• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need your guidance

MrLia

Hello People :thmbup:

I have been playing this beautiful game a couple of months now and I have to say that I am hooked. At the start I played just for fun but now I want to be better so I can challenge my buddies who recruited me to disc golf. I have started to do some field work and I think I have developed myself to the better but I need some pointers. At the start I did just use my arm and upper body (strong arming) And I am trying to relearn all I have done so far. At the moment I try to get the hang of bracing/weight shift so please hit me up with something good. I would much appreciate if you could point out some things I do good so I can take some positives out of this, if there is something good of course. And is there any special order you guys would recommend to learn things?

On this throw I used an escape 172G, it did go about 90M/295feet

https://youtu.be/Fxx3rA9GF9E

Looks like the drastic hyserangle isn't quite intended.

If you watch the plantfoot at the brace you realise the heel is liftning from the ground, your weight is on you toes. Focus on getting the weight down on your heel.

Disclaimer: My username is to be taken literally.

Wouldn't hurt to get your shoulders 90 degrees to target in the backswing 'push the disc further back'. And your swing has to start from the bottom up, which for me is a mental exercise in patience. I tend to pull/unwind my shoulders too early, before my hips have shifted forward. Plant, shift hips, then shoulders, and finally 'pound the hammer' at the last second.

Throw some hammers.

Wouldn't hurt to get your shoulders 90 degrees to target in the backswing 'push the disc further back'. And your swing has to start from the bottom up, which for me is a mental exercise in patience. I tend to pull/unwind my shoulders too early, before my hips have shifted forward. Plant, shift hips, then shoulders, and finally 'pound the hammer' at the last second.

Throw some hammers.

Sadly, I don't have a hammer in the apartment but I got some hand-held weights that could work, just to get a feel of it.

Last edited:
Looks like the drastic hyserangle isn't quite intended.

If you watch the plantfoot at the brace you realise the heel is liftning from the ground, your weight is on you toes. Focus on getting the weight down on your heel.

Disclaimer: My username is to be taken literally.
I don't have control on my angels just yet. I didn't even notice that my heel lifted off, will definitely work on that.

Are doing som fieldwork tomorrow will post a video from the side then.

Lots of videos on disc golf that will help with the steep learning curve. They won't answer all your questions but they do help.

I started in March so I've only been throwing a little longer than you.

Every newb wants distance. We all do—DGCR is filled with "help me throw far threads. Nothing wrong with that, but really it comes with time.

Two areas to focus on: mids (50'-250') and putting.

Start out at 50-100' for the majority of your practice. Throw low flat/straight at a target of about a 10-15' circle. Throw hyzers and anhyzer at the circle. Work your way out to 200-250' over time.

Get a stack of putters (5-10) and work your way out from the basket at 5' intervals starting with your comfort range (.usually 10-15') for newbs.

If you spend most of your effort throwing smooth and relaxed + good form and work that out to 200' or so, your game will be sound.

If you can drop a putter or a mid in the circle 1x+ (10-15') you can compete with your buddies id bet.

Trying to throw big off the tee as a newb is very hit and miss. If your course has any trouble, you'll find it frequently that way.

What you will find is that once you have decent control 200-250' and in, the distance gains are easier to make. Walk before you run. Run before you jump. Build a good foundation.

Will bring all my putters to the field tomorrow and do as you say. Just have to be patience and not stress. As they say, slow is smooth, smooth is far.

I don't have control on my angels just yet. I didn't even notice that my heel lifted off, will definitely work on that.

A slight clarification. The angle isn't all that I'm hoping improves from this but rather hoping it helps with the followthrough and hip that in the video looks trapt/locked behind your plantleg.

Not sure it's a good idea to work on form on snow. Ice skates might be more appropriate so that you can better create and brace/resist against the horizontal motion without having to worry about shoes slipping. It looks like you are relying on more vertical forces because you either physically can't and or are scared to try and create more horizontal and rotational force.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138273

Camera angle looks funky/diagonal. Should be straight on from side tee and/or straight behind tee. 2 angles are better than 1.

You need to setup more relaxed and neutral and upright and dynamic and athletic wider stance moving between your feet back and forth and swinging out to the target back and forth. Only need a 3" to 6" stride of the front foot, not 36". Might help to setup in super wide stance and then step front foot back closer to rear foot a few inches during backswing and plant into a narrow stance and swing.

You start really static and narrow stance with both feet close together, both knees bent, both hips collapsed/anterior pelvis tilt/butt out, so your posture bent/folded/collapsed, and arm/disc never addressed to target. Need to engage your glutes in the setup so your pelvis is more underneath you into more athletic stacked aligned posture head to toe. Keep your chin up above your shoulders. Your head kind of ducks down below your shoulders during the swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m57s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.59.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.59.17 PM.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 98
Thank you for such a detailed answer.

Will definitely work on my posture next time, will keep you posted!

Sorry for the bad camera angel, forgot my tripod at home so had to put my phone up against the goal post.

No video today but I have a question.

I seem to jank all my throws high and to the right (RHBH) I think this is because I do not get my elbow out enough, leading with the elbow? And I think I am tilting my wrist upwards on the release not being able to keep my wrist down. Are there some good drills I can do to try and fix this?

Latest posts