• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] King Cobra?

TN Teebird

Par Member
My buddy just recently let me borrow a King Cobra to try. It got too late when we left to try it out so I was curious to how it throws. Are there any similarities to the Roc3?

I'm mainly a Roc thrower,but he thinks I would do very well with this disc. I've never thrown one before so I have no clue what it's like. I know it feels pretty good in the hand though.

They feel similar.

Beaded, bead size, speed, plastic [Innova], general shoulder profile (top outside portion). What are you looking to get out of them? Based upon your DGCR profile they're redundant - I personally throw Cobras but you've been playing for 16 years and throw Rocs/Comets. What do you need that you don't already have? I'm happy to entertain any question or thought you may have but at this point in your disc career a mold transition seems pointless.

I love Cobras.

I got one yesterday. Have to try it today.

King Cobra feels like old San Marino Sentinel. Which is a good thing. New Sentinels are really domey.

Cobras (Champ Kings & DX) would be the only mid I need, if not for +10mph headwinds...

Enter the flat mx weight Champ Roc3 (or flat mx weight Rancho).

But this is fact: The King Cobra is one of my longest discs, period. It has magical glide.

Last edited:
they fly straight to fade, very stable disc.

pretty much a slim profile roc/innovas buzzz

I've had one in my bag since they released as a workhorse mid and it still does't flip.

Ok I just got home from the course. King Cobra is a really nice mid. Threw it a lot today.

It's less stable than Sentinels and Roc3 and it has less fade. But King Cobra is not flippy at all.

Let's see if this disc kicks Roc3 out of the bag. I like Sentinels more than Roc3 and I actually need less stable mid in my bag.

Cool thanks guys.

I'll just throw it around a bit today since Fridays is throw til you have a good shot day lol.

Probably won't bag it since I throw rocs,but I'm gonna give a good testing today.

rumor is that the ont. mold cobra/king cobra is next to be OOP.

Flipping through discs at a Walmart around me I noticed some ont. dx cobras so either they are still molding them or they are getting rid of old stock. They don't have patent numbers, but I don't know if that means anything.

fwiw old mold Ontario Cobras are different than the new school ones with different engravings on the bottom. Newer runs can say Ontario and still not be the OGs!

Sorry for the double I missed my edit window.

OOP:
aD5hQJf.jpg

New/King run:
K867fka.jpg

fwiw old mold Ontario Cobras are different than the new school ones with different engravings on the bottom. Newer runs can say Ontario and still not be the OGs!

The good thing about this is that people that have not been playing a LONG time and have a love affair with the Cobra can buy off the shelf discs :thmbup:!

All that awesome-ness at every day low DX prices and have them be/fly the same as the one you are replacing.

I seriously hope the OOP thing is a rumor ( especially for a disc only ran mostly in DX )...Innova would be crazy to put the ol- trusty Cobra down :confused:.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double I missed my edit window.

OOP:
aD5hQJf.jpg

New/King run:
K867fka.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I have never seen the older tooling before :thmbup:.

How does the King Compare to the standard DX version?

I know they have different flight numbers, is that just the Champ plastic that makes the King more stable?

The DX and King do share the same current mold right?

Last edited:
Ontario dx cobras and king cobras not the same the king cobra is a completely different disc from all other cobras

Ontario cobras come in dx, glow dx, proline, champion
Classic cobras come in dx, star, glow champ
King cobras come in champ, glow champ

omuygurd

I have emailed dunipace multiple times and he confirmed Ont. and King cobras are the SAME!

It was simply a re-brand because champ cobras fly differently enough (from the classic mold design to warrant it's own flight numbers/name.

match up the rims if you're ever confused as to what kind of cobra/tooling if it's not obvious.

Ont/KING cobras have a much blunter/thicker nose and fly stable while classic mold cobras have a sharp driver looking nose and have a flippyer flight path.

^Have you thrown an old Champ? Not the same as a King Cobra...I don't care if Dave called me right now and told me they were the same:|

I think the new tooling of ontario cobras are the same as king cobras, the old school ontario tooling is a different mold.

omuygurd

I have emailed dunipace multiple times and he confirmed Ont. and King cobras are the SAME!

It was simply a re-brand because champ cobras fly differently enough (from the classic mold design to warrant it's own flight numbers/name.

match up the rims if you're ever confused as to what kind of cobra/tooling if it's not obvious.

Ont/KING cobras have a much blunter/thicker nose and fly stable while classic mold cobras have a sharp driver looking nose and have a flippyer flight path.

No F'ing way the King Cobra is the same as the original Cobra.

I was stoked when the King Cobra was announced, but very disappointed after throwing one. When thrown the Ont & King Cobras side by side, the flights where nowhere near the same I have an original Ontario stamped Champ Cobra from when they were first produced. It flies stable/straight, not much fade at the end, just good and straight for a long way. King Cobra always had more fade at the end, even after I beat on it for a few months.

I'm not buying what Dunipace is saying on this one.

PS. This is the one disc I wish I had bought and stock piled back in the day. I'd still be throwing it if I had a bunch of backups.

Last edited: