• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal discs and Illegal things

2. I understand that Japan is an island, Chuck. I also understand that it not in Wisconsin. I hear its actually somewhere past Minnesota.
Please keep the Chuck's posts differentiated. My counterpart spells his ChUcK.

Isn't it pretty obvious since I had the entire post I was referencing in quotes?

And then I used Chuck K. when I referenced chuck kennedy?

It was your Minnesota reference and using "Chuck" in the post that I quoted that made me think there might be confusion. No problem. I think ChUcK is from the Northwest US.

Chuck Kennedy said:
It was your Minnesota reference and using "Chuck" in the post that I quoted that made me think there might be confusion. No problem. I think ChUcK is from the Northwest US.

I was just being snotty, as chUck said, "That small island is not like Wisconsin, Roy." So I reversed it. You know... one of those things that sounds witty verbally but looks stupid when written.

The real question is, Who will let me throw a 150 class disc at them and then throw a max weight disc of the same mold at them? Concrete Data, this is what we are looking for.

Anybody?

wdb4th said:
The real question is, Who will let me throw a 150 class disc at them and then throw a max weight disc of the same mold at them? Concrete Data, this is what we are looking for.

Anybody?

There never seems to be a shortage of Mexican kids at Twila Reed in Anaheim. :twisted:

Danforth said:
wdb4th said:

Anybody?

There never seems to be a shortage of Mexican kids at Twila Reed in Anaheim. :twisted:

ok...

Playing ultimate i have been hit in the throat with many throws. Only one person has ever hit me twice. And the 175 g ultrastar hurt a hell of a lot more than the 165 g sky styler (or whatever it was)

I couldn't imagine being picked off with a max weight katana or boss, those things haul.

So...backing away from the Japan Open and 150 class debate...

sweeper said:
Let me give an example. I have a 188 Z comet that I was labeled as a 180. If I didn't get a scale to weigh it, I would never know. I could have been throwing an illegal disc in tourneys and never had a clue.

Am I just out my $12 because I believed (insert disc company here) could weigh their discs?

Is there an answer to this beyond strict reading of the rules card? In my situation, I have never weighed any of my discs. I don't have a scale to weigh them and I don't really care to go buy one. I buy most of my mids and FH drivers in max weight. If the companies are just a little off then I could have illegal discs. For the most part, I haven't worried about it, but recently I lost my organic Voodoo. The only other Voodoos I have to replace it are glows, which people on here have decided are typically a few grams overweight. Am I supposed to be responsible for re-weighing a disc after the manufacturer marked it?

Don't manufacturers weigh their discs in stacks of 10-20 and just mass mark all of them? This seems unavoidable if that's the case...

Unity said:

sweeper said:
Let me give an example. I have a 188 Z comet that I was labeled as a 180. If I didn't get a scale to weigh it, I would never know. I could have been throwing an illegal disc in tourneys and never had a clue.

Am I just out my $12 because I believed (insert disc company here) could weigh their discs?

Is there an answer to this beyond strict reading of the rules card? In my situation, I have never weighed any of my discs. I don't have a scale to weigh them and I don't really care to go buy one. I buy most of my mids and FH drivers in max weight. If the companies are just a little off then I could have illegal discs. For the most part, I haven't worried about it, but recently I lost my organic Voodoo. The only other Voodoos I have to replace it are glows, which people on here have decided are typically a few grams overweight. Am I supposed to be responsible for re-weighing a disc after the manufacturer marked it?

Don't manufacturers weigh their discs in stacks of 10-20 and just mass mark all of them? This seems unavoidable if that's the case...

There was a giant thread about this over on DGCR and I believe someone contacted the Innova warehouse and they said they weigh each disc individually. So if that is true then what you have to consider when weighing a disc is scale accuracy and moisture absorption (which I have no idea how much a normal disc absorbs after weighing).

Unity said:

sweeper said:

Standard practice, 10 discs of 150g each should weigh 1500g. If wouldn't be cost effective or productive to weigh each disc individually.
A lot of mass production companies do that with their items. The company I used to work for back in 2005 made clips for phone jacks and you'd grab a handful throw it on the scale, and when it got to the weight of 100 you bagged and tagged.

cjskier said:
well, me and EVERYONE I play with does, so...

Clearly you cant trust what the discs say on them, especially Discraft's. Why would you not want to know that it REALLY weighs?
well some people live in areas where nearly everyone over the age of 16 (especially the DG type) has a digital scale for some reason...in cali im sure the percentage of folks weighing their discs is higher than most, im sure your average DGer in Georgia for instance doesnt happen to have the gear around to weigh up his plastic...maybe for weighing gunpowder or sumthin though? :wink:

Jesse B 707 said:
...your average DGer in Georgia for instance doesnt happen to have the gear around to weigh up his plastic...maybe for weighing gunpowder or sumthin though? :wink:

Yeah, those gunpowder scales only weigh up to 1.5 oz. and they're calibrated in grains (7,000 grs=1lb). You CAN use 'em to weigh dank though.... :roll:

Yehosha said:
(4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm in outside disc diameter;
(5) not exceed a maximum weight of 200 g;
(6) be essentially as produced, without any post-production modifications which affect the weight or flight characteristics;

6 is imo a totaly rubbish rule and should be reworded. I know so many people who sandpaper their discs. I do so constantly when i get bad hits into trees or skips on tar. I know people who buy bosses and go to work on the rim before even throwing it once, so that they are not that crazy stable any more.

Anyway, yes, this is a producer problem, not a player problem. I hope they dont put effort into enforcing this rule, the time would be better spent re-writing the ruleset.

Latest posts