• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long had you played before your first par round?

inthedrift said:
SSA = Suggested Scoring Average (right guys?)

This is the score for an individual course that a 1000 rated player would shoot on average. It takes into account the scores of any PDGA member with a rating that has played the course, as well as the performances of players relative to each other on given days (to account for varying conditions). I think I've got it right...

I see, and where can you find that info? pdga site?

After about 2 years, and now realizing a dramatic improvement in my putting game (I'm hitting 90% within 10 m, 50% within 15 m), I'm almost down to par regularly on some of the more challenging courses around NorCal. Yet I almost always make mistakes that lead to several bogies, and so I always need several birdies to balance them out.

My drives have been improving slowly but surely with time. There is no hole I've seen that I can't par, although longer holes require a very good upshot to lay up safe because my distance is still not much better than 320' max (including the skip). But putting has been everything in improving my scores.

Basic message: Practice putting. A lot. That is your fastest route to par.

I've been working my forehand game again, and forcing myself to drive forehand on every hole makes for good practice and learning to better shape lines. But it hurts my tally. Yesterday I had 5 bogies but only 2 birdies at my 18-hole home course (Shady Oaks, Orangevale, CA, SSA~51, par=54), but if I had been able to drive several of those holes backhand I would have had only 1 or 2 bogies (I badly shanked several forehand drives, but saved by very good backhand upshots usually with my trusty Classic Roc). Winners of the St Patrick's classic tournaments at this course are typically shooting -7 or so under par...I've got a lot of work to do to get to that point!

I started playing disc golf back in 1999. I don't remember how long it took me to shoot even at a course. I kind of took a break for a couple years and just recently got back into Disc Golf hardcore earlier this year. It took me a couple months to shoot my first even par round.

One huge thing you have to take into consideration is how hard your course is. IMO if you are playing a wooded course or one with some serious length too it shoot even par is hard. One of my favorite courses in Cedar Rapids is Legion. There are several holes that if you mess up off the tee then you are going to have a hard time getting 3's.

Putting is huge. If you can get your confidence up that you will hit all your puts inside 15-20 feet it makes it alot easier. I would think this would shave 5-6 strokes off your game if you could hit every putt inside that range.

freeus said:
Title says it all. I am coming up on my 2nd DG anniversary and to date my best round of 18 on any course is +4. My goal is to have at least one at-par or better round this year.

How long after you started playing was it before you threw your very first at-par round of 18? Also, how difficult was the course you did it on?

i have gotten below par on every course i've played at. infact on my home course we play all par 3's and i've gotten as good as 10 under (was kind of on that game). That bieng said it took me a couple months to get the hang of the game and duece some holes

maybe the courses are easier in my area?

Bout a year and a half for me. I've only had ONE bogey free round so far, and that was when we played a one disc challenge from the rec tees. Wait, I take that back, my best round was -6 and was bogey free.

I started playing in august of last year. They shut down my "home" course for the winter, but practiced all winter long at a local pitch 'n put. A month after they reopened my home course for the summer I shot an even round. I guess that makes it 9 months.

Playing time is limited these days but I finally did it...shot under par on a legit course. :mrgreen: -2 at Cherry Hill, Coeur d'Alene ID. First time playing that course. Pleased am I.

I learned one summer on a pitch 'n' putt. Was going under par before the summer was over. Then went to school and the course there is pretty legit. Took me about 5/6 months of playing that course before I got an under par round.

This summer I spent designing a course with a portable basket. Going through Parks & Recs to put it in later this calendar year. I thought I'd made it pretty difficult, but after 4 months of playing the tweaked version of the course I went -2. Only time I'd gone par or under though and there was zero wind that day, so I'm sure that helped.

I really started taking disc golf seriously and playing quite a bit in the fall of last year, didn't play that much over winter but I believe sometime in the winter was the first time I hit par at Kentwood, our local pitch and putt. I didn't start keeping track of my scores until 3/5/11 and the first recorded round I have is a 53 at Kentwood.

About 4 months till my first tournament par round.

I am sure though that I played par before on our local course, but I dont have all the old scoresheets.

I just finally made it under par (53) at Acorn Park, MN last weekend. They had the holes in the winter locations but I was still pretty happy. Previously, my best on the course was +2. This season I've seen the most improvement in my playing.

I've played Acorn a couple of times. I think my best was +2 or +3. It's pretty short, but rather wooded, so I would imagine that playing it would be easier once the leaves fell, but I've only played it in the summer.

Over 6 years to score 54 on an 18 hole course. Posted par is 56, but it's a 46 SSA course. So it's a pretty easy course, but not exactly a pitch and putt.

Interesting thread, but would be better if everybody could state hours played instead of yrs and then applied that to the same 18 hole course. I know guys that play every freakin day - one of their months with consecutive days played would easily equal a weekenders year! And we have lots of courses around here that are tough in the DFW area, those cats that posted about being naturally gifted would still get that @ss handed to them for quite sometime before shooting a par round here. But nevertheless, interesting thread.

Finally went under on my second course ever on Monday. It was my fifth ever round on that course. It's a "beginner" course where par is about a 900 rated round. I was more like 6 over there at a tournament a few weeks ago.

That's quite a swing meaning 48 ratings points. Congratulations! Also i read on the PDGA forums that you regularly throw to 350-375', which is great for anyone so for a lady and in such a short time you must have attacked the sport like a rabid animal and trained a lot. Good times :) What changed to make that 6 stroke improvement and do you think you can keep the new level of playing? 5 times on a course is not much is it partially getting to know how to play the course better or were you playing better?

My first week. I quickly learned that putting was darn near impossible for me. So my first round at Firefighters (Troy, Michigan) I threw every upshot under the basket and took 18 pars, never risking a putt outside of 10 feet or so. Then the grim reality set in that par at an easy course was going to get me nowhere.

Chuck Kennedy said:
The real question is how long until you shot your first 1000 rated round... 8)

No idea. Probably before a 1000 rated round was invented. Now that I know they exist I need a lot more of them.

Latest posts