• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
image-4_zps5433f665.jpg

image-4_zpsc9efe042.jpg

Thanks for the edge pics. It's not a Monarch. There was a bit of an optical illusion, a trick of the light I guess, in your bottom view pic that gave me the impression it had the shape of a Monarch; which is quite distinctive. But the edge view proves that it's not. Sorry for the false lead. I think you and Rol6566 are right that it's 1st run Whippet.

with that stamp its either a fr whip or fr gator..im not sure they put that on anything else?i could b wrong though

Monarchs never had that stamp.

I just thought since it was an X-out, it could have had a wrong stamp on it. And in the bottom view picture there was trick of the light that made the rim look like it had that Monarch shape. My mistake. :doh:

spdvsspd-vi.jpg

removing the color helped the outline. on the left is supposed to be an SPD. its marked by the stamp and markings on the back as such. on the right is a first run SPD that i just got from DGV (and 3 others that are exactly the same). did innova mis-mark this disc on the left? i cant find anywhere that the pd was changed. i also have a new pd and it has the anhyzer top (but less dome). anyone have an answer?

Innova did make the PD with a different top, and I see both tops all the time to this day. I don't throw the PD so I can't tell you much more than that.

I recently bought this used disc at Play It Again Sports, just because it felt really good to me. I have thrown it, and really like it. Trouble is, I don't know what it is, so I can't replace it, or buy a backup. I'd like to ID it if at all possible, and any help would be greatly appreciated. It has a standard Innova X-out stamp that is almost completely faded + the raised Innova patent info on the bottom of the flight plate. The handwritten ID marking in the middle of the underside of the flight plate is completely gone. The guys at the store were pretty clueless. They thought it was a wraith, which it obviously is not. I don't have a way to measure it's dimensions precisely, but they are roughly as follows:

Diameter: 21.1cm
Height: 1.8cm? Can't really measure this well.
Rim Depth: 1.1cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 17.6cm
Rim Thickness: 1.7cm

This puts if within the ballpark of (unfortunately) quite a number of Innova discs. :wall: My best guess is a Sidewinder, as it flies quite understable. I've never thrown Sidewinders before, but I looked on www.inboundsdiscgolf.com, and the flight pattern is a pretty close match. The plastic is a very soft/gummy Champion plastic. I think the most distinctive feature about it is the very edge of the wing, which has a very noticeable lip that hangs down. You can't really see it by looking at it, but you can sure feel it with your fingers. None of my other discs have this lip, and I'm wondering if somebody can tell me of other models that have this, as I think it might be a big clue.

That's all I can think to mention off the top of my head. Please let me know if there are any other details I've missed, and should post. And once again, thanks for any and all help. :)

PC130109_zpsd7e199f9.jpg

PC130110_zps4b929549.jpg

PC130111_zpse1a2e20d.jpg

It's a Teebird. The fact that it's gummy might mean it's a 150-class. See if you can put it on a scale somewhere. That would also explain why it would fly understable for you. I'm not saying 150-class Teebirds are understable, but they are more sensitive to arm speed.

spdvsspd-vi.jpg

removing the color helped the outline. on the left is supposed to be an SPD. its marked by the stamp and markings on the back as such. on the right is a first run SPD that i just got from DGV (and 3 others that are exactly the same). did innova mis-mark this disc on the left? i cant find anywhere that the pd was changed. i also have a new pd and it has the anhyzer top (but less dome). anyone have an answer?

Man they need to quit effing with the PD. I accidentally picked up a C-PD with a + rim recently and it is just awful.

So I got a 7/10 barstamp gator and a 9/10 pro firebird(not kc) for $10. I was wondering if pro firebirds that aren't kc are rare or oop?

spdvsspd-vi.jpg

Test configuration on the left. One of the early test runs. They were sold as such at the factory store, but unfortunately they have found their way into normal stock at a couple stores

They are more overstable than the regular s lines and thats why they got changed

Test configuration on the left. One of the early test runs. They were sold as such at the factory store, but unfortunately they have found their way into normal stock at a couple stores

They are more overstable than the regular s lines and thats why they got changed

thank you, sir.

It's a Teebird. The fact that it's gummy might mean it's a 150-class. See if you can put it on a scale somewhere. That would also explain why it would fly understable for you. I'm not saying 150-class Teebirds are understable, but they are more sensitive to arm speed.

Thank you very much for your response. I should have mentioned the weight in my original post. It's 153g, so you guessed very well. :clap:

Can you tell please me what convinced you that it's a Teebird? I ask because I took it to a local pro shop yesterday to try and ID it, and everyone kept telling me it's a Banshee. Having compared it to a Banshee in the store, I have to admit that it looks very, very close. But I thought that it looked equally similar to a Teebird or TL, both of which are less overstable than a Banshee. I mentioned this to the guys at the pro shop, but they all still said they thought it was a Banshee. None of them could really point out what distinction made them conclude that it's a Banshee as opposed to a Teebird or TL. Just eye-balling the Banshee and Teebird next to each other, I can't tell the difference in the shape. But I guess I must be missing something. Can you point out the distinction(s)?

Also, none of the champ Banshees or Teebirds they had were anywhere near as gummy as my disc. But I neglected to take note of any weight discrepancy. :doh: Do you really think that it could make that much difference in the gumminess? Because I've used some very gummy Rhynos that were on the heavier side. Not as gummy as this mystery disc, but pretty darned gummy. I dunno. What can you tell me?

Thanks again for your help! :thmbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts