• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning experiences.

BIGHAFNER

Eagle Member
I showed up at my home course today, a little 9-hole course, and saw WAY more cars than usual. I got out of my truck and some guys were having a league there today. I jumped in with their doubles tournament. I got paired up with somebody much better than me, so I had a good learning experience.

And we shot a 48.

Any good learning experiences?

I showed up at my home course today, a little 9-hole course, and saw WAY more cars than usual. I got out of my truck and some guys were having a league there today. I jumped in with their doubles tournament. I got paired up with somebody much better than me, so I had a good learning experience.

And we shot a 48.

Any good learning experiences?

What did you learn?

Pretty much anytime you play with better people, you will learn something. My first league doubles I learned a backhand roller, not to mention 2 or 3 diferent possible lines on holes that i never would have even thought about.

Just today I played with the 1974 champ and his 1004 rated son and learned a few different lines on my home course and a landing zone for a skip shot on my worst hole.

If you haven't played with any local pros or at least someone a step up from you in talent, you really should. It will always help.

I learned that, first of all, I'm a little better than I thought, but that there are always lines that you don't see. There was a guy today that almost parked a hole that I'm happy to 3 on any day, with a putter. I just never even noticed all of these lines these guys were throwing.

I've learned that finishing a 5th of Jagermeister, even with the help of my card and the card in front of us, will have serious detrimental effects on my ability to cash in a tournament.

*yes, I know drinking is illegal in PDGA sanctioned events, even glow X-tiers*
*the bottle was a gift from the club for winning the Sportsman of the Year award, as such it is SUPPOSED to be passed around the first round. The TD wouldn't have turned me in anyway*

I learned that playing a championship-caliber course for the first time, it isn't any harder if you eat a bunch of mushrooms, it's just more fun.
I also learned that when you play glow rounds after midnight, you need to look out for dudes sleeping on the course.

Today I learned that you should keep a roll of toilet paper in your trunk in case you end up on a course that doesn't have any facilities available or close by, and a situation arises.
I also learned that it can be a long walk to find a spot in the woods that isn't anywhere near the actual course or pedestrians.

I've learned that finishing a 5th of Jagermeister, even with the help of my card and the card in front of us, will have serious detrimental effects on my ability to cash in a tournament.

*the bottle was a gift from the club for winning the Sportsman of the Year award, as such it is SUPPOSED to be passed around the first round. The TD wouldn't have turned me in anyway*

:thmbup: awesome!

Today I learned that you should keep a roll of toilet paper in your trunk in case you end up on a course that doesn't have any facilities available or close by, and a situation arises.
I also learned that it can be a long walk to find a spot in the woods that isn't anywhere near the actual course or pedestrians.

2 pair of socks ftw

Two things I learned a while ago.

1. Hyzer flip is totally worth it.

2. Mescaline makes the game much more fun as long as the UFO's don't get you.

You've already got a leg up on the 2012 award...

Last time, I didn't so much learn anything as I had to step up my game and actually THINK about the shots I was taking. Improved my game a lot by taking the time to think -- usually, I play solo rounds and it takes less time, but I don't think about each shot as much.

I echo the statements to play with your local league or players better than you. I picked up on a lot.

Recently an older pro walked with our group and really helped point out lines and how to deal with wind. We were playing on a very open, windy course. Helped a bunch during that round.

He also pointed out how important a routine is on the teepad (or before any shot). He advised how to step up to the teepad with the disc, gauge the wind on the teepad and around the entire hole (drops in elevation, trees blocking the wind, etc).

Playing with others has also taught me two other things:
1. Ignore the guy having a bad round. Focus on yours. There are a few guys who get pretty into it when they have a bad shot right before mine. Have to just ignore it and keep your train of thought on what you were going to do in the first place.

2. I love seeing just how smooth some releases are. Really watch others as they throw and things come out without OAT, on the right line and head high. Most times, it looks like they aren't really trying and they park it. I go up to the tee and try and be nice and smooth and more times than not, it does exactly what you want it to do.

Smooth is long.