• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsiderate league players

I can't believe I read ALL of this. But it's a slow day so whatever...killed some time. All I want to say is this::

I am a casual League player...I'm good, I take it seriously, I always want that birdie. I also like to chill and have fun, because to me, disc golf is #1 about FUN. I usually play with a buddy or 2 and usually have a drink or smoke. But we are respectful to the course as well as the others around us.
And i can say this. Unless we are on a tight schedule, or the group is huge/super slow. We always let/if not encourage people to play through. Many times we will shoot the same hole and cheer each other on. I've made a few friends this way and still play with them. It's a sport where ALL are welcome (except DBags) I actually LIKE, being able to wait and let a group play through. This gives me time to catch my breath, think about the shot, calm down, dry the sweat from my face and hands, have a lil smoke break, drink a beer, drink a gatorade, WHATEVER. So for me....I'm all about taking a break and letting a group play through. But that's me.

I can't believe I read ALL of this. But it's a slow day so whatever...killed some time. All I want to say is this::

I am a casual League player...I'm good, I take it seriously, I always want that birdie. I also like to chill and have fun, because to me, disc golf is #1 about FUN. I usually play with a buddy or 2 and usually have a drink or smoke. But we are respectful to the course as well as the others around us.
And i can say this. Unless we are on a tight schedule, or the group is huge/super slow. We always let/if not encourage people to play through. Many times we will shoot the same hole and cheer each other on. I've made a few friends this way and still play with them. It's a sport where ALL are welcome (except DBags) I actually LIKE, being able to wait and let a group play through. This gives me time to catch my breath, think about the shot, calm down, dry the sweat from my face and hands, have a lil smoke break, drink a beer, drink a gatorade, WHATEVER. So for me....I'm all about taking a break and letting a group play through. But that's me.
I like the cut of your jib.

I might just fly to Korea to play a round with you. :clap::thmbup::clap::thmbup:

This will be my last attempt to provide any sort of clarification to the issue as I believe it has gotten much bigger than it should have. Hopefully this will just blow over and not be a big deal going forward.

I am a huge proponent of letting people play through when there is any sort of wait. However, I also try to incorporate the most common sense decision when either playing through or letting others do the same. Here is my argument aiming at common sense.

Here are two maps -- one is the regular Iwen layout and one is the state Iwen layout, labeled accordingly. Things get a little messy here, but bear with me.

We were playing the state layout. We were teed off on hole #2, which is hole #3 on the regular Iwen layout. After we had teed off, the said altercation occurred as the group of 4 walked up to the teepad, words were said, nothing happened, then we went on our way. After hole #2 on the state layout map, there is a large walk to an elevated teepad for hole #3, which is not standard to the course. It takes a bit for this to happen and would have allowed time for the other group to catch up. The other group would not realize this fact, but it just seemed to make sense in my mind with 6 discs laying on the fairway.

Looking at the maps, you will notice that #4 on the regular Iwen layout is a short hole through the woods with a short walk from basket #3. This allows regular holes #3 and #4 to be played quite quickly. It also does not interfere with the state layout that we were playing. If the group of 4 played those two holes right after were were done with ours (or even started when we were on the green on regular hole #3), everything would have played out for both groups with a 1 minute wait for our doubles group on the elevated, non-standard teepad.

As stated before, I didn't really think too much about the situation because I didn't think it was a big deal. That being said, my mind is always thinking of a common sense solution, which I tried my best to relay here. The other group would not know what I was thinking because they did not know the state Iwen layout. Maybe if we said, "you can pass us on the next hole because we aren't playing it," things would have been more easily understandable.

I think there are a few things to learn here --
1. Bringing up this problem on a public forum is only productive to the disc golf community if the people involved see it. Luckily I have friends that scour these forums and three of them let me know about the situation. Bringing it up either in person or through personal contact is a better solution.

2. I should realize that when we are playing a non-standard layout, others are not in on the big picture and I should verbalize what is happening to that group if something like this comes up.

You all keep on doing what you will when it comes to playing through situations. I call for a common sense and courteous mentality, which is determined differently at each distinct situation. There isn't one "blanket rule" that can solve every situation. Cheers.

Attachments

• Iwen Regular Layout.jpg
    Iwen Regular Layout.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Iwen State Layout.jpg
    Iwen State Layout.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 22
The other group would not know what I was thinking because they did not know the state Iwen layout.
(I was in the same group as the OP)

You did show me the map when we spoke briefly before everybody teed off. So I was pretty aware of what you guys were doing. And, yes, we certainly could have skipped ahead via the normal hole 4 while you guys were playing the state tourney version. I didn't really think about it at the time though.

Either way. Big misunderstanding. No ill will.

Many thanks for the great course. Saw the new teeboxes up at trollwood too. Did you guys end up re-designing any of the holes?

Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE! *people people, we need to figure out what to DO here, standing around saying "Rabble Rabble" isn't going to SOLVE anything* "But we don't know what else to do Mayor!...Rabble, Rabble rabble!"

Glad we are cool on this action.

Trollwood was redesigned to get a couple holes out of the mud and a couple of other holes got changed for safety issues. Some changes were for the better, but some were for the worse, difficulty wise -- mainly for safety reasons. Flow should be a bit better, though.

This post is off topic, so........... everybody be considerate and stuff.

Glad we are cool on this action.

Trollwood was redesigned to get a couple holes out of the mud and a couple of other holes got changed for safety issues. Some changes were for the better, but some were for the worse, difficulty wise -- mainly for safety reasons. Flow should be a bit better, though.
Updated map in the works?

It most certainly is. Even you, the accuser, are backpedaling on his characterization of the party you're accusing.

Sounds more to me like you guys had a misunderstanding that you could have made right amongst yourselves instead of boring everyone else here with it. Its not all that unique of a situation.

I can't read anymore of this dribble after the guy came on to say sorry for the misunderstanding... can't believe I'm actually going to agree with scarpfish on this one.

It most certainly is. Even you, the accuser, are backpedaling on his characterization of the party you're accusing.

Sounds more to me like you guys had a misunderstanding that you could have made right amongst yourselves instead of boring everyone else here with it. Its not all that unique of a situation.

I am not backpedaling, I was commending him for apologizing. Everyone there knows what the situation was, and they were clearly being rude. He is saying the group of 10 bit was a misunderstanding, and that's fine. I don't believe that was the case personally but I will agree to disagree. We know what we heard, the message was clear.

So it's not unique when the guy who designed a course is engaging in activity that seemingly is discouraging people from playing the course he helped design and have set up? Yeah, happens all the time.

This is the crux of the BS in the situation that made me want to make a thread.

Looking at the course, it appears that Joey was the one that designed it as well as made the baskets for it, likely donating them to the park rather than selling them, and you can bet he had something to do with any teesigns that are installed and probably put the baskets in himself. Sounds like maybe OP should be thanking him in person for putting in another solid course in the FM area rather than posting a misunderstanding on a public forum. Hopefully he takes Joey up on the offer for his favorite cold beverage and does just that.

I already stated in an earlier post that no one can deny he deserves respect and thanks.

And the entire point of posting it here was so that it Wouldn't become personal.

I get the feeling people think I'm looking for these people to burn in the fires of hell. Lol I'm not. I'm sure they understand where we are coming from.

(I was in the same group as the OP)

You did show me the map when we spoke briefly before everybody teed off. So I was pretty aware of what you guys were doing. And, yes, we certainly could have skipped ahead via the normal hole 4 while you guys were playing the state tourney version. I didn't really think about it at the time though.

Either way. Big misunderstanding. No ill will.

Many thanks for the great course. Saw the new teeboxes up at trollwood too. Did you guys end up re-designing any of the holes?

subtle yet important addition to the narrative...

4th ^this emotion. Especially the bolded parts.

My over-complicated plan to get Joey to reveal the Iwen state layout has come to fruition!
Bwahahaha!

Latest posts