• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

My Halo Shrykes are $$ FH bombers. My 172g G* is a $$ BH bomber. Too flippy for any HW or lower altitude though.

Agree about trying a ~170g Corvette. Slightly straighter line, but killer distance. I sometimes alternate between these two for no-wind max distance FH and BH.

Oh, the Halo Shryke is also $$ in a HW. We had gusts up to 40 one day and I wanted to do some science...the Halo Shryke, Destroyer, and GG Wraith were all reliable. It was like watching a beach ball on a geyser go up and down, but it didn't turn and went as far as I could throw a disc in those conditions.

My Halo Shrykes are $$ FH bombers. My 172g G* is a $$ BH bomber. Too flippy for any HW or lower altitude though.

Agree about trying a ~170g Corvette. Slightly straighter line, but killer distance. I sometimes alternate between these two for no-wind max distance FH and BH.

Oh, the Halo Shryke is also $$ in a HW. We had gusts up to 40 one day and I wanted to do some science...the Halo Shryke, Destroyer, and GG Wraith were all reliable. It was like watching a beach ball on a geyser go up and down, but it didn't turn and went as far as I could throw a disc in those conditions.

I just haven't really loved the halo Shryke so far. I've thrown a couple, and both were beefy, glideless, and short. It wasn't that they flew horribly, but they didn't have that majestic, gliding turn that most Shrykes do.

Halo Shryke reminds me more of a Boss.

Was your Halo Shryke domey? Joel Freeman has a great video on dome, and how it affects flight and glide. I generally agree with it. In this instance, my Halo Shryke had a lot of HSS, but it definitely stayed a loft for a long time, and its fade was subtle and drawn out, covering lots of ground.

Was your Halo Shryke domey? Joel Freeman has a great video on dome, and how it affects flight and glide. I generally agree with it. In this instance, my Halo Shryke had a lot of HSS, but it definitely stayed a loft for a long time, and its fade was subtle and drawn out, covering lots of ground.

I'd say average dome. Definitely not flat, but not super domey either.

Frankly, I liked the halo Tern a lot more than the halo Shryke. Kinda surprised me, because usually I prefer Shrykes.

The halo Tern I tried was absolutely perfect.

Frankly, I liked the halo Tern a lot more than the halo Shryke. Kinda surprised me, because usually I prefer Shrykes.

My first ace was with a Halo Tern :)

Shryke

Quick little Shryke bit....

The last Shryke I threw was a brand new star, 172g. IDK if Innova changed the mold of the Shryke at all recently, but this one felt and looked different to me.

Little flatter than usual, with a very low PLH. Examining the disc beforehand, I could tell it was going to be flippy..... and it was. Something like 13, 5, -4, 2. Great distance potential, but way too flippy and wild. I kept turning and burning it.

Usually Shrykes have a little more beef. This one was excessively flippy.

The last Shryke I threw was a brand new star, 172g. IDK if Innova changed the mold of the Shryke at all recently, but this one felt and looked different to me.

Little flatter than usual, with a very low PLH. Examining the disc beforehand, I could tell it was going to be flippy..... and it was. Something like 13, 5, -4, 2. Great distance potential, but way too flippy and wild. I kept turning and burning it.

I have bought 2 new Shrykes in the last couple months. The first was a star. It is pretty flat and stiff with an average PLH. It is a perfect shryke in my opinion. I can max it out around 425, and although it turns quite a bit it comes back too and finishes straight.

The second was a color glow, the second I saw it I knew that it was going to be understable. Really low PLH. On a full rip flat release it almost becomes a roller. I hope that this one is the exception to the rule because if this is the future of the Shryke I would be done with it. I am guessing that these really flippy ones are outliers. I also have a really overstable shryle that does not turn. Innova isn't really known for consistency in their high speed discs.

As for Halo Shrykes, I have only thrown 2, but both are pretty overstable and fly more like a star boss. I am actually really excited to get one of them broken in and see what I can do with it.

Count me as a +1 on the Halo Tern. I throw a LOT of shrykes, as in, most high speed driver slots in my bag are shrykes. I throw a Halo Star Shryke for laser beam forehands, but my Halo Shrykes all seem "touchier" than my Halo Tern. On flights that seemingly look the same...the Shryke will sometimes fight back hard to the left (RHBH) and sometimes just keep going forever. My Halo Tern will always have some high speed turn, but it fights back to the left with a consistent fade.

I'm sure ultimately it's how I'm throwing the Shryke that's making it do different things...but it just seems a lot more touchy to those inconsistencies than the Tern. Ultimately, it feels like the increased overstability of the Halo Star plastic has really just made the Halo Tern into what a Shryke should be.

I have bought 2 new Shrykes in the last couple months. The first was a star. It is pretty flat and stiff with an average PLH. It is a perfect shryke in my opinion. I can max it out around 425, and although it turns quite a bit it comes back too and finishes straight.

The second was a color glow, the second I saw it I knew that it was going to be understable. Really low PLH. On a full rip flat release it almost becomes a roller. I hope that this one is the exception to the rule because if this is the future of the Shryke I would be done with it. I am guessing that these really flippy ones are outliers. I also have a really overstable shryle that does not turn. Innova isn't really known for consistency in their high speed discs.

