• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat 64 Pure

I've thrown Spikes and they are pretty good neutral to understable putter for drives and approaches. Kind of like an XD. I'm trying to use the Wizard for all those shots so I have benched the Spike, but it is a good disc.

Anybody got a Pure in a lighter weight? A buddy of mine has been looking for one in the 165-168 or so range.

Mines 172

I got a response back from Dave and he was trying to explain the names of their S, SS and SSS plastics and trying to sell me 5 for $40, which is a good deal but I dont think I need start with 5 to try, and it seems like he was not getting or acknowledging that I was getting at how some SS feel like mediums.

Maybe I should just PM Discspeed and see what hes got down there.

I have given up on my spikes. I know every disc can roll but I have had so many roll aways, weird bounce outs and other strange things with my spike that I just had to let it go. I loved it, was comfortable with it but it turned its back on me too many times.

This is the old, funky rubbery zero that felt like a million bucks.

Pure vs. Magic

I just did some light testing on a Zero Pure vs. a Soft Magic.

Both discs are beat about equally 6/7 out of 10.

Test was done indoors from standing still throwing a distance of around 100 feet. Ceiling was around 10 feet.

Speed: Pure was faster. It got to the target area quickly while the Magic moseyed along.

Glide/float: I'm not really positive I can seperate glide vs. float so I'm putting them together. The Magic definitly had more float. While the the Pure had nice glide getting to the target area quickly and smoothly, the Magic seemed to float like it was held up with a balloon.

Height: The Pure liked a low line. Direct, point to point is how I'd describe it. The Magic needed more headroom to work it's way to the target.

HSS: For the speed/style I was throwing the discs they seemed pretty equal in high speed stability. I would rate it as a zero to -1. Note though the short distance I was throwing, I was not throwing them very far. Any difference between the two was probably due to the thrower.

LSS: The Pure was definitly more low speed stable. If thrown up high it will stall out and fade quickly and hard. The Magic on the other hand stayed relatively flat and just floated to the ground.

My opinion:

The Pure seems to like low fast lines. It will go where you aim it as long as you get it there quickly. I think of the two it is better suited as a "Driving" putter. The shape of the rim although about as deep as the Magic feels more comfortable in my hand with a driving grip. It reminded me more of an XD than an Aviar.

The Magic was a slow floater that needed more height. It gave of feeling of confidence knowing you didn't have to put a ton of speed to get it to where you wanted it. This disc (for me) would work better for controlled upshots than driving off the tee.

That's it. As a putter I think I'll go for the Magic as I'm more of a lob/loft "throw the phone book on the table" putter. For someone who likes to power it into the chains though the Pure may be the disc of choice.

Last edited:
Thinking of trying the pure or magic on jump putts beyond 45'. My banger gt fades more than I like on long putts. Any thoughts?

i've hit more putts outside the circle with my magic than any other putter i've ever thrown. i doubt i'll be switching any time soon.

I wanted to like the pure, but just couldn't find a plastic I liked it in. Grip line is much like star plastic, and glides much like a putter in star plastic...which is to say, poorly. Zero line reminded me of the crappy R-Pro runs. Slippery when compared to most putter plastic, and chunked when I hit the tray for the first time. I like the way the mold felt, just waiting until they run it in a better plastic.

It seems to be hit or miss with putters more so than any other disc. Every one has their favorite. Mine is the Pure. Got a small stockpile of them just in case they don't stick around. The disc feels good in hand, and just seems "trusty" to me. I like the Grip Line for (in addition to chain grabbing ability) the fact that it throws well wet or dry, and it takes a little longer to beat up. It also has just the right amount of stability to handle trick lines to the basket.

I threw Pure Zeros for a couple of month,then I tried the Spike Zeros. I love the little grip pads, I keep a stock pile.

I wanted to like the pure, but just couldn't find a plastic I liked it in. Grip line is much like star plastic, and glides much like a putter in star plastic...which is to say, poorly. Zero line reminded me of the crappy R-Pro runs. Slippery when compared to most putter plastic, and chunked when I hit the tray for the first time. I like the way the mold felt, just waiting until they run it in a better plastic.

