• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake, Crown Point, IN

Going to be in the area at the end of the month, I see that the Red Course( it is actually my favorite on the property ) is closed. Anyone know why?
I have not played the white with the changes, but have played the blue.
Any info would be appreciated....

EAB got it

Yep, Red course lost a LOT of trees due to the EAB. They're in the process of cutting down hundreds of dead trees (started in April). Many holes lost so many trees that they had to be redesigned. When the Red course opens again it will be different.

I was there for three days and saw maybe another half dozen players......

I started on the blue course. I knew about the new holes 8-10 by the dog park, but when I was on hole 13, I couldn't figure out why there was a basket (didn't look at number) in the middle of the fairway. After finishing 15, saw that the path was over grown going to the final wooded 3 holes. I wandered around a bit only to discover the 18 basket was now where red 1 was.....and that basket 16 was where red 18 was.......no info with any other changes was posted near the course.

Before heading to the silver course, went to see if anyone was at the "pro" shop...doors were closed, never got close to building. Silver was as I remembered it.

Next day I went back to challenge white and gold.....doors to "pro" shop were still closed.
Played the white course, changes were okay but with all that land north of the 13-14, some very missed opportunities. After finishing with a tight back (slipped a little on dirt pads #15) I actually went to the door of the "pro" shop and actually found that it was still closed. The info on the bulletin board showed the current blue course changes (why not have info at the course start). Didn't play gold because of tight back.

Came back the third day to tackle gold (back had finally loosened up). "pro" shop still closed.........Played gold, I think that is the only course I have played and missed all chances at getting a two on any hole. I did get a five on the long 8 though. Was feeling good, so went back to throw white again ("pro" shop was still closed). Glad I did, got an ace on hole 6 (tangent up the gut), caught up to a couple locals who let me play through while they looked for a disc on hole nine. I proceeded to bury my drive near where they were looking for missing disc, I found their missing disc and they found my bad drive. When they announced that they found my drive, I was puzzled because I found a disc similar to mine and when I turned around to respond to them, I found another disc. They gave me mine and I gave them the two I found ( I never even looked to see if they were marked). I played through and finished the round and the "pro" shop was still closed.

Side note.....only paid one day to enter the park. I did see the grass was being cut one day at the dog park and another day the grass was being cut at the 4 ball fields (the ones with rusted backstops and over grown infields and outfield fence posts being removed).

Understaffed park?????and "pro" shop?????

I was there for three days and saw maybe another half dozen players......

I started on the blue course. I knew about the new holes 8-10 by the dog park, but when I was on hole 13, I couldn't figure out why there was a basket (didn't look at number) in the middle of the fairway. After finishing 15, saw that the path was over grown going to the final wooded 3 holes. I wandered around a bit only to discover the 18 basket was now where red 1 was.....and that basket 16 was where red 18 was.......no info with any other changes was posted near the course.

Before heading to the silver course, went to see if anyone was at the "pro" shop...doors were closed, never got close to building. Silver was as I remembered it.

Next day I went back to challenge white and gold.....doors to "pro" shop were still closed.
Played the white course, changes were okay but with all that land north of the 13-14, some very missed opportunities. After finishing with a tight back (slipped a little on dirt pads #15) I actually went to the door of the "pro" shop and actually found that it was still closed. The info on the bulletin board showed the current blue course changes (why not have info at the course start). Didn't play gold because of tight back.

Came back the third day to tackle gold (back had finally loosened up). "pro" shop still closed.........Played gold, I think that is the only course I have played and missed all chances at getting a two on any hole. I did get a five on the long 8 though. Was feeling good, so went back to throw white again ("pro" shop was still closed). Glad I did, got an ace on hole 6 (tangent up the gut), caught up to a couple locals who let me play through while they looked for a disc on hole nine. I proceeded to bury my drive near where they were looking for missing disc, I found their missing disc and they found my bad drive. When they announced that they found my drive, I was puzzled because I found a disc similar to mine and when I turned around to respond to them, I found another disc. They gave me mine and I gave them the two I found ( I never even looked to see if they were marked). I played through and finished the round and the "pro" shop was still closed.

Side note.....only paid one day to enter the park. I did see the grass was being cut one day at the dog park and another day the grass was being cut at the 4 ball fields (the ones with rusted backstops and over grown infields and outfield fence posts being removed).

