• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legacy Ghosts, what do you think of them ?

My ghosts got a HEAVY workout today. They are so nice. Can't wait until one beats in to lose some LSS

I've still got my broken in Ranchos in the bag for now. If the Excel Ghosts take as long to beat in as good Ranchos it will take some time to rotate the Rocs out. I haven't seen any flat Ghosts but I figure they would be less stable.

The excels start out less overstable than a rancho. Mine started out like a sanny/Ontario hybrid

dgdave said:
The excels start out less overstable than a rancho. Mine started out like a sanny/Ontario hybrid

Dave is right on with this, I shouldn't be commenting on new Ranchos because I have always bought up all the preseasoned Ranchos I could find. The newest Ranchos I would carry were lightly seasoned. I'm really liking the Excel Ghosts but I will probably throw in a premium plastic Ghost for more hss and more fade.

FYI: Some people have done some boiling water dome flattening of Icon Ghosts, and report that they fly exactly like the Roc3 afterwards...

keltik said:
how does a Ghost fly exactly?

They're not really sure if a ghost flies by gliding upon the luminous aether or via ectoplasmal jets, so its a bit of a mystery.

I have a 177g icon. At first I hated the disc. It kept flipping over when I threw it flat, and hyzered out really quick when I threw it on even a slight hyzer line.

Recently, I've been working on my technique though (I was having trouble throwing any putter but the zone. Apparently I was rolling my wrist a little). I dug it out again a while ago though and gave it another shot. It flies nice and straight, with a good amount of glide and a moderate fade at the end. Less OS than my 177 TI Wasp, and slightly more overstable than my 178g Z Buzzz. It's slower than both. Probably about the same speed as a Roc. I got a Vector in the mail at the same time as the Ghost, so unfortunately it didn't make my bag. In fact the Vector kicked out the Wasp too...but the Ghost seems like a solid choice. As long as you have good tequnique and no issues with the dreaded OAT.

Infinite Discs is having a blowout sale on Icon Ghosts due to an "ordering issue." I am wondering if Legacy has an improved run coming out. Regardless, I might pick one up while they are on sale. Should I get 169 yellow or 173 purple?

I have been souring on the recently. I have no grip during the winter. Cold and wet is not a good combination for me either has my fingers get irritated throwing in general, and the Ghost seems to cause more irritation that any other disc in my bag. At this point I lose all control when powering them up.

During warmer and or dryer days, the Ghost was nothing short of phenomenal.

However, I have been finding better grip in Roc3s and M3s and less overall irritation in our less than stellar conditions recently (as it seems nice weather will never find Minnesota). I really do not like to have seasonal discs as that is one more thing I need to work on when the weather changes.

dgdave said:
Yellows are sweet. Never tossed a purple

Lately my OS mid slot rotates between a Wasp and Purple Icon Ghost. The Purple is actually a touch more OS than the white FR Ghosts I was initially throwing (my wife continues to throw one), and a tad more domey.

Druid said:
I have a 177g icon. At first I hated the disc. It kept flipping over when I threw it flat, and hyzered out really quick when I threw it on even a slight hyzer line...As long as you have good tequnique and no issues with the dreaded OAT.

The same is true of all Roc-like molds, including the Roc, Roc3, Aftershock, Flying Squirrel, Ghost...you name it. There is simply something about this kind of configuration that makes the disc sensitive to the wobblies. But people who don't have these problems tend to throw them very well and like them a lot.

For me, any beaded mids/putters require delicate placement of my index finger across the bead. Too tight or deep and the bead tends to catch across the seem of my finger causing OAT.

Jhern, what made you drop your Roc3 in favor of the Ghost? More glide?

Smarkquart compared the Ghost to a stiff San Marino Roc which is what I have in my bag now. Kind of sounds like the Ghost would be similar but with more stability at higher speeds.

JHern said:
dgdave said:
Yellows are sweet. Never tossed a purple

Lately my OS mid slot rotates between a Wasp and Purple Icon Ghost. The Purple is actually a touch more OS than the white FR Ghosts I was initially throwing (my wife continues to throw one), and a tad more domey.

Druid said:
I have a 177g icon. At first I hated the disc. It kept flipping over when I threw it flat, and hyzered out really quick when I threw it on even a slight hyzer line...As long as you have good tequnique and no issues with the dreaded OAT.

The same is true of all Roc-like molds, including the Roc, Roc3, Aftershock, Flying Squirrel, Ghost...you name it. There is simply something about this kind of configuration that makes the disc sensitive to the wobblies. But people who don't have these problems tend to throw them very well and like them a lot.

I totally agree with that as far as most Rocs are concerned. I had a star rancho a while ago and it tended to wobble easily. Especially into any kind if headwind. I currently carry two Roc3s though, and they've flown perfectly for me every time. I think it's because they're dead flat on top. Like the wasp. The Ghost was a little domey, like the rancho I had.

If they start making the Ghost with a flat top, let me know. I'd love to get one. :)

Latest posts