• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I broke my non-throwing shoulder

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
9 days ago, I broke my non-throwing shoulder. I thought it was just a bad sprain (I fell onto it but when I got up, I couldn't lift my arm). It didn't hurt, I just couldn't move my arm up in front of me. I went to work a couple days and finally went to see the doctor and found out that my shoulder (specifically the greater tuberosity of my humerus) was fractured right about where one of the rotator cuffs attaches. I went to an orthopedic who had me go get a CT scan on it to determine if surgery is required. This was last Friday. Again, it only hurts if I try to move it (which I still can't lift it at all) I go back to the ortho day after tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Anyone here ever do something similar? If so, did you play at all during the recovery? I can throw flicks all day without pain but I'm capped at about 150'. 200' sometimes gives me a sting because I have to untwist my trunk a bit. I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...

Anyway, not looking for sympathy, just looking for folks who might have tried to get through something similar and anecdotal suggestions for a return back to the disc golf scene...

I destroyed my left shoulder years ago. I had to sleep in a recliner for 3 months because lying down was too painful. So mine was much worse. I still can't lift my left arm above horizontal and that is a bit of a strain.

For playing thru that I would ask your physical therapist. Mine always told me pain was OK as long as it went away right away.

It might not have been worse, if he's not feeling any pain there might be nerve damage also. That isn't good...

Ah, there's pain, but only when it gets touched or moved or if I try to move it. I also have to sleep sitting up. If I hadn't gotten all that practice over the years doing that while watching TV, I'd complain more ;)

I broke that area of my left arm/shoulder many years ago mountain biking. Far before I knew about disc golf, so I can't comment on that part from direct experience...but I don't think I would have been able to do much other than FH upshots and putting. I had my arm in a sling and I think eventually harder FH shots would be fine, but I definitely understand why you're capped below 200' like that. I would be most worried about slipping, because you can't put that arm out but your brain will try to and that hurts. That's a concern both during throws, and also if you're carrying a bag around and it starts to get into that muddy fall time of year where you can take a random spill.

I'd use the downtime to get really good at putting and upshots if you're itching to keep playing. Just don't risk hurting yourself worse by suddenly tweaking that off arm during higher intensity throws.

I would be most worried about slipping, because you can't put that arm out but your brain will try to and that hurts. That's a concern both during throws, and also if you're carrying a bag around and it starts to get into that muddy fall time of year where you can take a random spill.

Honestly, that's what's been spooking me the most. I think I would keep my throws to a level of comfort, but it's the random slip...
I have my arm in a sling, but I was thinking that if I actually did go try to play, I'd kind of strap my arm/sling a little tighter to my body, but even so, a fall is a fall, and falling on the shoulder itself is just dumb. :/

Good luck healing man, I've had partial tears in both rotator cuffs and it's rough.

I dislocated my off shoulder a number of years ago. I was in a sling for a month and then it was another 6 months or so before I could do anything athletic beyond jogging. I wasn't able to throw anywhere near full power for about a year. I actually stopped playing for the most part before getting back into it a few years later.

That said, I did not do a good job keeping up with the physical therapy so I theoretically could have been ready to go sooner if I did.

Just to add, in my case it was just the fracture and I didn't need surgery because the bones were still aligned/compressed together fine. There was just some grinding of scar tissue in the shoulder after I was able to move the arm around again. Essentially I just had a lot of muscle atrophy and had to do all the physio stuff to get back strength and make sure I felt comfortable with range of motion.

I lost a little bit of range of motion like if I lay on my stomach with my arm above my head, my shoulder does not touch down because I can't quite get my arm all the way extended outward. This doesn't bother me at all in everyday life or any sports I play.

Hopefully it's a similar thing for you. I just didn't want to risk anything weird happening by pushing any sports too soon. One of the most painful things I did while I was already in the sling, was trying to catch something that was falling off a counter instinctively with my broken arm. So it's not just if you fall or slip or something and avoiding hitting the shoulder/arm, it's making your brain so used to your situation that you don't try to use it in a sudden way. And then after the sling is gone, not doing everyday tasks funny because you're used to only having one arm.

One of the most painful things I did while I was already in the sling, was trying to catch something that was falling off a counter instinctively with my broken arm.

This... happened a couple days ago. I was casually playing Kan-Jam and afterwards, we were just playing catch and someone distracted me and the guy throwing to me was like "hey watch out" and I instinctively went to block with both hands and... this was far more painful than anything thus far (including the original fall). And now I have a lovely black and yellow bruise. But yeah, that whole reflex thing

There's a member here that might have some advice for you--I'm trying to remember his name again. Oh yeah, Broken Shoulder! :D

Must make it difficult to throw and drink a beer at the same time?

First, your doc will tell you what kind of motions you're allowed. I just recovered from a broken leg. I told the doctor exactly what I wanted to do and how. He set limits and told me when I could progress. Was really good about it too. Bone docs often have a connection to sport and they understand wanting to play. Second, follow his advice on play and working the bone to heal properly. If you do that, you will heal way way faster.

...I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...

Become the greatest putter the game has ever seen.

You have my sympathies though. My left side is trashed, and recovery was no fun.

Sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully you'll get fixed up and fully recovered soon. Like someone above said, ask your doctors about what you can (and cannot) do re: disc golf.

Sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully you'll get fixed up and fully recovered soon. Like someone above said, ask your doctors about what you can (and cannot) do re: disc golf.

So I went to the orthopedic yesterday. He said, "how's Friday look for your operation?"
I was like, "uh, ok I guess? It needs to happen then?"
"No doubt. Don't worry, it's like an hour and a half outpatient surgery. Going to fix the rotator cuff and the fracture. There isn't much damage to the rotator cuff but the fracture's a problem because it looks to be growing"
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence
"Like, can I drive home?"
more silence, then finally, "You're not going to be driving for a couple weeks."
"Wait, what? I have to drive my kids to an event Friday night."
"I'd change the plans. You're going to be in pain and there's no way you're driving."
"What about the following week? I need to get to work."
"You're going to be on serious painkillers. So no."
"Can I just take some ibuprofen or naproxen or something?"
"You can try, but... let's just take this one step at a time. And the first step is, you won't be driving anywhere this weekend."
"Ok, so I have to ask, what can I do? I mean active-wise? I play tennis and disc golf"
"You're done with anything that can possibly move that shoulder for four months. Especially any activity where you can fall on it, bump it, shake it, unexpectedly try to move it. Done. Your arm will be immobile for about six weeks when we'll start some exercises and rehabilitation exercises slowly. Don't...be...dumb."

So yeah. I'll just putt in my backyard til next year I guess :\

So I went to the orthopedic yesterday. He said, "how's Friday look for your operation?"
"No doubt. Don't worry, it's like an hour and a half outpatient surgery. Going to fix the rotator cuff and the fracture. There isn't much damage to the rotator cuff but the fracture's a problem because it looks to be growing"
"So uh, can I drive?"
silence
more silence, then finally, "You're not going to be driving for a couple weeks."
"I'd change the plans. You're going to be in pain and there's no way you're driving."
"You can try, but... let's just take this one step at a time. And the first step is, you won't be driving anywhere this weekend."
"Ok, so I have to ask, what can I do? I mean active-wise? I play tennis and disc golf"
"You're done with anything that can possibly move that shoulder for four months. Especially any activity where you can fall on it, bump it, shake it, unexpectedly try to move it. Done. Your arm will be immobile for about six weeks when we'll start some exercises and rehabilitation exercises slowly. Don't...be...dumb."

I doubt it, I don't think the pain will allow that. It took me 2 years before someone putting their hand on my shoulder didn't hurt. In the long run do as the doc says, you'll be glad.

Also, while your immobile your elbow will start to freeze up, be aware of that also.

"So uh, can I drive?"
silence

Been there done that, and then some. It will be a long process. Be patient.

I made the mistake of trying to go back too early, after the sling came off and during the physical therapy. Horrible mistake. I changed my motion to keep my non-throwing arm more stable. Picked up some bad habits during that time and never got back to the proper throwing motion.

9 days ago, I broke my non-throwing shoulder. I thought it was just a bad sprain (I fell onto it but when I got up, I couldn't lift my arm). It didn't hurt, I just couldn't move my arm up in front of me. I went to work a couple days and finally went to see the doctor and found out that my shoulder (specifically the greater tuberosity of my humerus) was fractured right about where one of the rotator cuffs attaches. I went to an orthopedic who had me go get a CT scan on it to determine if surgery is required. This was last Friday. Again, it only hurts if I try to move it (which I still can't lift it at all) I go back to the ortho day after tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Anyone here ever do something similar? If so, did you play at all during the recovery? I can throw flicks all day without pain but I'm capped at about 150'. 200' sometimes gives me a sting because I have to untwist my trunk a bit. I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...

Anyway, not looking for sympathy, just looking for folks who might have tried to get through something similar and anecdotal suggestions for a return back to the disc golf scene...

Really sorry to hear this bfish, did you fall discing?

"So uh, can I drive?"
silence

Sorry to hear it. Got to fix what's broken though. You are going to need to come to terms with the injury pretty quickly. Obstinance, stubbornness, and thinking you know more than the doc is going to cost you. Listen to the ortho doc and the physical therapists. Don't try to be a man and tough it out. Pain is a funny thing. It burns body resources, ones you need to heal and fight infection. Take the pain meds when you need them. Take stool softeners while you are on them. Short term repairs for long term progress. Good luck.

Latest posts