• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it really worth it?

How little fatigue do you guys really want? Isn't a little exercise a good thing? Unless you are playing tournaments or road-trip bagging for days in a row, what's the point?
As little fatigue as possible. ESPECIALLY on my lower back.

I'll ride my bike or do a myriad of other more targeted 'exercises' when I feel like a work-out.

Basically... get old then get back to us.

How little fatigue do you guys really want? Isn't a little exercise a good thing? Unless you are playing tournaments or road-trip bagging for days in a row, what's the point?

Sorry. I was talking about carts. I use a backpack. Smaller Grip in summer, Mahal in winter (to carry the extra gear). And I play A LOT of rounds. Backpacks are absolutely worth it.

But carts? I like to feel like I got more exercise than I get walking my luggage through the airport. I get it if you are older (I'm no spring chicken), or have bum knees, or are on a marathon roadtrip, or want to be fresh for the Sunday afternoon round in a tournament, but for sneaking in a quick 18 on a Tuesday night?

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't ever buy a cart, but I look at the ridge roller and think about ALL THE STUFF you could fit on it... We're talking a 12 pack, 30 discs, a boxed lunch and a bitchin' sound system. I know that's absurd but I am what I am.

When I used to have my Fade Tourney fall over, you were guaranteed to have to be picking up discs. Hills were especially fun.

With the Grip, even if it flops over, the discs are going rolling down the hill.

With the plethora of more affordable backpacks out there, it seems like a good bargain. Grab a Salient Ember, or Fossa bag, or an used Grip or Ranger. Once you have a backpack, its hard to imagine going back to a tourney style bag with straps.

Thanks for the tip on looking at the Salient Ember and the Fossa bags I think I'll end up with the Fossa but not made up my mind 100% yet.

I was much in the the same position not really wanting to spend more then $100. Had it narrowed down to the salient ember, fossa tanna, & upper park slight shift. I ended up getting the shift because it has a 1 year normal wear & tear replacement. And a 10 year manufacturing warranty.

The Shift, even at full cost, has the most bang for your buck and comfort. Added benefit, it comes with a rainfly.

The only thing is you want to carry 20, but things might be a bit tight. If you use the inside mesh pockets it should suffice. Other shift owners may want to chime in to give their opinion on capacity.

Last thing, the Shift is the most 'standard bag' like out of most backpack style bags. Maybe the Salient Spark is close. Everything is loaded from the top, no bending way over to stuff your discs into a hole that is most often too small.

So I'v been playing with a Standard Innova bag sense I got into this sport and I'v been looking at an upgrade. Something that can hold 20 discs or so. But I can't bring myself to drop 150 bucks or more on one of the backpack set ups when I can get the Innova Competition bag for 50 and then just get the backpack strap set up for it or one of the cheeper backpacks for like 40......

Are you just mostly paying for looks and the name with the high end bags or are they really better and if so why?

Is it worth it?

Yes, especially if you use it a lot. Life is too short to not be comfortable. Comfort is king

As was said earlier, one of the most overlooked great qualities of a backpack is having the straps upright and easy to use. Quad straps are nice, but they're not always user friendly.

I don't want to take away from this thread regarding is it worth it regarding backpacks but I think it is very much worth it if you know you will be playing for a long time and need the space and added comfort.

I would have never considered a cart if these damn Texas courses weren't so damn long. The shift was a gift for xmas and in the end it cost me $20. Out of my pocket the RR will cost me $97 (sold a bag, basket and ace pot money helps). I do not see myself using the cart for a quick 18 at the shortest courses but for the majority of the courses I really enjoy (longer) I would rather have my energy to throw well. In the end I see it as an investment to keep me out and playing until I'm 70.

The Shift, even at full cost, has the most bang for your buck and comfort. Added benefit, it comes with a rainfly.

The only thing is you want to carry 20, but things might be a bit tight. If you use the inside mesh pockets it should suffice. Other shift owners may want to chime in to give their opinion on capacity.

