• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] ion for putting...soft or medium?

olemiss5931

Eagle Member
Im about to order a couple ions and I have to never held one so I don't know which one I need. I like a pretty stiff backboned putter but with a grippy texture. What's all the differences between the two. I looked on the ion thread but their are so many posts. Its hard to find a clear answer. Thanks

For short putts I prefer a medium Ion..stiff, just feels good. I like the soft Ion for flex shots, especially anhyzers, they turn nicely and flatten out for a soft landing.

There is a significant difference between the flex of the soft and medium...my advice, get both, you won' be sorry.

I haven't handled a new tooled medium ion yet so I can't say how grippy they are. But generally the mediums will fly straighter with less spin. Softs require a little more spin to get them to stay aloft but boy do they grip the chains.

UPS, good observation. I've been through several Ions, medium and soft, and they both are "grippy"...can't tell the difference. Haven't been keeping up with MVP's innovations, just got a tye dyed Ion from MS which may be new...no difference in grip IMO.

I like the Soft Ion better (nowhere near as much as I like a SSS Wiz or Firm Ridge, mind you) than the mediums. The mediums felt like cheap, plastic toys to me; kinda slick, too, I just couldn't get into them.
I find the soft flexible and usable.

I bought both, and I prefer the Mediums. The Soft's flightplate is too pliable for me.

I putt with a very firm (firmer than the soft Ion) OG SSS Wizard and also carry a Medium to work on softening it up a little.

my cousin has a soft ion. ive seen him hit dead center chains with it and it bounces out. his jk aviar doesnt spit out like his ion.

I really like the soft Ion that I have. It bounces out less than any other putter that I have trued in my limited time playing.

Chocolate or vanilla? Apples or oranges? Coke or Pepsi? When it comes to choosing between two good things, it's all about preference. I agree with the above poster who recommended trying one of each. I live in FL, and even though it doesn't get real cold here, I still notice quite a different feel season to season. If I lived up north I would probably putt a soft in the winter and a medium in the summer, that way they would feel the same year round.

Personally I prefer medium. I suppose a spin putter could like a soft one better, where as for a push putter a medium one would be a better fit.

It's a matter of taste, try both.

I'm a spin putter. I Putt with a soft, and approach and drive with a medium. I just love that soft tacky feel when i'm putting. I would get one of each, you'll wanna decide for yourself

I putt with mediums. If you hit the pole with a soft it will kick out, the flight plate acts like a spring. Had way too many kick outs to like it.

my cousin has a soft ion. ive seen him hit dead center chains with it and it bounces out. his jk aviar doesnt spit out like his ion.

Agreed, my soft ion spitts out alot. The rim is too firm and bounces out. I stopped using it as a putter.

Works good for driving and upshots. I'm going to switch to only wizards.

Personally I prefer medium. I suppose a spin putter could like a soft one better, where as for a push putter a medium one would be a better fit.

It's a matter of taste, try both.

What he said.

I'm more of a lob putter and the Mediums worked a lot better for me. IMO, the Softs are the best driving/approaching putters EVAR!!!!1!1!! Great for FH too.

I think im just gonna stick with my wizards. Im doing good with em but im always looking for that magical disc. I think its called practice lol.

Latest posts