flip? So some stranger on the internet might have exaggerated. Why do people get so high and mighty about it?

Couldn't the same be said about you? Aren't you getting butthurt about us getting butthurt?

I remember dude who had the video of his 500 foot shot... the 6 month guy...
and it still wasn't good enough for people!

Why is 500 so hard to believe? There's still the 600, 700, and, 800 foot barriers.
500 is looking a little paltry :D

Even so, when I get a camera I'll video some shots. I don't have a dedicated video camera at the moment, but I reckon I can round one up. Please note I've never videoed my form or brought a camera to the field... I'm looking forward to it.

Pertinent Facts Concerning 500+ Foot Shot

1. Free weights and Therabands every other day for the last 10 months (except when strained)
2. Average about 2 hours throwing every other day for last 10 months
3. 5 years prior joint and tendon conditioning (Qi Gong)
4. Study and note taking for the last 10 months concerning Disc Golf mechanics
5. Beat Pro Destroyer -Hyzer Flipped- 170 g

I didn't get lucky. You'll get your video. :thmbup:

I remember dude who had the video of his 500 foot shot... the 6 month guy...
and it still wasn't good enough for people!

Why is 500 so hard to believe?

I know the guy your talking about. He's still playing DG and doing distance events; he just doesn't bother with DGCR. The problem was that folks couldn't believe that he could do it so quickly. But this guy is a natural athlete.

What I'm starting to realize is that all the instruction, technique refinement and practice doesn't guarantee breaking the 500 or even 400 ft mark. Some folks are just not athletic enough, don't have the required physiology, are too old, whatever; they are NEVER going to get there. Think of it this way - could a professional pitching coach can take any Joe or Jane off the street and teach then to throw 100+ mph fastballs.

So when someone posts that it just takes this one tweak and bam they throw 50-100 ft further, other people's experience says that's not possible cause it's never happened for them. You may not mean to - but these "see how easy it is" posts unintentionally come off as "your a loser if you can't throw 500ft". Admittedly I've not devoted hours and hours of practice time but I can't consistently break 325. So thanks for the idea and I'll give it a try but 500 ft is not something I expect to ever do.

I anxiously await a grainy video where we can't even see the flight.

Or a disc the same color as the background! I believe the guy though. Ive seen a few local pros and even advanced players that can hit the 500 ft mark.

W

The reality: flat ground, little to no wind, and real measuring devices.2015 Pro Worlds Field Events presented by Latitude 64

Results
Distance Competition
Division Name PDGA # Distance Rank Prize
Open Women Paige Pierce 29190 414 1 $50
Open Women Lori Merriman 35616 333 2 $30
Open Women Maria Montano 51608 297 3

Open David Wiggins Jr 24437 594 1 $115
Open Avery Jenkins 7495 537 2 $80
Open Will Schusterick 29064 537 3 $55
Open Simon Lizotte 8332 525 4 $40
Open Jeremy Koling 33705 517 5 $30
Open Eagle Wynne McMahon 37817 511 6