Yeah, I can't really imagine stuffing 20 into mine. Currently I have it set up with 13 easy access and 2 extras in the inside mesh more for stability or if I taco another putter.

In general though, I am super happy that I went for the backpack upgrade. My shoulders have never been able to make it through 36 holes without pain carrying anything else and I've done it twice in 3 weeks with the new pack!

The Magellan gets poo-poo'd by many, but if you are a casual, weekend rec player and you want to spend 30 minuted and $10 with a hacksaw and some 1/2 CPVC - you'll end up with a fantastic backpack, that hangs with the $200 ones, for around $40.

I was on the fence for a LONG time. $200+ is a LOT of plastic, and a LOT of gas driving to new courses. $30 is what I spend on 2 discs at the store lol.

I do agree, on longer courses and days/weekends with multiple rounds it is a backsaver, and just generally more comfortable. I find that putting less strain on my right shoulder/neck while playing keeps me fresher and feeling better. There are some shorter pitch n putts nearby where I still use my crunch box - I tend to use the Magellan as a "master storage" bag, and for longer courses and double-rounds. I use my crunch box for a shorter, single round or when I'm focusing on 8-10 discs I want to dial in.

For a tournament player, it is very helpful to have additional storage for extra clothes, food and other gear and I would say a backpack bag is a bit more comfortable during a long day. For a more casual player its probably not worth the expense.

As I have played more events, I have appreciated having plenty of food, water and rain gear with me while others with less bag are typically less prepared.

The Magellan gets poo-poo'd by many, but if you are a casual, weekend rec player and you want to spend 30 minuted and $10 with a hacksaw and some 1/2 CPVC - you'll end up with a fantastic backpack, that hangs with the $200 ones, for around $40.

I was on the fence for a LONG time. $200+ is a LOT of plastic, and a LOT of gas driving to new courses. $30 is what I spend on 2 discs at the store lol.

I do agree, on longer courses and days/weekends with multiple rounds it is a backsaver, and just generally more comfortable. I find that putting less strain on my right shoulder/neck while playing keeps me fresher and feeling better. There are some shorter pitch n putts nearby where I still use my crunch box - I tend to use the Magellan as a "master storage" bag, and for longer courses and double-rounds. I use my crunch box for a shorter, single round or when I'm focusing on 8-10 discs I want to dial in.

No offense, but the Magellan is made out of crap materials, and isn't nearly the bag that the "big boys" are. It doesn't even come close to the quality, or aesthetics.

Seems like this is the standard progression into "Disc Golf Old Guy" One disc chucker -> Small bag -> Bigger bag with quads -> Backpack -> "**** it I'm getting a cart"

LOL... kind of the opposite, or a bell curve maybe for some of us (that have been playing for awhile), I'd say.

One disc chucker - Nutsac - Larger Starter bag - Tourney bag (15-20discs) or larger - "heck with this, back to Nutsac" - " Screw it, two disc rounds sound like a good idea"

The Magellan gets poo-poo'd by many...

No offense, but the Magellan is made out of crap materials, and isn't nearly the bag that the "big boys" are. It doesn't even come close to the quality, or aesthetics.

And... on cue.

Thanks for proving my point. :clap:

I can fit as many discs in my Magellan as a Ranger/EQ etc... In other words, it serves the same purpose and fill the same "role". It gives me all the features of a $200+ bag, without the heavier materials and stitching, and for less cost than the price of adding crappy shoulder straps to a smaller bag. Aesthetics are completely subjective. I think many of those giganto camo bags are freaking hideous, and I find the blue/grey of my Magellan quite pleasing. Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz...

If you want to see if a backpack style bag is a "fit" for your golf needs, then the Magellan is a great way to try one out - on the cheap. Mine is holding up great, and unless I start playing 2 day tourneys every other weekend, I predict it will hold up just fine for a couple seasons of 3-4 rounds per week on my local course. Do I expect it to hold up for 5+ years? Heck no.

Then again, I don't have anything to prove by a "name" embroidered on the back of my backpack. I just need something to hold around 20 discs, some water/bugspray/towels and personal stuff, and that Magellan does that just fine.