• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to find a main putting putter

You first need to determine, bead or no bead. Look at your grip with emphasis on the placement of the rim on your index finger. If one style doesn't feel noticeably more comfortable, try a few putts with both, however only focus on the how clean your release is, don't worry about flight yet.

Once that is settled, start with a neutral putter like an aviar or warlock if no bead or KC PRO Aviar or Wizard if looking for bead. If over time you find yourself needing to adjust you could go up or down in stability, but you really shouldn't need to. Once you settle on something, COMMIT. Buy a stack of at least 5 and practice only with that mold. Putting is more archer than arrow then any other shot, but getting to know your putter mold's flight will give you more and more confidence.

Lastly, once you settle on your go-to putting putter, don't throw it! Only use it for putts inside a comfortable distance. You don't want knick up and warp your $maker. Hope this helps.

I actually have a kc pro avair. It's ok just not like how it gets beat up in my hands. I have judge vibram ridge jawbreaker roach and p2 d line

That's interesting. I have never gotten along with the MVP plastics for putting putters. They have always felt a bit slick to me, and I worry when they get wet.

I'm putting with Rhynos currently. Specifically very beat up SE and old Pro ones.

They are great at #1-4. Completely fail at #5 and are good at #6 and #7, and are not great at #8.

Not sure if you're aware, but none of the discs he mentioned were MVP. The Sarek and Pure are Latitude 64, and the Nova is Innova.

However, I do understand what you're saying about the MVP plastics feeling slick for putters. But have you tried any of their discs in Electron? My go to putter is the Stiff Electron Ion. It's not a great plastic for driving, as it gets banged up and warps pretty easily, but feels great for putting.

I usually narrow it down by these criteria in order:
Q1) Feel in the hand
2) clean/consistant release for my putting style
3) Flight within 10 meters
4) Flight outside of 10 meters
5) plastic availability/ Disc availability (OOP vs current run etc)
6) Ability to use off the tee as a driving putter
7) Stability to fight the wind
8) Glide

I have yet to find a putter that does everything for me.

I putt with Darts, as I started putting with a friend's a few years back when I was new and didn't know anything. Have five DX ones now. I find they have too much glide. I'm a lefty, and sometimes I just run them by on the left of the chains. Thinking about going to a flatter, slower putter with less glide, though I've always like the hand-feel of the Darts.

I usually narrow it down by these criteria in order:
1) Feel in the hand
2) clean/consistant release for my putting style
3) Flight within 10 meters
4) Flight outside of 10 meters
5) plastic availability/ Disc availability (OOP vs current run etc)
6) Ability to use off the tee as a driving putter
7) Stability to fight the wind
8) Glide

I have yet to find a putter that does everything for me.

I doubt I'm alone in that I don't use my putting putter for drives off the tee, nor for longer approaches that might be considered throws more than putts. If you (plural) find a putter that does it all, my congratulations; get and use that putter! For me, the putter pouch in my bag holds multiple putters for a reason.

Not sure if you're aware, but none of the discs he mentioned were MVP. The Sarek and Pure are Latitude 64, and the Nova is Innova.

However, I do understand what you're saying about the MVP plastics feeling slick for putters. But have you tried any of their discs in Electron? My go to putter is the Stiff Electron Ion. It's not a great plastic for driving, as it gets banged up and warps pretty easily, but feels great for putting.

My bad, I googled the Sarek and saw the overmold and just assumed. I've been away from the game for a bit and completely forgot that Lat 64 makes overmolds now and didn't even think to double check. I know the other 2 aren't but I was mainly and incorrectly referencing the Sarek.

I doubt I'm alone in that I don't use my putting putter for drives off the tee, nor for longer approaches that might be considered throws more than putts. If you (plural) find a putter that does it all, my congratulations; get and use that putter! For me, the putter pouch in my bag holds multiple putters for a reason.

I definitely do not use my putting putters for driving or long up shots. Big no no IMO. One tree hit and it may never fly the same. Or worse, an errant drive/kick off a tree and it's gone for ever.

But I do like to consolidate molds and if that putter is good off the tee I will bag more of them. Wizards come to mind as one mold that is great for this. I really like Rhynos off the tee as well. Especially beat up ones. But that is why that criteria is not as important as others I listed.

Last edited:
What worked for me: staying with my starting putter for a long, long time. I started with a Discraft starter pack and I stayed with it for more than a year. I really liked (still do) the soft Magnet that came with it, but I also knew what I'd wanted in a putter to be different. Then I tried the APX and stayed with that until I 1.) was a much better putter than with the Magnet and 2.) I knew what I did and didn't like about it. After that I switched to the Pure and I've stuck to that so far.

My tip isn't about one specific putter (or putter brand), what worked for me might be horrible for you; but I think the general principle might hold some value: stick to one disc until you know exactly what you like and dislike about it and then, and only then, switch to something that you think will fix your most pressing problem. Repeat as needed but give each disc enough time for you to really get accustomed to.

I think that if putting is indeed as personal as people tend to make it out to be, then finding yourself and your own unique style/disc should take at least as much time as finding your e.g. favourite type of music does...

Exactly this - it matters ALOT less than the practice. Choose whatever you want, just don't change it the moment you hit a rough patch.

Yep, don't let yourself think changing putters will improve your accuracy in a slump. It won't. If you hit a slump, hit the practice basket twice as hard, but damnit be faithful to your chosen putter! You stick with it and it will treat you well.

Yep, don't let yourself think changing putters will improve your accuracy in a slump. It won't. If you hit a slump, hit the practice basket twice as hard, but damnit be faithful to your chosen putter! You stick with it and it will treat you well.

