• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

I have a G* krait and I only like the G* for what they said was one of the intentions, cold/wintery rounds cause I like to play year round. However Dave lied when he said that G* doesn't get Floppy in heat, My krait hasn't beat in all that much, but it is definitely floppy and I'm sick of them releasing everything in G*. My favorite plastic is the JL, followed by star, then pro/xt.

floppy like the vibram soft putters?

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to get long term impressions and hot/cold weather updates.

My impressions-

I have a couple of G* Teebirds in the bag and I have thrown a variety of molds though out the summer and into the fall. I found the grip to be consistent even with some moisture and the plastic seems to be wearing slower than Pro but not as durable as Star, close though. In the Minnesota cold (I've had a couple rounds at 5-15 Fahrenheit) it does get stiffer. Not Pinnacle plastic crazy stiff or even Star stiff, overall I'd say it is slightly less affected by the bitter cold than Pro plastic.

A few molds that I've thrown have been from different batches (I think). The later runs being less stable. This isn't good.

I have a G* krait and I only like the G* for what they said was one of the intentions, cold/wintery rounds cause I like to play year round. However Dave lied when he said that G* doesn't get Floppy in heat, My krait hasn't beat in all that much, but it is definitely floppy and I'm sick of them releasing everything in G*. My favorite plastic is the JL, followed by star, then pro/xt.

See, I hate, hate JL in drivers. Its hard, has pitiful grip especially when its humid and just feels down right bad.

JL is pretty money in mids because the rim isnt so wide and doesnt make the disc stiff.

G* is not floppy when compared to gummy or extra gummy runs of Champion but its not firm either.

G-Star Teebirds are *money but I noticed I like them in max weight, when normally I throw champ tee birds in the 165-169s gram range. I like star (specifically echo star) in the low 170's. **Brinsters are awesome too.

I tried lighter 160g's g-star tee birds but they were so unforgiving with bad form. The max weight g-star t'birds solved that problem quickly for me. I thought I'd never throw max weight with t'birds but I love the g'star t'birds in max weight.

*the G-star tee birds are straight and have great glide. and per G-star attributes seem to skew towards the center so the g-star tee birds seem less overstable compared to their exact matches in champion or star.

**brinster birds are a totally different beast. they're basically stiff firebird hybrids and we don't really have a choice since they are most likely near max weight anyway.

in regards to cold weather I've been throwing my first run factory store max weight g-star teebird a lot in lower 30' in slight snow and the grip and flight is very consistent. they're stiffer in the cold but still feel the same coming out of the hand from the summer.

In the cold, I'm really liking my G* Mako3 and the Roc3, but the G* Aviar Driver had to go back in storage until spring, just couldn't get a consistent grip with it.

Have Thunderbird too, and while the grip is good, so far I'm not all that impressed with the disc. It's said to be a longer Teebird, but mine is a longer Brinster Teebird! Could be the cold and my inability to get a good toss out of it wearing a ton of clothe. I throw it on every hole as a second shot to try and beat it in though, it does seem to be straightening out a little.

In the cold, I'm really liking my G* Mako3 and the Roc3, but the G* Aviar Driver had to go back in storage until spring, just couldn't get a consistent grip with it.

Have Thunderbird too, and while the grip is good, so far I'm not all that impressed with the disc. It's said to be a longer Teebird, but mine is a longer Brinster Teebird! Could be the cold and my inability to get a good toss out of it wearing a ton of clothe. I throw it on every hole as a second shot to try and beat it in though, it does seem to be straightening out a little.

How does your G* Mako3 compare to either champ or star with regards to flight path? More or less turn? More or less fade?

I despised g star first time I picked one up. 100 degree day and a g star tern. It was super floppy. Now I love it. I had a g star teebird that was sweet. G star in mids are awesome. The plastic sits well and is very grippy. I wonder if my favorite roc3, which is in g star, will get floppy in the summer. I think it'll do it a bit it but not nearly like that tern I threw mid summer.

I can't say it's my favorite plastic, but that's only because I don't really have one, I choose plastics based on the job I want the disc to do. Stable headwind driver usually go champ, skips and slides champ, if I want a disc to season for d I usually go with star, if I want the disc to stick I go with g star. I wish I had pro plastic but only have a destroyer, to hard to find and to expensive. Prolly pickup a mcpro roc3 someday.

The G* Mako3 is a tick less stable than the champion version for me. I can throw a nice soft annie and it rides it to the ground, my champ fights back a little. The G* star handles powered down shots better too. I'll probably be trading off the Champion Mako3.

I don't own a Star version, so I can't comment on it.

After several weeks of throwing the Thunderbird, I would say to you do not give up on it. It seemed overstable the first week, but within three weeks it is incredibly stable to even slight understable. It has broken into a normal TeeBird flight with a slight healthier fade at the very end.

Now due to the Minnesota weather and the snow on the ground, I have not thrown my Champions much, so I do not know how much of a factor my slight change in form due to heavier boots and less than secure footing has on my throws, but I can get my GStars to slightly turn.

It has perfectly filled out my winter GStar line-up (Roc3, Leopard, Gazelle, Thunderbird, Valkyrie) and may give my normal almost all Trilogy non-winter bag a run for its money. I could see it kicking out my Stag, and the Champion, if that has more stability on both ends, could kick out the Boatman. My absolute favorite disc is a Pre-Flight Number mid-weight Star TeeBird. I cannot risk my best one, I have another that is almost seasoned in, and I have a third and fourth that I just acquired with the intention of fitting those into that spot once they are seasoned. As it stands now, a seasoned GStar Thunderbird slightly powered down may be the exact shot I am looking for out of that spot.

^^^
Good to hear your experience with the Thunderbird. I'll keep at it

For me it's always been about the TL3, best Gstar disc. Recently been trying a TB3, and I like that a lot too. Also the U.S. Sidewinder, Mamba, Katana, killer in Gstar.

I love this disc, great distance for sidearm. Great for big hyzer shots. Also a great skipping finish if you can get it low thru the trees!

Love the TL3, Teebird and Roc3 in G-star. But all of them are in storage right now waiting for the colder weather. I just can't get a clean grip when it's hot out. They stick to my fingers a bit too much so most of my BH shot's get yanked a bit too much right and my FH sticks too much and goes left.

Absolutely hated the Thunderbird, Aviar and PD in G*.

I'm still a fan of the G* Star Teebird. Fresh they are like a nicely seasoned Star and after use they get some turn and bomb like DX 'birds.

TL3 is a great disc. Not as much glide as a TL but faster. It's different. I like both, but might still like a regular TL more.

At first I thought the TL3 was better for forehand but now I have to revisit the regular TL for fh. I seem to like more glide for fh.

Dunno how I've managed, but my Gstar Roc3 is awfully warped, like, from 7 different places on the rim and few on top. Teebird and thunderbird are doing just fine. Lot of tree hits with all of them.
Anyone else found some Gstar discs behave like this?

that's weird, like opposite of dx. usually dx mids/putters last forever, and drivers die fast

that's weird, like opposite of dx. usually dx mids/putters last forever, and drivers die fast

Yeah and dx you can always bend back to original shape if it warps but with Gstar it seems impossible. Sad because it was covering my OS Roc slot in the bag. Now with a full rip it just turns slightly and doesn't even fade.
Well, time to start thowing those 2xchamps I've been saving.

Love the TL3, Teebird and Roc3 in G-star. But all of them are in storage right now waiting for the colder weather. I just can't get a clean grip when it's hot out. They stick to my fingers a bit too much so most of my BH shot's get yanked a bit too much right and my FH sticks too much and goes left.

Absolutely hated the Thunderbird, Aviar and PD in G*.

This. In 95 degree Georgia heat, GStar's became soft, floppy and very unpleasant to throw. In winter they will be fine, I"m sure.

I also couldn't get the GStar Thunderbird to work for me. Then I tried a Champion Thunderbird and it was awesome for me. The GStar Avair is actually not a bad disc, but again is way too floppy in warm weather.

This. In 95 degree Georgia heat, GStar's became soft, floppy and very unpleasant to throw.
Wow, I don't agree with this at all. I guess I just like softer plastic. I actually hate Champion in the heat because I have so much trouble staying dry.

Latest posts