• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Late Turnover Driver

Cronemus

What do you throw for that 320' hole that turns right very late to a guarded pin? My River turns too easily and too soon, my semi beat star sidewinder takes a little too much time to make it turn on a hole of that length. I have an SS Avenger then I haven't thrown enough to like it yet, but maybe thats my next disc for this shot? Any suggestions?

fury has a stupid late turn. its like almost a meathook to the left if you put enough mustard on it. otherwise its a finesse disc.

beat up that sw more and it will work great. or get a gstarrr sw. late turn right outta the box. those things are like seasoned sidewinders.

or learn to flick ;)

Agreed. You really have to learn to flick to have that shot consistently. I can't. So I throw a mid straight to where the hole turns andjust take the par and move on instead of trying the low percentage late fade shot.

I don't think what you're asking for really even exists. If the disc turns, it will turn most when it flies the fastest, which means the beginning part of the flight.

If a flick is not an option, then your best bet is to throw a really US disc with a lot of hyzer so that it just takes long enough time for it to get flat and eventually turn over. Not the easiest shot to control tho. :\

I wouldn't really try to throw such shots with a driver. They tend to fade when thrown with little power even if it's an understable disc. If you throw them with more power they will turn too early.

I personally try to avoid throwing those shots with a driver (if I throw bh) and use an understable midrange (beat roc) or a putter instead, depending on the height of the ceiling. If I have to throw from a bad stance I sometimes hyzerflip a wildcat.

However, if you really want to throw a driver I'd have to agree with the above. Throw a hyzerflip with a really understable disc and hope it goes where you want. Obviously the easiest shot would be a flick.

I don't think what you're asking for really even exists. If the disc turns, it will turn most when it flies the fastest, which means the beginning part of the flight.

If a flick is not an option, then your best bet is to throw a really US disc with a lot of hyzer so that it just takes long enough time for it to get flat and eventually turn over. Not the easiest shot to control tho. :\

This :thmbup:

Your best bet is probably to lay up or throw forehand.

The River could possibly work if it's beat in enough. As everyone else said, throw on a hyzer, get it to flip to flat going straight and finish with late turn. Tricky shot though. I can hit those once in a while around 250' with a Meteor, but it's harder with drivers.

A straight shot followed by a 30 ft putt is the way to go.

It's all about knowing your discs. I can get a right finish on a hyzer flipped spd at 360 ft. Not what I recommend, but it works for me.

fury has a stupid late turn. its like almost a meathook to the left if you put enough mustard on it. otherwise its a finesse disc.

beat up that sw more and it will work great. or get a gstarrr sw. late turn right outta the box. those things are like seasoned sidewinders.

or learn to flick ;)

i meant to say meathook to the right (thrown rhbh im assuming)

mattc has the same idea too!

If you have enough room you could also throw a thumber, my XXX thumber does what you are describing consistently. My flick with the same disc does it some of the time, I just need to keep working at it.

I've been hyzerflipping a Dynamic Discs Thief since it came out for this shot. Given a flippy enough disc and enough hyzer, you can get this flight.

Throw to the left side of the fairway so you have as much room to work a turnover shot back right, and try to use height to your advantage to manipulate the fade. An understable disc can take more power without running right to the ground if you throw as high up as possible. Might not be the greatest explanation (also might be obvious, but I am trying to be helpful), but when I am aiming these kinds of shots thinking about that helps me.

I use a leopard or sidewinder most of the time. A beat up pro or DX leo can be thrown on a hyzer that will still finish right if you snap correctly and throw it up high enough. And if there is a low ceiling to work with, I actually try throwing a little bit more stable disc, with more anhyzer, so it fights back a bit instead of rolling. For that I would throw an eagle or an orc usually, or even a light, worn destroyer.

I throw a beat up Comet or a River for this shot. Definitely on a hyzer flip line. The thing about the River is that you have to keep the nose down, or it will fade out of the turn, and the thing about the Comet is that you have to have some height to get it to fly.

320' for me is right between fairway and mid territory, so what disc I chose would really depend on the line I needed.

But there are tons of discs that can pull this shot off. It's just about getting a disc that's seasoned in enough not to fade back out of the turn, or a disc that is truly understable out of the box. Then learn to hyzer flip them, one of my favorite shots in the game.

One of my home courses, Bud Hill long #4 576', requires that you turnover a driver in order to make the right side of the fairway through the gap between 250-350'. If you can't make the turnover gap short of the first 350' tree in the middle of the fairway and stay left, it can be a poke and hope line through the row of trees all the way to the basket.

I normally throw a turnover flex with my bio trespass into a headwind. If the wind is left to right I'll throw a seasoned bio renegade that needs some hyzer to land 350-400' turning 50-70' with little to no fade on a 40' apex. If its a tailwind, I can release the bio renegade flatish on a 40-50' anny and it'll turn with with a little fade.

I used to throw Opto Fury high and with some hyzer when it wasn't a headwind and it'd turn right every time usually landing 325-375' with little to no fade until I got comfortable throwing that line and moved up in speed. Of course, I'm going to say for the shot you describe I'm gonna flick one of my D1s especially if you don't have all kinds of room like the hole I've attached.

Attachments

• Bud Hill hole 4.jpg
    Bud Hill hole 4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 29
I use my Champ Stingray for this shot. I throw it on a hyzer flip and it flips flat and goes dead nuts straight and then turns right for a decent amount before coming back ever so slightly. I can also do the same thing with an Avenger SS if I need more than 320'. I just back off it a bit and it tunrs very late in its flight. My DX Zone Driven Ontario Roc is starting to get there when snapped flat with a decent amount of power.

one of the hardest shots in disc golf. I think it is easier to throw a forehand 340 feet with that late fade. Do a nice S curve forehand. I can't throw that shot you want. Not many people can.