I disagree with this somewhat. In the short term, sometimes changing your putter will be enough to get you to fully pay attention to what you are doing, notice and iron out flaws. In lieu of a coach, this can be helpful as sometimes players can 'just go through the motions'...In the long term, however, sticking with the mold you are most comfortable with, is best.

If practice makes perfect then practice perfection.

Hello. So how do people decide on putters. All my putters feel the same in the hands to me and I can putt within 10 feet of hole well with them all.

In your case, assuming that you putt outside of 10 feet to your satisfaction, then just pick whatever you can get a good quantity of on the cheap, like x-outs/misprints, bulk deals, etc.

Nothing helps you attack like the practice stack.

How do you find a putting putter? You pick up a damb Wizard, that's how.

So it's not until then your journey begins? When you pick up a Wizard/Aviar/Challenger/insert-other-deep-dish-stable-putter-name-here and decide it's crap?

So it's not until then your journey begins? When you pick up a Wizard/Aviar/Challenger/insert-other-deep-dish-stable-putter-name-here and decide it's crap?

Look up the word hyperbole. The point is, pick a putter and go with it. Don't change putters every week. Practice with the ones you have. Pretty sure a good putter would still be good no matter what they are putting with.

Look up the word hyperbole. The point is, pick a putter and go with it. Don't change putters every week. Practice with the ones you have. Pretty sure a good putter would still be good no matter what they are putting with.

Yes, finding the perfect angle, speed and height for your putt with that one disc is really key.

Sometimes i however have an easier time giving some super stable (Harp) putter anny, if the aim is on target it will loft there like a flat rock.

My way of deciding for putter was to practice 15-30' putts with the different ones (sure, its easier if you got the disc shopping addiction) and simply choosing the one with a good amount of glide and fade for my (relatively weak) putt. Pure stabs the basket but needs a little more speed then the slightly glidier Sarek so now im sticking to it. After a couple of hundreds of practice putts im finally as likely to put it in from 30' as my Nova...

As with any shot in disc golf, it's rarely the disc that's to blame. That's no different with putters. Nevertheless, it's advantageous mentally to find a putter that you trust and that feels comfortable for your style so that you're not doubting yourself. I've used a Buzzz or Comet as a putter many times either during one disc rounds or in a trimmed down travel bag. I'm always surprised at how well I putt with either, especially after getting used to them.

That said, I do have a "putting putter" and I have 6 of them so that I can cycle them and use them for practice. I'm not committed to that one, and I've definitely picked up some others along the way. My favorites are McPro Aviars (but I think I'm phasing them out), Wizards (Soft or RFF), Challengers, and I recently picked up some KC Pro because I'm suspicious I might be getting more consistent release with a bead. We shall see. I don't think I'm adding anything new, but I'd recommend trying others' discs when you're on the course at a practice basket with others. That's how I found out that Daggers feel really uncomfortable, or that while I love Opto Pures for throwing, I'm not as big of a fan of the baseline Pure for putts. It's also where I found out I liked the McPro Aviar and Wizard. Just ask any reasonably nice golfer, "Hey what do you putt with? Do you mind if I feel that or take some practice putts?"

Then, after you try something new, I'd say give it a chance. Especially if you buy one or two of a mold, make sure you leave it in the bag for at least a few rounds. Don't give up on it just because you weren't hitting 100% of your 25' putts the first time out.

For shorter putts I don't like a bead, but for longer putts I do. So I use a Warden for my push putts, and a Judge for longer spin putts and upshots. Both in classic blend plastic.

I threw a DX Aviar for like 8 years. LOVED IT. On a whim this year I grabbed an Organic Wizard and never looked back. Wizard are the real deal.

I still love my Aviar if I am really trying to run it from way back but anything around 30 feet and closer I'm going Wizard every time.

That's interesting. I have never gotten along with the MVP plastics for putting putters. They have always felt a bit slick to me, and I worry when they get wet. ...

Backing up Knettles post, Firm Electron is my favorite putter plastic. Nearly as rigid as KC or McPro, but grippy as R-Pro or Soft X. Prefer the wing of Challengers over any MVP disc, so I'm putting those. Jawbreaker feels pretty buttery too, though...

Let me preface this by saying I've been playing less than two months but I'll add my experience as a newbie to all the tremendous advice you've gotten so far.

I went with an Aviar P&A as my first putter because it was slow, pretty straight, many pros use Aviar (lol), and it was cheap in the DX plastic. I started putting with the traditional stance (left foot back/right foot forward) but really struggled finding a good consistent throw.

I then started putting straddle style which really improved my consistency. But with the Aviar the distance I was able to putt, and still feel like I was in control of my putt, really went down because of the low speed/glide numbers and not being able to quite get as much power with the straddle style.

I then pulled out my Lat 64 Pure that I had been using off the tee, or any time I needed a really straight throw, and tried it with my straddle style and it really seemed to increase the range of my straddle putt comfort zone. The numbers aren't that much different from the Aviar but it really seems to glide a good bit more.

I guess my point is that someone's putting style could also dictate what type of putter might be a good choice.

Again, this is just a newbie's point of view so take it for what little it's worth!

TripleB

Backing up Knettles post, Firm Electron is my favorite putter plastic. Nearly as rigid as KC or McPro, but grippy as R-Pro or Soft X. Prefer the wing of Challengers over any MVP disc, so I'm putting those. Jawbreaker feels pretty buttery too, though...

The Jawbreaker plastic is fantastic. Great grip, and the perfect amount of firmness IMO.

I think you have to consider more than putting here. A putter can do much more than see action inside the circle. See if you can find a mold that will help out with putts, approaches, and (shorter) drives. For instance, I use my Wizard for straddle putting inside the circle, jump putts up to 75', approaches inside of 150', and short/downhill drives. I've been known to backhand, sidearm, overhand and roll the same mold. Consider the versatility factor when your pick out your putter (or any mold for that matter).