• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Instep Baskets

S.Cann

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have the go-ahead to install a course, but they already have 9 Instep baskets. I have a way to powder coat them to prevent rust and I will eventually have double chains installed, as well. The only problem is that they want the course to be permanently installed. Anyone have any experience permanently installing Instep baskets? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Through-bolt the pipe sections and strip the threading. You'll need to add another 2 foot section of the pipe to the bottom for ground installation.

The chains will rust out in 4 years, so either be prepared to replace chains or begin fund-raising immediately after your course opens to begin replacing baskets with more viable permanent options.

Not sure what else you'll need to powder coat out of the box. They should already be red color.

I've never tried to install one permanently, but I would imagine you'd want to replace the pins with nuts and bolts. You could probably run some metal through the hole for the stand when you bury it to keep it from being pulled out of the ground.

I would definitely suggest you make mods to the bottom of the chainset to use a traditional ring instead of the chain ring.

I don't think the baskets at Maiden Shade are permanently installed in pipes. I believe they still have the portable bases on them and the bases are either buried or may be locked in place in some manner.

I don't think the baskets at Maiden Shade are permanently installed in pipes. I believe they still have the portable bases on them and the bases are either buried or may be locked in place in some manner.

pretty sure that is true. Made a trip down there right before freeze last fall and couldn't tell you for sure but they did seem to be better than the first time we went and I reviewed the course in..2011?

Best baskets in MN? eh, nope.. do they work? Sure... besides my chainout ace on hole 1.

I know that TCC Southeast has instep baskets, I don't recall how they're mounted.
I am fairly certain that the center poles are the same diameter as top rail chain link pole, which is pretty cheap, about $1 a foot at most places. You could make a new single pole out of that, drill holes for the basket and chain assembly, then got bolts to hold them in it. Make the pole longer and you can concrete them in the ground. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a means for a removable pin if you need it. I don't know about powder coating, but the top rail is galvanized, so that's a start.