• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Have you tried a G* Shryke, especially one under 170g? Those things defy gravity, and are the longest Shrykes I've seen.

My Pro Shryke was very much a "middle of the pack" type performer. It was only OK for me.

Oh that sounds sick. I'm super intrigued, will prolly pick one up this weekend when I grab a couple Envys.

Oh that sounds sick. I'm super intrigued, will prolly pick one up this weekend when I grab a couple Envys.

I've thrown at least a half dozen G* Shrykes. All performed better than the Pro I threw the other day.

If you get a G*, look for one with a good dome. The flat ones don't fly as well.

Just don't go super light. I've thrown a couple G*s under 160 and they were way too flippy.

I picked up a couple lower 160s GStar Shrykes and they do get up and go for sure. Thinking of trying the lowest weight they have in GStar just to see what happens. Monster dome, not overstable.

I've thrown at least a half dozen G* Shrykes. All performed better than the Pro I threw the other day.

If you get a G*, look for one with a good dome. The flat ones don't fly as well.

Just don't go super light. I've thrown a couple G*s under 160 and they were way too flippy.

Roger that. It also helps to know you are throwing at high altitude. Do you play Dragon tags at West Fork on Wednesdays?

Roger that. It also helps to know you are throwing at high altitude. Do you play Dragon tags at West Fork on Wednesdays?

No, I just play by myself when I have time. I've been avoiding West Fork a little lately because it's so overgrown. I play more during the winter.

I picked up a couple of Halo Shrykes today.

I'm full-on Team Shryke these days. I was Team Destiny, but they are too hard to find now. Sorry Westside. I've also been Team Tern, but I'm more of a speed-dial sub for Team Tern now.

Definitely a leggy disc. Definitely a release-angle disc.

I have 8 that train with and usually 1 that I bag.

2x 173-5 G*
1x 172 G* (the one I usually bag)
1x 175 Pro
1x 159 Star
1x 168 Star
2x 173-5 Halo

Recently lost a factory 2d G* @172 that was pretty flippy. It was about as flippy as the 159g Star.

See, that's the thing...

Anyways. Low-wind and tailwind I have a lot of confidence, I can navigate a fairway. Headwind can be tricky with hazards on the flippy side of the fairway.

But damn it goes really far--for me that is ~450 on a crush.

These Halos seem a slight bit more stable than the G*, but I'm getting more distance with the G*.

So...are Shrykes a thing, or just for high altitude, or just for noodle arms like me, or what? Seems like a legit disc. I get similar shape and distance from Destroyers that are on the flippy side of Destroyers-ville.

This is a great disc, right?

Don't know about the elevation thing, but I've become a huge believer in the Shrykes. I've only used the Champs bc the others are too flippy, haven't tried a halo, but they are definitely bombers. I actually switched over bc Discraft quit making the Crank in ZFLX. Have not regretted the choice.

Let me know if you ever head up to the NOCO area (Windsor, Greeley, FOCO, Fort Morgan). We can have Shryke contest!

Don't know about the elevation thing, but I've become a huge believer in the Shrykes. I've only used the Champs bc the others are too flippy, haven't tried a halo, but they are definitely bombers. I actually switched over bc Discraft quit making the Crank in ZFLX. Have not regretted the choice.

Let me know if you ever head up to the NOCO area (Windsor, Greeley, FOCO, Fort Morgan). We can have Shryke contest!

Heckin A brother! I've been wanting to play Opto/Pess.

Tell y'all one thing--these Halos are a different beast. A touch beefier than regular star somehow. Maybe a tad less distance than the new G* that nearly always flex, but way more reliable. Got to thinking that it would be a possible FH bomber, and had some promising first throws in the field this AM.

I'm an idiot, but I think all my Halo drivers are Destroyers.

My GG Halo Wraith is an overstable Destroyer
My Halo Destroyer is itself (beef)
My Halo Tern is a beat-in star Destroyer
These Halo Shrykes are beat-in Echo* Destroyers

I tell myself this because I want to bag them all, and this hack helps me feel better about not using too many different discs.

lalala I don't want to hear the truth!!

McBeth was FH-ing a Shryke when they came out back at the Aussie Open years ago. I've been bagging a Halo Shryke for light headwinds (10 mph or so) and really liking the distance and reliability, shallowish to medium dome. Pretty consistent disc as far as molding as well. I've had 10 or so over the years.

I picked up a 149g G* today for grins. Report to follow.

I've thrown a couple G* Shrykes in the 150-160g range. VERY flippy. They glide well, but are almost impossible to keep from dive bombing into the ground.

If you throw more than 350' you'll probably find that Shryke unmanageable.

I've had the best luck with 168g+ G* Shrykes. They'll still turn a lot, but generally refrain from flipping entirely.

I've thrown a couple G* Shrykes in the 150-160g range. VERY flippy. They glide well, but are almost impossible to keep from dive bombing into the ground.

If you throw more than 350' you'll probably find that Shryke unmanageable.

I've had the best luck with 168g+ G* Shrykes. They'll still turn a lot, but generally refrain from flipping entirely.

Super, super flippy. Had several unintended rollers, one of them with the perfect cut angle went 475' in the soccer field grass. Best crazy-flex lines went around 450' in air, but not something you'd bank on for gameday (but for me that is a badass, impressive throw).

I also have a 135g champ Destroyer I've been fussing with a bit. Similar, but more stable.

No joke, both of these discs are fun as heck to launch. In the same way you might throw a weird paper airplane...it's just fun to watch.

My initial impression is that this 149g Shryke is an excellent fieldwork disc because it forces you to make initial condition (angle) adjustments. I think about Simon, how he launches some discs with so much hyzer and then they flatten out, maybe even turn a little. It's interesting to mess with that stuff.

Just came to say I threw a 168g Star Shryke 390ft yesterday. It was a pretty low flip to flat line with some fade at the end. My previous max was 375ft with a Star Wraith. I'm excited to continue working with this mold. I'm confident I can break 400ft with more practice and warmer weather, and that's a game changer for me!

I plan to pickup a Halo, another Star and possibly a Champ to mess around with. I'm loving the way this disc compliments the Destroyer/Emperor, it really has opened up some new possibilities for me on longer holes.

Just came to say I threw a 168g Star Shryke 390ft yesterday. It was a pretty low flip to flat line with some fade at the end. My previous max was 375ft with a Star Wraith. I'm excited to continue working with this mold. I'm confident I can break 400ft with more practice and warmer weather, and that's a game changer for me!

I plan to pickup a Halo, another Star and possibly a Champ to mess around with. I'm loving the way this disc compliments the Destroyer/Emperor, it really has opened up some new possibilities for me on longer holes.

Halo and champion Shrykes are noticeably beefier than star or G*. They don't glide as well, and don't go nearly as far, either.

If you really want to see how far you can throw something, try to find a 170ish G* Corvette. IMO they do the same things as Shrykes, but better. G* Shryke is also worth a look. Little on the flippy side, but they bomb.

If you do indeed get a halo and champion Shryke, be prepared to lose quite a bit of distance.

Halo and champion Shrykes are noticeably beefier than star or G*. They don't glide as well, and don't go nearly as far, either.

If you really want to see how far you can throw something, try to find a 170ish G* Corvette. IMO they do the same things as Shrykes, but better. G* Shryke is also worth a look. Little on the flippy side, but they bomb.

If you do indeed get a halo and champion Shryke, be prepared to lose quite a bit of distance.

I mainly want the Halo for forehands, and to fill in the gap between Star Destroyers and the Star Shryke. I may try a heavier Star as well and skip the Champion all together.

I mainly want the Halo for forehands, and to fill in the gap between Star Destroyers and the Star Shryke. I may try a heavier Star as well and skip the Champion all together.

I've never been remarkably impressed with the champ Shryke. It just doesn't fly that well. It loses a lot of glide, and seems beefy.

I've thrown 2 halo Shrykes, and they reminded me of a Boss. They'd turn if I really hammered on them, but not otherwise.

As someone who bagged Shrykes for a while I am going to say that the two champion ones that I have weren't really all that much different from the stars as far as flight. Mine definitely weren't noticeably shorter or any more or less stable than the stars.

Now, I do have a champ color glow that is definitely shorter, beefier, and dumpier.

I have a 2021 USDGC Bar Stamped Teal Halo Shryke. The few times I did throw it, it was very glidey, but also somewhat overstable. Went straight for a very long time and had a long drawn out fade.

Latest posts