• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to find a main putting putter

westdisc91

Bogey Member
Hello. So how do people decide on putters. All my putters feel the same in the hands to me and I can putt within 10 feet of hole well with them all.

People usually pick up these and bag them.
0dfb47c59e9ae2aea6b88299fba93153.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Move out to 30 feet and see if you notice a difference.

^^^ This.

Also, what I did was to try different putters, then once I had it down to the Warden and the Judge, I'd putt with one 'for the record', then putt from the same place with the other one. I'd alternate which one I used first. After a couple of months of doing this, as well as putting at the practice basket, I noticed the Warden was a little more consistent for me, and it became my putting putter. Nothing has beaten it out... yet...

I had to try many types of putter to find out what I really like and dislike. The flight feel and finish can be wildly different disc to disc at 30ft.

I switch between soft blend judges and stiffer (ER) wizards. The judge has more glide which requires less effort. If the wind is blowing i prefer the wizards and i put more power behind them. With that being said i have taken a healthy interest in jawbreaker challengers lately.

Go to a DG Shop if you can find one and fondle every putter you can...eventually you'll find one that feels right in your hand. Then practice, practice, practice.

Honestly IMO if you have a good putting stroke any neutral putter will "work" so it really boils down to hand feel. Also don't try them out at 10 feet because you could probably make about the same percentage with most of the discs in your bag. 20-25' minimum is what I would suggest. If you aren't a phenomenal putter 30 footers are going to be as frustrating as they are helpful.

Honestly IMO if you have a good putting stroke any neutral putter will "work" so it really boils down to hand feel. Also don't try them out at 10 feet because you could probably make about the same percentage with most of the discs in your bag. 20-25' minimum is what I would suggest. If you aren't a phenomenal putter 30 footers are going to be as frustrating as they are helpful.

THIS! bag a few putters for several rounds and alternate them. eventually you'll become more enamored with one of them....

I usually narrow it down by these criteria in order:
1) Feel in the hand
2) clean/consistant release for my putting style
3) Flight within 10 meters
4) Flight outside of 10 meters
5) plastic availability/ Disc availability (OOP vs current run etc)
6) Ability to use off the tee as a driving putter
7) Stability to fight the wind
8) Glide

I have yet to find a putter that does everything for me.

I usually narrow it down by these criteria in order:
1) Feel in the hand
2) clean/consistant release for my putting style
3) Flight within 10 meters
4) Flight outside of 10 meters
5) plastic availability/ Disc availability (OOP vs current run etc)
6) Ability to use off the tee as a driving putter
7) Stability to fight the wind
8) Glide

I have yet to find a putter that does everything for me.

Hehe cool list. I got myself 3 Sarek a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love (wind is still scary but you can't have it all). Simular flight to a Nova with half a tick more fade.
Miss the pros but not the cons of Novas sticky rim though.

Before I used the Pure along my Nova but I really feel like the Sarek replaced them both and added consistency.

You first need to determine, bead or no bead. Look at your grip with emphasis on the placement of the rim on your index finger. If one style doesn't feel noticeably more comfortable, try a few putts with both, however only focus on the how clean your release is, don't worry about flight yet.

Once that is settled, start with a neutral putter like an aviar or warlock if no bead or KC PRO Aviar or Wizard if looking for bead. If over time you find yourself needing to adjust you could go up or down in stability, but you really shouldn't need to. Once you settle on something, COMMIT. Buy a stack of at least 5 and practice only with that mold. Putting is more archer than arrow then any other shot, but getting to know your putter mold's flight will give you more and more confidence.

Lastly, once you settle on your go-to putting putter, don't throw it! Only use it for putts inside a comfortable distance. You don't want knick up and warp your $maker. Hope this helps.

All putters do the same thing at 10 feet.

As others say, long putts are where it matters. You'll want something that you can throw straight for about 40 feet. Too stable and you'll have to hyzer putt everything, which is lower percentage. Too understable and you'll have to worry about turn at range. Find something that you can throw straight, and then just use whatever is comfortable in your hand.

Nearly any putter that isn't very overstable will work if you practice with it enough.

Hehe cool list. I got myself 3 Sarek a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love (wind is still scary but you can't have it all). Simular flight to a Nova with half a tick more fade.
Miss the pros but not the cons of Novas sticky rim though.

Before I used the Pure along my Nova but I really feel like the Sarek replaced them both and added consistency.

That's interesting. I have never gotten along with the MVP plastics for putting putters. They have always felt a bit slick to me, and I worry when they get wet.

I'm putting with Rhynos currently. Specifically very beat up SE and old Pro ones.

They are great at #1-4. Completely fail at #5 and are good at #6 and #7, and are not great at #8.

Go out and feel a couple. If they all feel good, just pick one. Then buy 10 of those exactly the same and practice a lot.

Personally I think the putter matters less than the practice.

I totally agree with this^^^^

All that really matters is, Bead or no bead, hard or soft and how you like the feel of the plastic.
Try to pick a plastic blend that will feel pretty similar across most conditions, cold, hot, damp etc.

I went through the whole "try lots of different putters" phase and I ended up with two Molds I like, Yeti Aviars and SS and eraser Wizards. That's all I own and I sold off every other putter I owned and haven't looked back.

If I'm in a slump, I'll switch to Wizards for a while as sort of a mental boost. But when I'm putting well, I can putt with either or and not skip a beat.

Last edited: