• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it really worth it?

A bit unnecessary to assume anyone who has a higher priced backpack is trying to flaunt a name around. Poo-poo on you for that assumption. If I could've order my backpack Blank I would've. I got it for the convenience it affords and it will most likely outlast me

Then again, I don't have anything to prove by a "name" embroidered on the back of my backpack. I just need something to hold around 20 discs, some water/bugspray/towels and personal stuff, and that Magellan does that just fine.

Lol your funny. One of my playing buddies ripped me to pieces for spending $$$ on bags after he found the magellan. Wouldn't shut up about it... for about 90 days. Now he's begging me to cut him a deal on my other backpack, the one with the "name", that still looks brand new after a year of heavy use.

Ragging on people who spend money on good bags is like ragging on someone for buying a decent car. "If it's only job is to get around why would you spend 30k on a car? Yeah, nice Cadillac, my Cavalier goes from a to b the same way yours does, joke is on you!"

Please

I'm not going to judge anyone on their choice of what to use to carry their discs around. Everyone weighs all the options and factors, and comes to a decision. But I have learned over time that I would much rather spend more money up front for a higher quality, more durable option, than to have to attempt to maintain/repair or replace a cheaper alternative. That is a waste of my precious time and resources.

The Magellan gets poo-poo'd by many, but if you are a casual, weekend rec player and you want to spend 30 minuted and $10 with a hacksaw and some 1/2 CPVC - you'll end up with a fantastic backpack, that hangs with the $200 ones, for around $40.

I was on the fence for a LONG time. $200+ is a LOT of plastic, and a LOT of gas driving to new courses. $30 is what I spend on 2 discs at the store lol.

I do agree, on longer courses and days/weekends with multiple rounds it is a backsaver, and just generally more comfortable. I find that putting less strain on my right shoulder/neck while playing keeps me fresher and feeling better. There are some shorter pitch n putts nearby where I still use my crunch box - I tend to use the Magellan as a "master storage" bag, and for longer courses and double-rounds. I use my crunch box for a shorter, single round or when I'm focusing on 8-10 discs I want to dial in.
I use the Magellan. Used cardboard to make the frame. Been using it almost a year. Just get it.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-deluxe-disc-golf-backpack?repChildCatid=1270214

Another vote for the Magellan, I plan to get it soon, a steal at only $30.00

selling points are

Features and Benefits
•Adjustable shoulder straps and a padded back for comfortable carrying
•Made of ripstop and water-resistant material for durability
•Large main disc compartment holds more than 21 discs
•Soft-lined pocket for personal electronics
•Vertical, sleek zipper pockets
•Dual mesh water bottle holders for 32 oz. bottles
•Multifunctional side straps with compression buckles

The magellan is a great deal and i would have bought one, but two of my friends who bought them about 3 months ago already have issues with seams and ones shoulder straps stiching is coming apart. Granted they do play a decent amount of disc golf.

If you want one, get one. The only person you have to justify it to is yourself (unless of course you're married)!

If I carried lots of discs and other stuff, I would get one. But in reality, I don't play tournaments, I carry 12-14 discs and a few accessories and I'm never more than a 20 minute walk to my car where I carry any other stuff I might need. Besides, the $200+ over the cost of my Fade Crunch buys a lot of discs.

To each their own.

A bit unnecessary to assume anyone who has a higher priced backpack is trying to flaunt a name around. Poo-poo on you for that assumption. If I could've order my backpack Blank I would've. I got it for the convenience it affords and it will most likely outlast me

Hmmm guess that doesn't go the other way then?

Just so I have this right:

It's ok to crap all over someone's choice of bag, as long as it's not an expensive one? :thmbup:

Got it!! Thanks for the clarification.

I'd love to see how many people actually keep their "high priced bags" for more than 3-4 years. I mean getting a quality bag is great and all. Spending that much for a bag that will "outlast you" seems like a bit of overkill. I just need something to hold some plastic for a few hours while I walk a golf course... not an investment that will last me until retirement. One of favorite aspects of this game is that unlike "real" golf (which I grew up playing) this game is pretty much accessible to anyone with having to spend absurd amounts of money to get into it. Spending 2x more than an actual golf bag on a backpack to hold discs, just sort of seems silly to me.

You guys enjoy your $2-300 bags. I'm not saying they suck - at all. But if you're gonna preach "brand tolerance" perhaps read my post in the context in which is was replied, and climb on down from your soapbox. It goes both ways. Or at least, it should.

There you go assuming once again. I never said anything about your bag of choice, you did about others. Get over it already and enjoy the bag that makes YOU happy and stop worrying about others.

And by the way you brought the soap box with you.

It all comes down to value & taste, right? Personally, I don't think there's a better value than the Innova Competition bag & straps. The pricier backpacks are more than twice as expensive and I'm not sure they deliver twice the value.

I've had back issues going back to high school and the Competition bag has not exacerbated those issues at all. It's also sturdy as hell. Have had mine for around 4 years and I play all year round and the only wear to it has been the stains in the material from my tournament tears.

Bag Tangent: I've always thought it was interesting that Innova lets McBeth use a Grip bag. Is Grip paying him a (disc golf) fortune for him to turn his back on his biggest corporate sponsor or did he just put his foot down and say, "for my game, I need to use this (Grip) bag and I just can't use one of your (Innova's) bags"? I wonder how much more Innova would have to pay him to use their bag?

Does anyone have the facts?

If you don't play much, the Magellan will probably work for you. As much as I play (5-10 rounds a week), the Magellan would be completely dead. I've seen two on the course now, and both guys pointed out the frayed edges, seams pulling apart, and other issues. Both of them made it very clear they wouldn't buy another one.

