• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm new and I brought you a gift!

Hey all. I just started playing a couple months ago and am hooked.

Anyways, I've been looking at discs at my local shops and I've discovered it can be frustrating when nobody helps describe discs are just don't know what they are doing at all, so I made a flight path list to help myself and any fellow newbies that may be in the same situation out.

It only has Innova discs because that's pretty much all that is sold around here and the flight paths were all in their site, but I may try to make one with others later.

BTW, if this has been done already, then sorry, I just couldn't find anything like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21572783@N02/4910686135/

First, welcome!

And second, I only throw Discraft .. well .. I had a lightning mid at one point .. and a Ching Velocity. I do have a Gateway Magic, and I guess my Orc is Innova ... nevermind *kicks dirt*

there's an uber-flight-characteristics list somewhere, with all the manufactures and models in it. i wanna say it's called "Joe's Flight Chart" or something like that

I am going to make a graph with 300 squiggly lines on it and call it a master flight graph. Whattya think?

One thing that I had problems with when I first started was I bought a disc based on innova's flight chart. Well come to find out it flew nothing like what was listed. The disc is only going to fly like what is listed under perfect conditions and if you have the form to get it up to speed.

I've never found any flight chart to be that useful beyond telling me the speed and stability characteristics relative its position amongst other types of discs. I.E. : "A Leopard is a moderately understable fairway driver, therefore its slower than a Beast, and less stable than a Firebird." Duh.

When you get down to comparing a disc to others in its local area of the chart, I've certainly found things I would disagree with. The only way that you're really going to know is go out and throw them.

Welcome!
While you may have slightly re-invented the wheel, you can never have too many reference options out there.

I will agree with folks that flight paths are really going to be based on your personal skill level, amount of wind, disc wear, etc...so it will be different for many.

Joe's Flight Chart is pretty useful in seeing where a disc fits within the overall spectrum, and gives you an idea of what each disc may do for you based on what you use as your personal "reference disc".

I went off Innova's descriptions when I first bought discs and I bought 4 that I still play heavily with.

Beast, Teebird, Roc & Aviar

I like Joe's Chart, personally. But one thing to remember is that those numbers are created based on limited testing of various plastics. THere are variations....so if you are really tryiing to pin point a disc, it may be off a little, but it's still close. And "Joe" actually throws the discs, along with some other "Joes" so the number aren't just a guess, it's how they flew for them.