• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it really worth it?

ncbrett92

Bogey Member
So I'v been playing with a Standard Innova bag sense I got into this sport and I'v been looking at an upgrade. Something that can hold 20 discs or so. But I can't bring myself to drop 150 bucks or more on one of the backpack set ups when I can get the Innova Competition bag for 50 and then just get the backpack strap set up for it or one of the cheeper backpacks for like 40......

Are you just mostly paying for looks and the name with the high end bags or are they really better and if so why?

Is it worth it?

Meh.

You're asking us to quantify something subjective: worth.

Is it worth it to me? No. Is it worth it to someone else? Probably.

Is it worth it to you? :popcorn:

The main factor in my decision to buy a backpack bag was the extra storage for things like beverages and clothing. I bought a Fossa Tana which was $100, and it's working just fine for me. I can fit over 20 discs in it along with extra water, beer and odds and ends like towels and sunglasses. I think that if you're going to buy a bigger bag with around 20 disc capacity, you might as well buy some kind of backpack because it's going come with a similar price tag after straps, and it's going to be way more comfortable.

The Tana is $100, the Tana Pro is $145, and there are fortunately lot of other bags these days around that price point including the infamous Huju bags. The more respected bags at that capacity come in starting around $175 for the Ranger.

You can probably get a tournament style bag with straps for around $100, but it's going to be much less ergonomic and may or may not have the same amount of storage. I personally wouldn't want to spend a few hours hiking around a mountain course where I live wearing one of those, but only you know what you need out of a bag.

Not to me. But at a trustworthy's friend's advice, I recently test-drove one, in my case a ranger. Here are some advantages to consider:

* You can carry more stuff, whether discs or other stuff (jacket, towels, clothes, beverages, etc.).
* The load is lighter. I put all the stuff from my deluxe bag and quad straps(15 discs, & misc.) in it. It definitely felt lighter carrying them from hole to hole.
* Less bending over. You can put oft-used discs in the top, and you can grab it by the handle moving around the green. (Probably a bigger deal to us older guys).

On the other hand, I like to keep the pouches unzipped, and the 5th time I knocked it over and spilled my discs, I had had enough. And I found getting discs in and out more cumbersome than an open-topped bag.

So it's an individual choice.

But keep this in mind: it seems most of the people who have tried both a bag and a backpack, have stuck with the backpack. You can't think they're all fools.

On the other hand, I like to keep the pouches unzipped, and the 5th time I knocked it over and spilled my discs, I had had enough. And I found getting discs in and out more cumbersome than an open-topped bag

This ^ and the price are the 2 main cons to a backpack. Do the ergonomic benifits out weight those 2 negatives? Depends on who you ask. I own 2 backpacks and have a somewhat love hate relationship with them

I've been worried about spilling the discs from my top shelf before, but I've definitely toppled my bag over a few times and I've never lost a discs out of the bag. The top shelf sits on top of the discs in the bottom, and the shelf itself is snug around the discs in the top. I haven't zipped up the main compartment since the first day I got the bag.

My Grip A-series can fall flat on it's face, and roll down a hill, and the discs aren't coming out of it. Some backpacks are better than others in that regard.

On the other hand, I like to keep the pouches unzipped, and the 5th time I knocked it over and spilled my discs, I had had enough. And I found getting discs in and out more cumbersome than an open-topped bag.

This is indicative of the Ranger, not backpacks in general. The guys I play with that have rangers are always having this issue, but not the one using grips or prodiscus. Even the cheap Magellan doesn't have this issue.

I don't have a backpack as a weekend player. I don't have back issues or problems playing my 2-3 rounds one day a week with straps and a bag. So I haven't found a reason to upgrade, but if I only had a starter bag and was committed to playing a more I might spend the extra cash. Depends on what you want from a bag but an Innova Competition bag will last you a long time if you don't need the extra ergonomic support of a backpack.

Should you a buy bag and straps, remember to ride it as high as possible on your back. If you let the bag ride too low it will be way less comfortable.

I'd say its worth it just for the better load distribution. You might not think your back gets tired lugging around a bag with straps... until you use a backpack style bag.

Definitely the best 'quality of life' upgrade you can make for your game.

I've been worried about spilling the discs from my top shelf before, but I've definitely toppled my bag over a few times and I've never lost a discs out of the bag. The top shelf sits on top of the discs in the bottom, and the shelf itself is snug around the discs in the top. I haven't zipped up the main compartment since the first day I got the bag.

My Grip A-series can fall flat on it's face, and roll down a hill, and the discs aren't coming out of it. Some backpacks are better than others in that regard.

It is, of course, an individual gripe, both as to the user (me) and the particular bag (Ranger).

But in either case, I tend to have a less-than-full bag, so the discs aren't very snug. And I find a standard bag with an open top extremely easy to get discs in and out, and difficult to knock over; backpacks, and bags with a smaller window, a bit less so. My own idiosyncracy.

I'll test-drive another model, at some point, but suspect I'll end up sticking with the bag.

When I used to have my Fade Tourney fall over, you were guaranteed to have to be picking up discs. Hills were especially fun.

With the Grip, even if it flops over, the discs are going rolling down the hill.

With the plethora of more affordable backpacks out there, it seems like a good bargain. Grab a Salient Ember, or Fossa bag, or an used Grip or Ranger. Once you have a backpack, its hard to imagine going back to a tourney style bag with straps.

I got my Ranger as a gift. If I had bought it myself it would have been months of dithering on here before pulling the trigger -- and there were other backpacks I probably would have looked at first.

Having said that, I'm really happy with the Ranger. The extra space is really great. You don't always need it, but when you do you're glad it's there. I was especially impressed this summer when I was the only one with an umbrella because it was so easy to carry and a storm popped up at Ashe County when we were too far out to run for it. One drawback is the inevitable, "oh you've got room - let me throw this in there... "

And it also comes with a divider so if you don't want to carry all the discs you can keep however many you have snug. I've done that, too.

All good points here. The ergonomics was the big selling point for me on backpacks, but another issue that gets overlooked a lot is that the straps on the backpacks stay high and dry when you set it down. When I had a standard bag with quad straps, they would always end up on the ground no matter how diligent I'd try to be. Be it from wet grass, mud, or on one unfortunate occasion, the poo, my straps would get soiled somehow.

I went from a starter bag to a DIY bag and then to the Upper park shift. I found the starter and DIY bag worked well when I first started but once you find discs you must have, you need more room. Once you have all the discs you need, you then need room for water (this adds so much weight to any bag), snacks, socks, towels....it goes on.

I play so much now that I've come to the conclusion I do not want to carry anything! I'm in the process of getting a Ridge Roller and while expensive, it will make my rounds more fun and allow me to continue to play without the added weight and constant up and down with any bag. I want the least amount of weight and fatigue a cart will allow me. This was the case with the backpack and the reason I got one at the time.

That ridge roller looks pretty luxurious, lol. I can't say I wouldn't use one if I had it.

I play so much now that I've come to the conclusion I do not want to carry anything! I'm in the process of getting a Ridge Roller

Seems like this is the standard progression into "Disc Golf Old Guy"

One disc chucker -> Small bag -> Bigger bag with quads -> Backpack -> "**** it I'm getting a cart"

How little fatigue do you guys really want? Isn't a little exercise a good thing? Unless you are playing tournaments or road-trip bagging for days in a row, what's the point?

How little fatigue do you guys really want? Isn't a little exercise a good thing? Unless you are playing tournaments or road-trip bagging for days in a row, what's the point?

For me that kind of IS the point. I can carry much more weight, and in a much more healthy way, with my backpack. It's not nearly as much weight, but it brings me back a bit to rucking around in the Army. I know for a fact that I'm getting much more of a physical benefit out of wearing a fully loaded and properly set up back pack than I would be with any other type of bag.

Yeah, a lot of us do both of those things frequently. So it is very much the point. And more stress and strain on your back is NOT the same thing as more exercise