• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I love my Katana

I am loving pro katanas, I have about 6 now a few domey and a few super flat. They both have their places in my bag. Longest disc I have thrown.

As i didn't have much use for the flippy King i tuned the PLH higher but still about 0.3 mm lower than the good straight King and it still is kinda flippy. I think i will tune it up some more for more consistency. At this point the tuned King released flat at full power with about 18' apex turns a lot as in automated s-curve machine and goes 400'. A lot of sideways action. Only open course disc if you don't hyzer flip it within a degree or two accuracy. Which is better than the more stringent requirement of broken in 167 Protanas.

I have to release my Kings from hyzer, they'll turn over for me every time and how long I can keep it riding that angle is what gives me whatever distance I get. If I can get it to ride out the turn and fade a little in the last 10% or so, they give me a good 420'-460'. Fading early or not at all kills distance quickly. I generally have a hard time replicating that on command so I'll claim 380'-400' consistently.

I find I need more hyzer on my Kings than my Katanas but I usually can keep my King closer to my target.

Can't sleep. I got my 173 Tournament King yesterday and took my distance drivers to the field for a test drive.

PLH (Lowest to Highest):
173 Tournament King/ +.75 mm plh 172 Z Nuke / +0.25 mm 168 (not 167 as previously recalled) Pro Katana / +0.75 mm 171 Star Katana / +0.25 170 Tourney Sword

Dome (Lowest to Highest):
Startana (flat starting from stamp) / Sword (flat starting from stamp ) / Protana (moderate dome)/ King (domey; non-drooping leading edge)/ Nuke (a hair domeier than King)

The past few weeks I've been tinkering with my form trying to add more reachback and quick footed run ups so my Katanas, which haven't been in the bag for a few months now or involved in the new form practice, weren't turning over like I remember them doing. They did have several half hit stall outs like I remember them doing. I finally gave my newish Star Katana a few degrees anny and had a wide sweeping s-curve out to around 450'.

The King performed very well and flipped up and over on similar feeling throws to my Sword. I had several throws to 450' with a few shorter ones landing around 410'. I had to wait for some dog walkers to clear and got a little break at the end of my session and quit on my longest rip of the day close to 470'. The King as mentioned earlier needs a wide open space similar to my Katanas. I had several throws into a 10mph headwind which aided the turn a fair amount but didn't burn it over like it might with my Protana. I tried to turn the King over into a roller and it hit the ground about 30' right of straight less than 300' out into a cut roller left. I'm not sure I can put enough anny with my form to do the same with my Z Nuke.

I struggled turning the Nuke over today and had more than half fade out early ending left of my target line. I did get one throw out to 450' on a tight s-curve that may have gone further with more than the 15' height I gave it.

The Sword isn't in the same distance class but the consistant hyser flip turnover was there everytime and on tighter s-curves than all the above. I'd estimate it to be 20' shorter than my King today but the shortest throws were longer than my shortest King throws. Now that I think about it the short King throws were early in the session before I realized I could throw it the same way I throw the Sword.

NoLifeLeft said:
I have to release my Kings from hyzer, they'll turn over for me every time and how long I can keep it riding that angle is what gives me whatever distance I get. If I can get it to ride out the turn and fade a little in the last 10% or so, they give me a good 420'-460'. Fading early or not at all kills distance quickly. I generally have a hard time replicating that on command so I'll claim 380'-400' consistently.

I find I need more hyzer on my Kings than my Katanas but I usually can keep my King closer to my target.

That sounds like the flippy FR King. I don't know how to identify a second run one. If i were you i'd seriously consider tuning the outside edge up. I did that to my flippy VIP King and the outside edge is still a little lower than the good King and still it flips. I think i need to tune them equal in PLH to see, what the dome difference does to these discs in HSS. I also got a TP 167 King that is flatter, but it was the domiest i could find in the local store. It'll be a few days before i can throw though.

NoLifeLeft said:

+1... I guess I got a hyzer flipping King too but so far I'm liking it for more consistent D than I recall with my Katanas... more field practice required.

My TP 167 flatter than both VIPs King is flippy. I have not yet had the time to compare PLH. It's a no no in winds beyond a little breeze. It needs more initial hyzer than i prefer. About 12-13 degrees to flip to flat. It seems a little faster, quicker flipping and fades a little less. Only open field usable if you have space on the right. So tuning seems to be required to make it usable on a golf course. I hope it will stay less LSS than the VIPs. It could become long, because despite being thinner in the flight plate height it glides well.

We may have a different interpretation of what is flippy. My TP could not work at all in winds that were beyond the slightest breeze. Abrupt steep flip with no margin of error. I couldn't get a single good shot with it in winds an a soccer field. No joy that disc needs more HSS to be usable even though i liked the lesser fade of it better to VIP Kings. Flippy King is a fool for life for everything but rollers.

I just got an E* today for a stamp I did. Its got a great dome and a really great blend. I may have tobtry this puppy out.

I use the echo* katanas for forehands and they go longer than anything ive ever flicked. i was surprised hoe stable it actually was forehand.

All you guys loving on the King and Domed up Katanas w/ super glide should try to get your hands on some E*DD2's and new SDD2's. They are very similar to the bid domey stiff E*Katanas and I feel have just a bit more stability for wind fighting.

Trey133 said:
All you guys loving on the King and Domed up Katanas w/ super glide should try to get your hands on some E*DD2's and new SDD2's. They are very similar to the bid domey stiff E*Katanas and I feel have just a bit more stability for wind fighting.
The green ES-DD2's are flat and a tick more overstable still, very good for max D in the wind.

Kip traded me a Z Nuke SS... this is not your typical SS from Discraft. Usually the SS discs have perfectly flat wings (like there version of an "L" disc from Innova). The Avenger SS is perfectly flat except for some shrinkage (for example). I found the Nuke SS to be quite nice with a true notched lip. It throws like a slightly more stable Katana. No complaints here. It has a very Teebird flight. Very straight, to flat, to fade... Nice.