• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Late Turnover Driver

I don't think what you're asking for really even exists. If the disc turns, it will turn most when it flies the fastest, which means the beginning part of the flight.

If a flick is not an option, then your best bet is to throw a really US disc with a lot of hyzer so that it just takes long enough time for it to get flat and eventually turn over. Not the easiest shot to control tho. :\

There are a few that can have late turn but I agree with most everything else. One disc that I've seen have very late turn even as it has already started to slow down is the westside sorcerer. This is from a lot of different throwers too. It's kind of weird but it was designed with that flight in mind. It holds pretty stable (straight) at the first 70% of flight then has turn before slightly fading back at the very end.

As for the OP I usually throw a witness with a lot of hyzer or maybe toss a hatchet and hope I get it right.

I use a mamba for that shot. Thrown flat with not much power it will go out about 200ft then start turning. Usually throw it with some power and hyzer flip the disc. I can get some really late turn by adjusting the hyzer angle. You can also keep the mamba low, I have thrown it knee high 300 ft once.

I'd probably consider a roller for this shot. If it were a little shorter, I'd consider a thumber. I only use flicks for upshots... One of these days I'll have the confidence to flick off the tee.

Otherwise, I'd just throw something straight and take the par.

I typically use a Vibram Ibex for this shot. Launches out, then fades right instead of left when the flight is 70% through until it hits the ground if thrown correctly.

I use a FURY for that shot. Thrown flat with not much power it will go out about 200ft then start turning. Usually throw it with some power and hyzer flip the disc. I can get some really late turn by adjusting the hyzer angle. You can also keep the mamba low, I have thrown it knee high 300 ft once.
FTFY:p

Depending on your power and distance needed. A diamond, mamba, or unlace

Chiming in with another vote for Forehand. I think its really the only reliable way to approach a shot like this.

Everything with a backhand just seems so much more touchy when trying to get a flight like this. Although there are some discs that definitely can make it happen... its just so much tougher to get an accurate line.

Forehand flex a nice OS disc if you have the fairway room to let it work side to side.

What do you throw for that 320' hole that turns right very late to a guarded pin? My River turns too easily and too soon, my semi beat star sidewinder takes a little too much time to make it turn on a hole of that length. I have an SS Avenger then I haven't thrown enough to like it yet, but maybe thats my next disc for this shot? Any suggestions?

Something in premium that is beat to crap that you can release near vertical and it takes 150-200 feet to turn over before continuing anny. I have a 164g star TL that probably has 5000 drives on it but as it's already been said, the release is tricky. I'd rather flick if I don't need the distance.

I found that my beat QJLS/JLS maxed out much shorter than my beat TL over time. Less forward momentum?

I haven't thrown a TL so I can't compare. For me the JLS has the latest turn of all my discs and it goes pretty far. When I need more distance I go to a super beat Pro Wraith with a lot of hyzer.

I've used Wraiths too but the sweet spot doesn't seem to last as long as a slower disc and the TL goes almost as far. I'd say maybe 20-30' gain with the Wraith over the TL.

Last edited:
Beat JLS released with hyzer.

I forgot one of my favorite molds, JLS... much better for your line once its beat in than the opto Fury I previously suggested.:thmbup:

Of course in the time it takes to beat in a JLS to that point you could learn to flick a faster disc 300' with a lot more consistency.

Tough shot to execute. It requires a very understable driver hyzer flipped at just the right power and height. I usually pull out a seasoned Sidewinder or Valkyrie. Not a consistent shot, IME...

I believe that late turn happens when the disc has decent amount of speed when the spin runs out. I would use something very understable and hyzerflip it.

Something in premium that is beat to crap that you can release near vertical and it takes 150-200 feet to turn over before continuing anny. I have a 164g star TL that probably has 5000 drives on it but as it's already been said, the release is tricky. I'd rather flick if I don't need the distance.

5000 drives with a disc in a plastic blend that hasn't even been out a year?