• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it so wrong?

icereaper

I was playing Bradford Park, NC this last Sunday with 4 other friends. Every tee pad was full for the next 10 holes with ppl playing in between people waiting. Hole 3 a pair comes up to us. We have been waiting at the tee pad for about 5-7 minutes for the group in front of us to finish the hole. Once we started throwing our disc; the pair behind us yelled at us "since we aren't going to be nice"..... They will go figure it out and trotted to the next hole. (Which was also swamped with people)

Is it so bad that people assume that we didn't let them play through just because we have 5 and they have 2? We would have had to wait for them on this for that hole as well as every hold there after.

I would have let them play through, even if they weren't going to get too far

Always seems quicker when a two some is doing the waiting in front of you than a four of fivesome.

No, not really. You don't have to let them play through even if you are the only group there besides them... If I were in a group of two coming up on you, I wouldn't even think to ask at a crowded course... if you were playing fast, I wouldn't think to ask either... if you are slow, then I would.

Asking implies that the answer could be no or yes. I'm guessing they asked... you never said they did or didn't.

They never asked; they sat behind us for maybe 20 seconds before the group ahead of us finally finished. (about 6 minutes we have been waiting)

They should have read the room a little better and been able to tell that you were waiting on someone who was waiting on someone and so on. you aren't wrong to not let them pass as it would just stack 2 more people in front of you. If I find myself in that situation I generally suggest we join since we will be together the rest of the round anyway. I have made some friends like that that I still regularly play.

They never asked; they sat behind us for maybe 20 seconds before the group ahead of us finally finished. (about 6 minutes we have been waiting)

You should have at least acknowledged their presence and pointed out the crowded course situation (some people really don't notice). If they still asked to play through I would have let them go in a passive aggressive manner. I'd rather have another 5-some behind me than a couple of impatient jerks.

You should have at least acknowledged their presence and pointed out the crowded course situation (some people really don't notice). If they still asked to play through I would have let them go in a passive aggressive manner. I'd rather have another 5-some behind me than a couple of impatient jerks, then you can turn it around on them on an upcoming hole and moan when they are holding YOU up.

No problem...other than now having to add 2 more people ahead of you to play through. My solution when the course is that packed? Find another course or do some field work.

Passive-aggressive people like that really irritate me: people that don't have the ability to ask for what they want but throw a comment over their shoulder when they don't get it.

If I were in the 2-some, yes I would want to play through even though I would have another group to play through ahead of me. I would get through eventually and I wouldn't want to sit behind 5-somes for 3 hours. I don't think their desire to play through was unreasonable but their execution was dumb.

Not being there, it's impossible to assess the situation completely, however, I've seen far too many times a larger/slow group that conveniently puts blinders up when there's a smaller/faster group behind them. Eventually the fast group will catch up to the slow group as they're teeing off, and the slow group will just mosey on as if there wasn't somebody two steps behind them. Not coincidentally, they also tend to be the groups hauling as many beers as discs, and throwing about 50' on average.

Needless to say, I've been in the position of the small/fast group and had this happen often enough for it to be one of my biggest pet peeves of disc golf. Even when a course is crowded, a small group can often thread through the backups, get out front and play at a regular pace, not holding anyone up. That is, of course, if they're allowed to play through or play out the hole with the slow group.

If you're keeping up with the group in front of you, it doesn't really help to let folks play through. If you're playing slower than the group in front of you, letting a smaller group play through is the nice thing to do.

Hey, it could be worse... on crowded stick golf courses some marshals make you pick up your ball and walk/drive to the next hole if you're not keeping up with the group directly ahead of you.

Yes, it was wrong. Course etiquette dictates that the smaller group gets allowed through. It always helps thin out the backups, which is why it is in the rules listed at most courses. Try it sometime and you'll see I'm right. They would've made it through the next big group, and so on, provided everyone else does the right thing. If all have the same attitude as you did; however, it will continue to be a cluster@#$^

Hey, it could be worse... on crowded stick golf courses some marshals make you pick up your ball and walk/drive to the next hole if you're not keeping up with the group directly ahead of you.

Nice. I wish we had that in disc golf.

But to answer the original question: When a course is crowded, everybody needs to just take a chill pill. But, realistically, that is not likely to happen.
If the guys behind you don't realize that the course is crowded, I guess it might be ones civic duty to enlighten the uninformed (or ignorant).
I would let a smaller group thru, and then tell them I'd see them at the next tee pad. Sort of to emphasize the fact that they wouldn't get very far before we would meet again.

These are lose-lose scenarios most of the time. Usually what I do is invite the guys to tee off with us and see what happens. If the other guys out throw everybody in your group easily just let them keep going. If everybody's the same, eh they get to play with you for a hole or two until a group member loses a disc and has to search for it or goes lumberjacking or something. Like everybody said, when a course is backed up it doesn't really matter.

But to answer the original question: When a course is crowded, everybody needs to just take a chill pill. But, realistically, that is not likely to happen.
If the guys behind you don't realize that the course is crowded, I guess it might be ones civic duty to enlighten the uninformed (or ignorant).
I would let a smaller group thru, and then tell them I'd see them at the next tee pad. Sort of to emphasize the fact that they wouldn't get very far before we would meet again.

It's only sometimes true that a small group won't get very far. If they are fast enough, they may be able to play the hole and get to the next one before that group is done teeing and play through/with them as well.

Also, unless the course is REALLY crowded, there's bound to be a spot somewhere where there's a really slow group with a couple clear holes in front of them.

I've definitely pulled up to a course before like "crap, this is going to take forever", and then played through 7 or 8 groups on the first 5-6 holes and then had enough clear holes in front of me that I didn't have to play through anyone else till near the end. If a group didn't let me through it would have taken forever, but since everyone did I got 10 holes of semi-normal pace.

FWIW, Bradford has a regular Sunday doubles league. I don't know how that played into this scenario, but I personally check the CharlotteDGC website when I'm not sure, so I can avoid playing solo/casual group rounds in the middle of an organized league round.

Hey, it could be worse... on crowded stick golf courses.......

How would someone play golf with a stick? Is this some crazy, awesome, new golf style game using a javelin? Please let the targets be huge groups of chuckers, drinking natty lite, and refusing to let people play through. I would so pay to play that.

Or did you mean golf? Either way, my idea is better.

Edit: I'm not implying the op is javelin target material.

Last edited:

Latest posts