• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to select a division to enter?

Kwick

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what division a player should enter? I just signed up for the PDGA and am thus unrated and can play in any AM divsion.

According to PDGA:

Recreational: available to amatuer players of all ages with ratings under 900, played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 ft make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots, score range 63+

Intermediate: ratings under 935, developing players who have played 2-3 years with improved consistency and accuracy. throw 250-350 feet, make 5-7 putts from 20 feet. score range under 63

Advanced: required am division if rated over 935, tournament experienced players who have played DG for several years and developed consistency. throw 300-450 fett, make 5-7/10 from 25-30 fett, ave different shots in their arsenal, score range under 58.

I have played on and off my first two years, and really got into it last summer.
I would qualify for Rec/Int player and was just wondering if there are benefits in playing Rec before my rating did not allow me to, or if I should just jump right into INT.

Would I be better suited taking 10 in INT in terms of prizes than maybe a top 3 in Rec?

Thanks for any help or advice that you have.

What do you generally shoot? That should give you an indicator of where to enter.

Upsides of playing rec...

- You'll likely have a better chance of winning/placing
- Entry fee may be cheaper
- You'll be playing against people who will be first timers themselves, so no pressure.

Upsides of playing intermediate...

- You will be playing against better skilled players whom you can learn from.
- Those players will in all likelihood have more tournament experience and can answer some questions for you regarding rules, etiquette, etc.

How well you do in terms of prizes will depend on the tournament, how the TD has structured the payout, and how many people show up in each division that day. What I wish newbies would learn is to not go into a tournament with the idea of how much discounted plastic they can score. They should go in with the idea of trying to improve their game, enjoying the competition, and most of all, having fun.

I'd stick with Rec until you've played at least 1 tourney (and maybe more) and feel comfortable playing in a tourney setting. Most divisions only pay out the top few spots (depending on the tourney size,) so taking 10th in Int won't really gain you anything more than 8th in Rec, other than playing with Int players, (which might be worth it if you pick up some shot ideas or tricks, etc.) Now if you're good enough to win Int, winning Rec would result in a lesser haul typically.

It also depends on your familiarity with the course. If it's your home course, that should give you some advantages and may make it worth it to play in the Int division. Conversely, if you've never played that course then more than likely you don't want to play Int against Int players who play that course every day.

And there are always baggers in tourneys so you'll probably have some Int caliber players in Rec and Adv players in Int, so more than likely your best shot at a first tourney would be to play Rec.

For me to figure tourney placings I add 5 strokes to each round above what i usually shoot on said course. If I do better than the 5 extra, I'm stoked, but I usually don't. Murphy's tourney law and all.

My opinion......if you've never played a tournament, enter recreational. This way, you learn about how everything works, rules, courtesy, etc... before you start getting really into the competition aspect. Not sure how your area is compared to here in S.Carolina, but there are some VERY good intermediate players here in our area. If you place very well in Rec. take a look at how your scores are vs. Int. If you are mid pack or higher in Int., and you feel comfortable with rules, and how the tournaments work, then your next tourney, move up to Int. If not, then stay in Rec., until you are at that point. Tournament play is much different than regular play with friends, and quite often you don't score as well as in a recreational game. Don't let your ego get the best of you and move up without testing the water first. Start low and move up!

So...Can you move up or down at any point between the 3 divisions? Can you also bump up to pro at any point too? curious...

You can go "Pro" whenever you want, but once you accept cash payout in a PDGA event, you must keep your pro status.

You can't move divisions during a tournament, but you can from tournament-to-tournament.

You can't be bumped to Pro---it's voluntary.

If at some point you play pro and win cash, and your rating is over 970, you can't play Am. Otherwise, after you've played tournaments and received a rating, you can play in any divisions your rating qualifies you for. (You can always play higher than your rating).

Intermediate all the way.

Rec is for first year players who aren't competitive.

No. Its for any player who isn't good enough for intermediate regardless of how long they've been playing.

One thing I might add, don't put too much stock into the PDGA's retarded names for divisions. I wish they'd go to a numerical system considering they already have division codes based on one.

He might be one of those, of course.

To your original post, I don't know about "better off", but you'll win more plastic if you play in the lower division. But hopefully, you're entering tournaments for something more than winning merchandise.