As for Halo Shrykes, I have only thrown 2, but both are pretty overstable and fly more like a star boss. I am actually really excited to get one of them broken in and see what I can do with it.

I buy a LOT of shrykes, even recent ones. We throw pretty much the same distance, I'd say it's an outlier. I'd also check the weight though. I know lots of people will say 5g doesn't matter...and maybe it doesn't, maybe it's something else happening with the lighter ones...but literally a 170g in almost any plastic will turn roller or turn all day and never come back for me. 175g and they have that nice S-pattern that I love about shrykes.

I have a couple color glow, they've been...fine. Maybe a notch understable, but I haven't thrown them enough to be definitive. I like the older regular glow runs a lot though...170g glow shryke...has to be one of the longest-flying, prettiest-turning discs I've ever thrown. Hard to find in 170g though for me...lots of max weights available (the exception to my max weight rule of true-flying shrykes).

Count me as a +1 on the Halo Tern. I throw a LOT of shrykes, as in, most high speed driver slots in my bag are shrykes. I throw a Halo Star Shryke for laser beam forehands, but my Halo Shrykes all seem "touchier" than my Halo Tern. On flights that seemingly look the same...the Shryke will sometimes fight back hard to the left (RHBH) and sometimes just keep going forever. My Halo Tern will always have some high speed turn, but it fights back to the left with a consistent fade.

I'm sure ultimately it's how I'm throwing the Shryke that's making it do different things...but it just seems a lot more touchy to those inconsistencies than the Tern. Ultimately, it feels like the increased overstability of the Halo Star plastic has really just made the Halo Tern into what a Shryke should be.

You could be right. I've thrown a lot of Terns, and they're usually too flippy. The halo Tern was great. Perfect combo of turn, glide, and fade to be really long.

The last really good Shryke I threw was a regular stamped black star, 175g.

lol sounds about right

I refuse to even think about throwing a flat Shryke. I haven't bought one in forever since I can't find the domey ones, even in used bins. My distance game hasn't been the same since I lost that domey purple Shryke that went 425'+ with ease and regularity. I keep checking, but only end up with some that are mildly domey, I want pop top domey.

I refuse to even think about throwing a flat Shryke. I haven't bought one in forever since I can't find the domey ones, even in used bins. My distance game hasn't been the same since I lost that domey purple Shryke that went 425'+ with ease and regularity. I keep checking, but only end up with some that are mildly domey, I want pop top domey.

https://gorilladiscgolf.com/ has some inncolor shrykes that may fit the bill. I have no experience with them personally. Good luck!

Take a long look at the Daedalus. They're often domier than Shrykes, and fly similarly. The Daedalus will glide superbly, and absolutely bombs.

You can get them into the low to mid 160s in champion.

IMO the Daedalus will do everything a Shryke will.

Been playing around with a 167 pro shryke. I can only throw around 300 feet but even at that short a distance I'm still able to get some turn and nice glide out of it. Measured a throw the other day 330 and it's gotten me some birdie chances on holes I don't thumb I could reach with my Eagles or Trespass.

TLDR: 167 Pro Shrykes a cheat code for noodle arms

Been playing around with a 167 pro shryke. I can only throw around 300 feet but even at that short a distance I'm still able to get some turn and nice glide out of it. Measured a throw the other day 330 and it's gotten me some birdie chances on holes I don't thumb I could reach with my Eagles or Trespass.

TLDR: 167 Pro Shrykes a cheat code for noodle arms

Try a light G* Shryke and you'll really be flexing it out. They come in the 150s, and are quite flippy.

Try a light G* Shryke and you'll really be flexing it out. They come in the 150s, and are quite flippy.

I concur.

I continue to bag a 149g G* Shryke and throw it routinely on certain holes with certain wind conditions, and also *every* time in the field. It is instructive on shaping max distance lines, and in a headwind is often inadvertently instructive on roller angles... :D

Make sure you check out a G* Roadrunner, too, if you haven't already, that disc bombs.

I saw a 144g G* Shryke on OTB just now, I almost pulled the trigger. I like having a backup.

I concur.

I continue to bag a 149g G* Shryke and throw it routinely on certain holes with certain wind conditions, and also *every* time in the field. It is instructive on shaping max distance lines, and in a headwind is often inadvertently instructive on roller angles... :D

Make sure you check out a G* Roadrunner, too, if you haven't already, that disc bombs.

I saw a 144g G* Shryke on OTB just now, I almost pulled the trigger. I like having a backup.

I was just patting myself on the back for not buying any discs for 2 whole weeks but maybe I'll have to look into that now….

I concur.

I've messed with a couple really light G* Shrykes, but I'd never bag one. Not enough control, and they just flip too easily. I'll get one 475' bomb followed by 10 lousy throws.

Plus, those really light Shrykes are too blizzardy looking. They seem cheap.

I've messed with a couple really light G* Shrykes, but I'd never bag one. Not enough control, and they just flip too easily. I'll get one 475' bomb followed by 10 lousy throws.

Plus, those really light Shrykes are too blizzardy looking. They seem cheap.

I have a worn copy that is too flippy for any job besides roller (and does look cheap and blizzardy), but a newer one at the same weight that is surprisingly stable (and looks nice).