I've had my bag for 3 seasons now. I play year round in WI. I also attach it to a cart. I absolutely need a solid bag, not some floppy piece of crap.

It's nice that you think we're giving you a hard time...sounds like some bag envy to me. Hit me back up when you're cycling through your fourth Magellan bag, and I'm still rocking my Grip A.

Back to Innova Standard.

My son loaned me an Innova Standard Bag that had already been passed down through probably 6 other players. It was still in good shape, except it was worn to the extent that it wouldn't stand upright when you sat it down, always falling over spilling the contents. I wanted something larger, so bought a Dynamic Disc Soldier bag. It's a very nice bag, but I'm an older guy and found that packing the extra weight around for me just wasn't worth it when I never use more than 5 or 6 different discs in a round anyway .

Went out and bought another new Innova Standard Bag and decided it's just right for me.:thmbup: Will keep the Soldier to store extra discs in.:D

Everyone has to determine what's right for them.

It all comes down to value & taste, right? Personally, I don't think there's a better value than the Innova Competition bag & straps. The pricier backpacks are more than twice as expensive and I'm not sure they deliver twice the value.

They've very different (I've got both). Like night and day different. Just because it has straps over the shoulders, does not make it carry like a backpack. Good frame based packs, are unbelievably comfortable. Well made ones will last until you're tired of it (I've gone through more than a couple sets of quad straps and worn out a traditional bag or two.. comparison will depend bag to bag).

Value? Depends on many, many things. Including specific use (I carry a much smaller bag with quads for casual and glow rounds, it's simply more convenient and lighter). Lifetime warranty (that passes along with the bag) from a company that'll be around a long time, ain't such a bad thing either.

The thread was asking if they're worth it. Personally, I say for a long day of playing.. carrying some clothing, beverages, snacks, etc.. you betcha.

If you don't play much, the Magellan will probably work for you. As much as I play (5-10 rounds a week), the Magellan would be completely dead. I've seen two on the course now, and both guys pointed out the frayed edges, seams pulling apart, and other issues. Both of them made it very clear they wouldn't buy another one.

I've had my bag for 3 seasons now. I play year round in WI. I also attach it to a cart. I absolutely need a solid bag, not some floppy piece of crap.

It's nice that you think we're giving you a hard time...sounds like some bag envy to me. Hit me back up when you're cycling through your fourth Magellan bag, and I'm still rocking my Grip A.

+1

I am a 1, 2 time a week light use guy who would have a negotiation trying to get $200 into the budget for a "hobby" so I am more of a Magellan user, however if I was on the DG course as often as I was at the gym at the moment then I would deffo be looking for a better bag.

The Magellan is a fantastic deal. No question. For $40 (or $30 when they have their often sales) you can't deny the value. That was my original thought when I got mine. However, after one season, the right side's Stool Strap tore off, some seams are looking a little questionable and it's not the most stable or convenient to gets discs in and out of. You have to underload it to make it easy to pull discs. Moreover, the putter pocket in front got extremely loose. I play 5-6 times a week every week and a lot more over holidays/vacations.

This year, my Magellan lasted about 5 months and I was happy about the time I got out of it. I've used other backpacks, but ended up not liking how much unused space Rangers had, how much a Grip weighs, or how many other backpacks look. (I'm looking at you, Salient) However, my UPD was only $100 (Slight Shift) and is a WORLD of difference. I used an Innova Competition bag for near a decade and was happy with it. It held up GREAT, but I'm glad to have more convenient and comfortable bags now.

Bag Tangent: I've always thought it was interesting that Innova lets McBeth use a Grip bag. Is Grip paying him a (disc golf) fortune for him to turn his back on his biggest corporate sponsor or did he just put his foot down and say, "for my game, I need to use this (Grip) bag and I just can't use one of your (Innova's) bags"? I wonder how much more Innova would have to pay him to use their bag?

Does anyone have the facts?

Innova doesn't make a tour ready bag. Before the backpacks hit it big innova players mostly used revos. Innova has never really made a bag to cater to the hardcover dg scene anyway

I picked up an Innova tournament bag at a sporting goods store on a 20% off sale so 40 bucks and grabbed some backpack straps for another $20. Holds 20 discs inside and 2 putters in the outside pocket. Also has 2 water pouches plus 2 zip pouches and a mini holder. I personally love it. The zip pouches are big enough to cram my shirt into on hot days. I personally love it. Its easy to manuever, I never zip it up on the course and never lose discs. Has 2 velcro dividers I can move around depending on what load of discs I'm taking out. I slot my discs in a certain order so as I'm walking to different holes I can reach into the bag and pull by feel without looking so I'm not screwing around or wasting time on the course. For a $60 investment total, its well worth the money.

I had a tournament bag until it was stolen out of my trunk so some dope fiends could haul a box of Boy Scout popcorn without doing so much work :mad:

It was perfect to hold 12 discs on the outside of the dividers and a sixer in the middle :hfive:

Innova doesn't make a tour ready bag. Before the backpacks hit it big innova players mostly used revos. Innova has never really made a bag to cater to the hardcover dg scene anyway

Innova doesn't make a tour ready bag? What's their big Disccarrier bag? What exactly makes a bag "tour ready"? Does it have to be a backpack? Are there any backpack bags on the market that aren't "tour ready"? And what exactly makes a bag suitable for the hardcover dg scene? I'm only a softcover dg scenester. At least until recently I've observed Steve Rico using a custom DiscCarrier-esque, non-backpack bag so he could tote around 30+ discs and he's pretty hardcover, isn't he?

If Innova paid McBeth enough, he'd use whatever bag they wanted him to. I'm just curious how much that would have to be. And how much more it is than what Grip pays him now.