If it's a course you've played, tell the TD what your average round is and ask his advice. Or look up previous tournaments there and see which division your average score would put you in the middle of (or, your average score plus a handful).

I would play Rec for your first tourney. After the tourney you will have a better estimate of how differently you play in tournaments and what division you should enter based on ratings. Remember the PDGA guidelines only prevent you from playing below your rating, you can always play 'up.'

Also some areas stick to the PDGA guidelines very strictly and others almost expect you to play 'up' since they do not have a novice or rec division.

I am only rated at 862 (hoping to improve soon) which qualifies me to play rec, but I play intermediate since in my area I would be hounded for playing rec. This is becasue most other players of my ability play intermediate.

dude. bag.

play the lowest division until someone gives you **** about bagging and then move up. youll be set.:|

I've noticed there is some regionality about what division translates to what rating player. For example when I played in Michigan I saw 890 rated players in Rec. In PA (home for me) any discer rated that level would be playing atleast Int or possibly even Adv. Probably has something to do with the amount of participants in a given area. The best advice is reevalute after the 1st tournament and make the best decision for you. As mentioned you can always play a different division next time.

I even had a TD tell me Rec is only for the beginner. I didnt agree with it and sure enough I get home and there is novice division. That is for the first timer who doesnt play regularly. Sure there are guidlelines and recommendations but as long as your rating is under the upper limit, then you can play in a division even if the TD tells you you should be in a higher division. I understand what sandbagging is, and I do not feel I sandbagged this weekend. My rating is 846, I have been playing for just over 1 year (granted I have now played about 450 rounds in the 14 months I have been playing). My last tourney was in May last year so I had no idea what my rating would be if I had been playing in tourneys all year. I had gotten better (went from a rating of like 750-846 over the course of my first 4 tourneys, but there is no way to measure how much better I had gotten since then. Well I stayed in recreational division because of how low my rating was (and technically I could have still played novice (although it is rarely used as a division). I won recreational by 6 shots, and I would have tied for 6th (out of 30 people) in intermediate, and even finished near the money in advanced. I wasnt sandbagging, I just was following my rating. I am going to move up to intermediate now even though my rating will likely still only be about 870 after this tourney gets used, but now I know I am capable of shooting what the intermediate players and even some advanced players shoot. That is where I am best suited now. I will play intermediate for a while until i feel I am better paired with advanced players.

SO use the rating as a guideline (when you have established one), but when you either win your division or regularly place in the top 3 in your division, you should think about stepping up a division. You might struggle to place or get any prizes for a little hwile but I guarantee when you play with better players your game will improve quicker too.

Prior to establishing a rating, try and figure out who you would be most competetive with. Dont start in rec just because, if you have been playing a lot and are streadily improving then try intermediate. Odds are if you have never played in a torueny you might not fare as well as you do in casual play. Perhaps ask the TD for assistance, tell him/her what you normally shoot at the course where the tourney is and he could probably help you figure out where you should be.

Play in whatever division you feel comfortable playing in. Meaning, you don't want to feel guilty for winning by a lot because you were allowed to play in a lower division. Also, don't play in a division that you are going to get killed in, you want to feel competative.

As far as your rating is concerned, I have found that the lower division I play in the more likely I am to get a lower round rating. Not good in my opinion, yet I am still playing Rec in my first tourney this year. I do expect it to be my last Rec tourney.

I'd suggest Rec if you've never played a tournament before. It's different than just playing a round with buddies. Some tourneys won't have them though, so you may be forced to do Intermediate.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, Rec is not for people who don't take tournaments seriously. I've played in rec divisions that were very competitive.

you should play your first tournament in Rec. see how you do and then for the next tournament enter the appropriate division. why stress yourself out. plus you dont always play your best in a tournament.

I have played one competitive tourney before, other than that just local league play.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the tourney since there were backups on holes and the pace of play was very slow. it definitely hurt my score a little.

I have just not played a PDGA event before.

there is a "one and done" tourney this weekend where you play one round of 27 holes with only one disc (in the snow :( ). it's pdga sanctioned, and you do get points, but since it is only one disc, it isn't rated.

I also agree with other players that they should perhaps change the name of the divisions. Rec kind of seems degrading, but is for players rated under 900.

I don't feel like 900 is a bad rating at all. My goal this year is to get over 900, although I will likely play INT before hitting that goal.