• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many holes is too long?

jasonandsharon

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I recently got dinged by reviewers for splitting 36 holes into two 18 hole courses. To me it simply made since to give the people options for playing. I mean everyone still knows theres 36 holes on the property. In my opinion I think 27 holes is about the maximum number for a single course before splitting it into mutiple courses. Just curious what anyone else thought?

How is it any different aside from the semantics of playing hole 36 vs hole 18 on course b??

I didn't understand myself, to me everyone still knows theres 36 holes however they are labeled but reviewer rated it down for being two courses.

^I don't know. I would much rather have 2 18s as it's easier for coming and playing one. I am guessing you would need them both to start and end in the same spot, so if you did 2 18 and 1 36 you could have different holes without bringing it all back to one spot.

The courses do start and stop at the same place. In fact the teepads for both #1s back up against each other.

It's necessary for PDGA tournaments that courses be two named 18s versus one 36 so the scoring stats can be linked to an 18-hole course in the directory.

57dd9b56.jpg

Didn't even know about the PDGA ruling, to me it simply made since from a practical standpoint. But I've had quite a few complaints from locals and a reviewer on here stated it as well that it should be 36.

As an aside this course really is in the boondocks anyone coming here really stays for 36, and its a long 36.

It was a bronze level trusted reviewer so it just got me thinking if it was a mistake. A couple of people locally have also complained, I guess nobody likes change.

add that pic to the review site so people will understand that it is two separate entities. and if you are the property owner or course designer please remove your review as it is completely biased.

I'd say it's right to call it two courses, but who cares about dings or locals "opinions"?

Don't worry about that stuff, there will ALWAYS be at least one person directly opposed to your stance in the universe, it's the law of polarity.

Plus, it's a semantic argument, like my man said. If the locals wanna say, "Come play our 36-hole course" then let 'em. No need to get gray hair over it.

I'm neither simply a player. The course was put in by the Army Corp of engineers who owns the property. The course is maintained by two clubs the Fiddleneck Chain Rattlers of Valley Springs and the Delta Windjammers of Stockton.

I just looked at the reviews. He wasn't downgrading the course in any way because it's not listed as one big course. It was more a commentary that on this site it would be easier to review as one big course instead of having to write two reviews.

I see it like Cedarock/Wellspring in Burlington NC (site of the 2013 US Masters) it is 2 distinct courses on one property and there is even a layout that uses both courses for 18 holes. they both have their pluses and minuses but they are distinct courses. I wouldn't get upset over someone else's laziness on the internetst.

He stated in his review that he would rate the course higher if it were one course

He stated in his review that he would rate the course higher if it were one course

Yeah I see that now. I skimmed the review and didn't read all the way to the end.

So he's simply downgrading the course, not on the course's merits, but because he's frustrated having to write two reviews. :wall: