• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I can BARELY break 300'

Reading this I realized that when doing my throw, I haven't really been engaging my toes and feet at all. I went back and watched the crush the can videos and during a demonstration of coming over the top/not bracing against the right side, Sidewinder mentions "throwing flat footed".

Now this stuck out because I have fairly flat feet, and have actually worried from time to time that this would prevent me from being able to shift properly. So I then tried to just bounce on the balls of my feet/ toes, back and forth

Just a bit of disambiguation, and I think you have it conceptually, there's a difference between being "flat-footed" and having flat feet. The first is mostly about weight being distributed evenly front and back over your whole foot (not being in an athletic position). The latter relates to the arch of your foot, which will have some bearing on athletic motions.

I'm not familiar with the details of the impact of having flat feet, but having played other sports with some people with flat feet, they have mentioned some issues with balance because of it. This is probably something you're aware of.

Yeah throwing flat footed has nothing really to do with having flat feet.

I have really flat feet and wear custom orthotics. I don't have great balance either which is why posture is so important and landing with the front foot more underneath my body instead of staggered too far away.

I'm not too worried about the flat footed thing, If it does affect my ability then I'll just get as good as I can. Did the move in that previous video look good though? It feels right, but I wanted to double check before I go try and re-tool my form in the wrong direction.

I went out and threw today, trying out my fancy new foot trick. I think these throws still look a little sloppy, but if I'm right, I think I may have finally gotten off of the back foot through my hit. I will leave the final determination of that to the experts, but I'm really hoping that I got it at this point.

I was trying to keep my back arm in front of me, but man does that habit die REALLY hard. I also noticed my elbow wasn't very forward, so I'll need to work on that too.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odrIQqO3v_4

Looking better. Your tendency is to stride too staggered closed, and your arm/elbow drag too much behind your body, so your body is striding into your arm swing path and collapsing it, instead of clearing out of the way of it and creating space to swing thru.

Went out to throw again today, and man it was wet. I pushed through though. I decided to get from the side, and the back view in the same video so I could put my tripod away immediately after, as I didn't want it falling in puddles while I went to grab my discs.

Still keeping with the feet transfer trick from before. After watching these, I think I was letting my knees drift apart too much, and I might be tipping over my brace a bit still. Back arm is still a problem, and you can see me actually reach across and grab my other pocket to try and keep it in front for a few of the throws.

I also got a different angle for the second video. I don't know if this angle is particularly helpful so let me know if I should keep doing that or not.

I also think I might be bending my knees a little too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f35ks0A2xzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snOvXznTXm4

I also wanted to ask if I should try and start practicing x steps again. I threw a couple today with an x step and actually managed to put one out to 395!!!! So close to breaking my 400 goal.

I like the pocket grab! I would stick with standstill/ small stride.

Your knees are too close together, need to separate them. In door frame drill your front leg should stride forward and stretch you more from front knee/hip away from front shoulder.

In the behind view you are drifting too diagonal, losing butt wipe pressure.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.25.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 2.25.56 PM.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 45
Tried again today. I was trying to focus this time on getting my knees more separate and still trying to keep my friggin back arm in front. That alone is becoming a very hard habit to break. I was also focusing on trying to bring my plant step more in line with my back foot and less diagonal In watching these I am seeing that my upper body still seems kind of angled forward through the hit, kind of like when I was tipping over the brace and not getting off the back leg from before. I honestly can't tell if I'm still throwing from the back foot or not in this video, so a quick confirmation on that would be great. Besides that, as always just let me know what you see, and thank you again for continuing to look at these assuredly repetitive form videos lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaXLCBpwi6o

You are starting the disc high in the reach back (at time of initiating the swing) then dipping the disc then bringing it up resulting in a nose up angle. Probably explains why you are skying your discs in the air.

The disc starts at about shoulder height then dips almost to your belt before ejecting slightly above your belt.

Try to keep the disc on more of a flat plane, which is what you do in the practice swing.

I had this (still have this...) issue with the off arm flapping around. I think it comes from trying to be extra loose (which ultimately is a good thing, been down the ol' robot stiff road too).

I'm finding that I pretty much can't take my focus off of it, the second I do it's flapping again. I was was also "reaching back" instead of loading or coiling back (see inside swing drill/door frame for feel). This led me to over rotating, but I think your back swing looks pretty decent.

I try to fix it for the mean time by throwing low power shorter backswing shots and focusing on keeping my hand in front of my body holding the beverage. This is (at least to me) a mind trick to stop my hand from moving anywhere behind me.

So I'm actually pretty excited for this. I tried out some practice swings inside a few times, focusing on bringing my shoulders perpendicular to the target instead of over rotating. It felt like I was keeping my reachback more controlled I guess I could say? In doing this it feels like my timing is a lot better. I think I can finally feel the "leveraged" feel and it felt like I'm getting more into the power pocket, because my hand/the disc didn't have as far to travel to get to the position that it's supposed to be in.

I'm also getting a mental picture from it of holding something in front of me like a battering ram and just bringing that battering ram on a straight line in front of my body instead of over rotating and swinging the battering ram behind me. It feels like having an ever so slightly shorter reachback makes timing everything easier.

And now because I have a clear and singular idea that I can focus on in my field work, it is of course raining and I can't go out today... Oh well, once I do get out I'll let you guys know how it goes, but for the first time in the almost 2.5 years since I started this, I really feel like I'm close to getting it right.

Last edited:
Well I explained most of my thought process on this throw in the previous post, so I won't go over that again. I did find that when I tried to throw just keeping my arm to my side, it went straight around back again, so I decided to give it a job. I'm putting it out near my throwing arm during the reachback, and then really slamming it down through the shot, and that seemed to work great. I could really notice the disc releasing cleaner, and these did legitimately go a little farther than normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmT-XmFRhpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v7S1raluIU

Looking better. Start in a wider stance and take a smaller stride. Get your throwing elbow more forward.

This video was kind of late so Its a bit hard to see, but I'm mainly focusing on getting my elbow more forward, while keeping everything I've been doing so far

https://youtu.be/hfsurLMh_64

Also I did some x steps after I took this video and this happened

Attachments

• UDisc Measured Throw-1621382331274.jpg
    UDisc Measured Throw-1621382331274.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts