• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How would you shoot this turnover...?

practically invincible

Birdie Member
Setup: 375' with about a 75 foot turn to the right starting about halfway down. It's an overgrown creek of sorts on the righ so you co straight over it, but that puts you about 30' about the basket and you catch a cross breeze. It's mostly open in a field on the left of the fairway area. What I want to is how much would you try to get the disc to turn? Just subtle to make it round the bend? Or come out farther right and make it dive down turning hard? Would you want it still in the turn as it approaches the bastket? Or starting to fade out?

I'm just starting to really use turnover drives, so I need some tips. I ended up going out left and cranking hard, it hit the ground about 30 ft before the basket but by some weird thing did a tiny bit of cut roll and went crazy left of the basket.

You needed more height on that shot.

When I throw a line like that, I go for turning right further than the basket and fading back towards it. I usually throw my flippy Z Surge SS about 60-70 feet in the air and let it work it's magic.

We've got a real similar shot here. Usually I'll try to throw a high hard annhyzer. If it floats the entire way in I'll have a birdy chance. If it comes out of the annhyzer early I still have a pretty easy lay up.

I trust throwing an annhyzer the entire way more than throwing flat to get a turn over.

Any elevation?

It wasn't quite clear, but if there is danger on the right, I would hyzer flip my 150 class Leopard pretty much down the fairway, which would turn a decent amount but not dive...it would glide in very nicely, start to fade back, and be pretty much flat at landing at that distance. The risk is that I don't get enough on it and it flies dead straight with some fade, but that sounds like a safe landing area from what you said.

If there's not really any danger right, I might try a high anhyzer with my lightest Monarch.

If I wasn't feeling very confident, I'd hyzer flip my Meteor to ensure a safe landing on the fairway, and I'd just accept the fact that I'll probably have a 40' putt for birdie.

Of course, I'm a lefty, so what I'd actually do is hyzer my Groove or a Teebird right in there!

I dont think it was height, I just flipped it really hard right, and it was to much anny to come back at that point. I'll try it with a smidge less hyzer and try to get it to fade back a touch. Landing is pretty safe, and there's about a 10-15' rise about 150 ft down the fairway. In all honesty, I was tryin to stretch it for an easy bird, I had no desire to play it safe. I had considered an Anhyzer release with a slightly more stable disc, but I've played with alot of more advanced players who used turnovers when the only shot I had was the anny, I'm trying to add another shot to my game, instead of a disc.

How tight of a shot is it? If its tight a midrange to the bend, putter up shot, drop in 3. If its open with room around the basket then a roller/anny with a valk if I need a two. But 9/10 times with tight left to right shots ill up shot and take my 3 while the other players take their chances.

Tried the roller, its a pretty rocky gravely field with a bunch of yucca, and I don't have a turnover wasp right now. I'm ot to worried about playin it safe since it's all open to the left. I tried the shot again with less hyzer off the rip and it turned and faded back and went right past the basket about 10 feet left. Just needs a few more tries. Thanks for the input fellas.

(Sidearm is a no go over 200 ft because I have CT in my right wrist and that motion is brutal on it.

I have a similar hole at my course. with wind I'll use my sidewinder with a higher line and let it dive hard. Without it gets the avenger on a low line that usually allows it to skip or slide closer to the pin.

domromer said:
We've got a real similar shot here. Usually I'll try to throw a high hard annhyzer. If it floats the entire way in I'll have a birdy chance. If it comes out of the annhyzer early I still have a pretty easy lay up.

I trust throwing an annhyzer the entire way more than throwing flat to get a turn over.

Nine, McPherson?

practically invincible said:
(Sidearm is a no go over 200 ft because I have CT in my right wrist and that motion is brutal on it.

Ah, ok. In that case I'd use an Opto Vision with a slight hyzer release, by the time it turns and stays it should be up to the turn you mentioned.

Latest posts