• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

that video shows a decent 400' throw, but not even close to 500'. break out the measuring tape and you will see for yourself.

360' end zone to end zone, he threw from behind the end zone to well past the other end zone, I would estimate it's 500'+.

360' end zone to end zone, he threw from behind the end zone to well past the other end zone, I would estimate it's 500'+.

My local football field is 540' from the farthest point on the track oval to the inside of the far track oval.

500' from the shot putter's semi-circle to the far end of the track oval... so unless that was a mini-football field, that was 500+.

Lowes has a 300 footer for $25 bucks I've been meaning to purchase. Heading there soon for some water and ice guard, might as well grab it. Going to work with HUB's wrist load more and more today, it's paying dividends handsomely. Gonna jog a mile with my medicine ball while I'm there, sounds awful. Wish me luck bro bro!

Lowes has a 300 footer for $25 bucks I've been meaning to purchase. Heading there soon for some water and ice guard, might as well grab it. Going to work with HUB's wrist load more and more today, it's paying dividends handsomely. Gonna jog a mile with my medicine ball while I'm there, sounds awful. Wish me luck bro bro!

Reeling in a 300' tape is a workout itself! I'd go another route, either a measuring wheel or a laser rangefinder (best choice).

Reeling in a 300' tape is a workout itself! I'd go another route, either a measuring wheel or a laser rangefinder (best choice).

Hadn't considered that! I have a crap wheel, but it does seem like you can get squirrelly with it. The rangefinder seems cool (never used one) but I'm sure someone would say I hacked the damn thing :D Even with the tape I'll be lambasted, but I'm in the mood to buy something:D

You just screwed me for leagues tonight, I am going to have to try it and I bet I overdrive every hole now... Thanks for making me throw farther jerk!

Hadn't considered that! I have a crap wheel, but it does seem like you can get squirrelly with it. The rangefinder seems cool (never used one) but I'm sure someone would say I hacked the damn thing :D Even with the tape I'll be lambasted, but I'm in the mood to buy something:D

Rangefinders are awesome, I checked mine by standing at a goal post and shot the other goal post, 120 yards exactly. They are accurate to +/- 3' (1 yard) and are super easy to use. They can come in handy when playing new courses, takes the guess work out of ranging dog legs, trees, etc. And they are pdga legal.

Rangefinders are awesome, I checked mine by standing at a goal post and shot the other goal post, 120 yards exactly. They are accurate to +/- 3' (1 yard) and are super easy to use. They can come in handy when playing new courses, takes the guess work out of ranging dog legs, trees, etc. And they are pdga legal.

Sounds pretty darn handy! By PDGA legal, do you mean I could use one during a round? That sounds awesome.

I've wanted to wheel out distances to the bend in dog legs, etc. but have been lazy.

Sounds pretty darn handy! By PDGA legal, do you mean I could use one during a round? That sounds awesome.

I've wanted to wheel out distances to the bend in dog legs, etc. but have been lazy.

Yes, as Clard said, they are legal in pdga tournies. There are basically two types, those with and without slope. For ball golf pga events, the slope version is not legal, but the pdga does not make that distinction, at least not at this point. The advantage of rangefinders with slope is that they can give you the effective distance based upon the slope of the shot -- so an uphill shot will be "longer" than a flat throw, for example. You can turn slope on and off, so you can get both readings. So while a shot may be 300' to the basket in distance, slope may show it would actually take a 350' throw to reach the basket. All depends on elevation, uphill, downhill, or flat. Mine does not have slope but I may upgrade to one of those down the road. You could make the ultimate course signs that way, showing actual and effective distances to various points and basket locations.

that video shows a decent 400' throw, but not even close to 500'. break out the measuring tape and you will see for yourself.

Fantastic idea! I just got back from the field with my video camera after I hit up Lowes for the tape measure. Still gotta do the poor man's editing before I post. Do you want to repent now or later?

Fantastic idea! I just got back from the field with my video camera after I hit up Lowes for the tape measure. Still gotta do the poor man's editing before I post. Do you want to repent now or later?

:clap: Keep the vids coming, love to see your progress!