• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs are too many?

15 discs fit in my bag well, and that's what I always carry, it makes it easy to check they are all there (6 in each half of the main compartment and 3 putters. ) probably about 8 to 10 discs are what I use, the rest are spares or discs I'm working in or trying out. I also carry 2 of my regular putter, not including the driving putter. I can play my local course with about 3 or 4 discs. I played some new courses over the weekend and used about 8.

In a bag for a round, you have too many drivers. If thats your collection, carry on. I had about 100 at one point but Im not a collector. I just like trying new things and spending money that I shouldn't spend lol. Now I'm down to 15-20 in my bag depending on the course and conditions or if Im testing something, plus a stack of a few different putters for practice, backups to my most loved discs that I'd cry if I lost and couldnt replace right away, plus some that I have for fun rounds (all MVP/trilogy rounds), plus ones that I'm testing to see if they are better for me than my current selection, plus some that I dont need nor want. 50-60 all together.

I carry 10-12 discs in my Fade Crunch and I have maybe 30 backups/testers on the shelf at home. How many is too many really comes down to personal preference, so just find what works for you!

I carry 20 discs in my tourney bag. 5 drivers, 4 fairways, 6 mids, 2 driving putters, 2 putting putters, 1 beat in anny putter. I also often grab a DD Cadet and only carry 3 fairways, 2 mids, 3 putters for a nice, light pack.

Overall, I have 13 discs on my desk here at work, my tourney bag in the car (20), my girl's Westside Standard (14), my stash of extra in the back end of the car (around 30-35) and a Jimmy John's box in the garage (25) So, that's just over 100 and not nearly enough... Never too much plastic.

Since I've been filming disc golf tournaments I've noticed that most of the pros only throw about 8 different discs during their rounds.

The formula for how many discs you should have is X+1 where X equals the amount of discs you currently own. This is then expanded to (X+1)+2 if you like the new disc and need to try it out in different plastics.

The formula for how many discs you should have is X+1 where X equals the amount of discs you currently own. This is then expanded to (X+1)+2 if you like the new disc and need to try it out in different plastics.

Which then becomes ((X+1)+2))/y, when Y </=X. Y being the numerical value of how much grief you get from your girlfriend/wife about have too many stacks of discs everywhere. Which for me, the Y canceled out getting new discs until X decreased...until I found the PIF thread :D

There becomes a point where too many discs in your bag becomes a burden and not good for your game.

I throw my entire bag several times a week in my field out back to stay in tune with the discs that are specialty discs and don't see much action. This keeps me very familiar with them so when I pull them out I'm not guessing what it will do.

If I'm bagging more than 16-17 I thin it out. I'll cycle 5 in or out from my stash of 80 based on which course I'm playing or weather,,,,, mostly wind.

As far as carrying 12 drivers, no way, too many. I'm bagging 4 stable and 4 under stable drivers and this seems good for me.

Stables, ....Starfire, firebird, thunderbird, boss
Under stables.....bolt, tern, sidewinder, mamba

I've gotten over 100 a few times. that feels like too many. I like to be able to carry everything to the car in 2 trips :)

In the bag, I only really carry about 4 putters, 3-4 mids, 3-4 controllable drivers and 2-3 fast drivers. If I'm carrying more than 15, its because I'm doing some mold testing or I'm afraid of the water

2nd this emotion.

Since I've been filming disc golf tournaments I've noticed that most of the pros only throw about 8 different discs during their rounds.

Maybe molds but not discs. Often weird variations of x or y mold too which could just be another stock disc they just make strange bags.

My flippy xxcal my OS leopard etc etc etc....

I'm slowing working the number of molds down in my bag but I still tend to fill all of the space in my bag up (Spinal Tap). I have a much better understanding of the flight characteristics of my discs with less molds and better understand the variances within a mold. That said, I would probably only shoot a few strokes higher bagging my glow bag (Pure, Envy, Comet, Buzzz, Teebird, Firebird) on most courses instead of my big bag. Add a flippy Fairway Driver and a understable Distance Driver overstable Distance Driver and that covers every course.

Tournament bags should be limited 14 disc IMO.
Why? Because that's what they do in ball golf? I swear people who suggest this don't really think this out.

We don't play ball golf. We don't stock our bags with one and only one of something like ball golfers do. Ball golfers don't lose their clubs in hazards like we do our discs. That and people at tournaments (TD's and competitors alike) have better things to do than count discs.

Maybe molds but not discs. Often weird variations of x or y mold too which could just be another stock disc they just make strange bags.

My flippy xxcal my OS leopard etc etc etc....

Nah, it's discs. Most of the top guys throw the same discs over and over, usually less than 10 different ones per round. Just like all of us.

Nah, it's discs. Most of the top guys throw the same discs over and over, usually less than 10 different ones per round. Just like all of us.

I believe this, absolutely. Watching tournaments on youtube or players ITBs, I can definitely see that. A lot of them have discs for "if this happens I'll use this". Take McBeth - Destroyer, PD, Thunderbird, Teebird maybe, Roc3, McPro Aviar, P2. Thats pretty much all I notice him throwing and it is the same disc. His ITB he had what, 5-6 Destros? Hes probably only using one, maybe 2

Thanks for all the help guys, my forehand is pretty good, but my backhand needs alot of work. Any specific discs you think I should try to use to help my backhand? I throw with a fan grip, I can't use the power grip, as I can feel my fingers slip off the grip right before the throw. I am having moderate success with the beast at the moment. Thanks guys

lol. you don't even play disc golf..

LIKE I SAID-- MOLDS!

How could GRIP EQ even be in business if "pros" threw 10 discs a round? They obviously have felt inclined to carry a couple more than that for a while now.....

I probably carry a few more than most people because I throw about 50/50 backhand and forehand. I like Wraiths for backhand (carry 3, from flippy to OS with a stable one in the middle) and Giants for FH (3 also, from meathook to workable). I also carry 2 firebirds that are mainly for FH. I am usually around 19-20 discs because of this.

Just because they carry 20, doesn't mean they throw more than 10. Watch several dozen tourney vids, Aim. Then report back.

I think you guys are saying the same thing. They have have 20 discs and only throw 8. Of those 8 discs they may be 8 different molds, sure. Or maybe they're 8 discs of only 3-4 molds. Molds aside they they dont throw half of their discs I bet. So maybe specialty discs, just in case discs, back up discs, and discs their sponsors want them to fit in their bag for when they make an ITB video