Perhaps you received a bad zero line pure or haven't used both the r-pro plastic and zero line plastic for an entire season yet b/c the zero line is definitely grippier than the r-pro (which feels slippery after broken in)...i just felt both disc prior to writing this :thmbup:

Both the grip and zero line are grippy to begin. However, after a couple of months the grip line feels more like the star plastic (but still grippy) and the zero line still feels grippy, kinda tacky feel. And of course, after washing both disc they feel even better...or play with them in the rain and you appreciate the zero line tremendously.

For me, I use my 173 grip line for drives 300 or less. If I want it dead straight, on drives about 240-300 then I'll release it w/slight hyzer knowing that it'll flatten out at about 150 ft. then straight on to my target. If I want it to finish a little to the right on drives 200-300 ft., then I'll release it flat. My favorite shot with the grip line pure is 240-300 ft. annie's. I just love watching it sail to my target. In between my classes today, I played a round of 27 with a friend. On one particular hole, the right side was lined up with spruce pine and the left side was wide open down hill to the creek. the basket was behind the pine trees 260 ft. I throw an anhyzer with my pure and parked it a foot from the basket. My point to the story is this; find a putter that feels good in your hands and practice situational shots and understand it's flight path & how it behaves in the air and it'll pay off. I use to practice 3/4 times per week for about an hour or so for the first 3/4 weeks on flat, hyzer, and anhyzer shots with my grip line pure before playing a round of 27...now I only spend about an hour a week. It'll be frustrating initially no doubt, but once you figure out the disc, then you'll enjoy it more.

And depending on the summer heat and humidity I may switch to the grip line for all my putting (excluding windy days, which then I have my sinus AP). But normally, I use my 173 zero line for all putting up to about 80 ft., after which, I'll throw an actual approach shot. The zero line is definitely grippier of the two and I love it. The zero line is not made for driving, unless your driving in an open grassy field. And I always find it comical when people complain how the zero line doesn't hold up as driving AFTER they've hit a trees or two :doh: I have made more putts outside 55 ft with my pure and than with any other putters. But that's only b/c I have spent a lot of time practicing with it.

I have a little stock pile of them...10 red 173 zero line pures and 5 yellow 173 grip line pures-just in case i loose on or two in a tournament

Last edited:
Just got a pure in the last batch of discs that i bought.

As a driver: Very straight flight and holds a line well. dropped it right by the hole on a 200ft or so hole (i drive 300' on average)

As an Approach disc: This is where I most like the disc, I was dropping 100' approaches within 5' or so of the basket all day, a rarity for me. the approach shot has earned this disc a place in my bag

As a putter: Still undecided on this one, been using an aviar for over 2 years, so it's hard to break out of that.

Thinking of trying the pure or magic on jump putts beyond 45'. My banger gt fades more than I like on long putts. Any thoughts?

A zeroline pure fades for me outside the circle. A magic is a straight putter. I used to putt with a star xd(with the flashing removed) and for me the pure fades almost the same. So in summation, don't get a pure if you are not feeling the banger gt. But, most people I have played with that jump putt prefer overstable putters...

It seems to be hit or miss with putters more so than any other disc. Every one has their favorite. Mine is the Pure. Got a small stockpile of them just in case they don't stick around. The disc feels good in hand, and just seems "trusty" to me. I like the Grip Line for (in addition to chain grabbing ability) the fact that it throws well wet or dry, and it takes a little longer to beat up. It also has just the right amount of stability to handle trick lines to the basket.

This explanation gets my vote. I really like the Pure.

The grip pure feels like a star aviar. The zero line feels like an aviar made out of gateway organic plastic.

Feels more like a midrange without all the distance potential. I really like shallow putters that feel deep (pro rhynos), however this is shallow but feels shallow. Love grip line, love driving them, but they don't do what mids do why feeling like them.

At least for my putting style they do not work.

I liked it for approach and driving but not putting. I finally started looking for something "similar" but with a more blunt nose and went to the Magic and have been happy since.