Understaffed park?????and "pro" shop?????

That is brutal! I've had similar experiences with the pro shop. What time did you enter the park at? This course/ "pro shop" needs to be turned back over to the original/local club.

That is brutal! I've had similar experiences with the pro shop. What time did you enter the park at? This course/ "pro shop" needs to be turned back over to the original/local club.

All three days were at about 10am.......

turn the courses over to the original/local club??? I am not sure they would be interested anymore.......bridges burned and all.

"pro"shop......last time I was in there I think the PDGA had stuff displayed from HOF in it. It might be Indiana HOF as well.....

Shame no one can see it.....

except for the video surveillance on site.......

Innova63 - was the trip worth it?

My friends and I are planning a trip up there at the end of the month and its hard to skip 1 location with so many courses

Mtrcty5 and myself are heading there today. We will be hitting all the course in the next three days. I will post our findings.

I stopped in there several months ago and posted a rather irritated rant on their FB page which was quickly deleted. The FB page clearly stated they were "open" which to me means I can go to the store and shop. Welp, after driving 40+ miles out of my way on my trip I found the pro shop to be locked up. After which I left (didn't have time to get a round in unfortunately) and when I was about 20 miles down the road I finally got a response which went along the lines of, if I would just call the phone number on the sign there they could come and unlock the pro shop for me within about 10 minutes because they live just down the road.

Well too bad. I was gone and so was my money. There are signs no doubt on the side of the building but there are A LOT of signs and guess I missed the one about calling to get the shop open. Pretty piss poor way to run a business IMHO.

-Dave

.....is this placed co-owned by John Jokinen??? /s
Ha!
It's sad when a what could/should be a wonderful venue is mis-managed and/or run by idjits. :(

When I made it out to LL back in 2010 (pre Pro Shop), I thought the place was wonderful. Sounds like things headed in the wrong direction after the last World's that was held there (2014?), likely due to egos and relationships.

Last edited:
...and when I was about 20 miles down the road I finally got a response which went along the lines of, if I would just call the phone number on the sign there they could come and unlock the pro shop for me within about 10 minutes because they live just down the road....

Unacceptable. Sounds like that's another complex to visit sooner than later before it withers away to garbage.

If running the pro shop is more hassle than it's worth (sounds like it is), maybe they'd be better off having a clearance sale, and blowing out the merch at close to break even cost, and simply focus on maintaining the courses as part of "normal" park operations.

I'm far less concerned about places to buy equipment than I am about courses, particularly superior multi-course facilities with courses that play so distinctly different from each other. I'd hate to see this collection of courses get "run into the ground," so to speak.

That said, I'm probably over-simplifying things... I'm not close to the situation here in any way.

Last edited:
Ha!
It's sad when a what could/should be a wonderful venue is mis-managed and/or run by idjits. :(

When I made it out to LL back in 2010 (pre Pro Shop), I thought the place was wonderful. Sounds like things headed in the wrong direction after the last World's that was held there (2014?), likely due to egos and relationships.

I donno...I played in one of their tourneys there a year or so after the 2013 worlds and thought it was pretty ok - not great but not horrible either. I always thought the pro shop was well stocked and prices weren't great but reasonable. So from what I've experienced they do know how to run things. Just seems the motivation is gone lately.

Plus, I'm not convinced that it's *that* bad because the PDGA did select Lemon Lakes for the 2018 Masters championship. I know the EAB is royally screwing up some of the dg out there but they have a year to get it together. LL is close enough to me that it may warrant a roady out there for the masters to see how it goes...we'll see.

Had I written reviews for LL, I'd have rated them as follows:
Silver: 4.5
Red: 4.0
Blue: 3.5
White: 3.0

I suppose some people may disagree with me right there, but the way I see it, any place with two courses at 4.0 or better is a wonderful place for DG. I don't necessarily think it makes sense to average the ratings for multicourse facilities.

Not to thread drift (more to explain what I mean), but...

If Selah, decides to add a course that ultimately ends up with a rating of 3.5 - 4.0 rated course (i.e. very good to excellent), how does that make it "less of a destination?" The lesser rated course doesn't make Lakeside or Creekside any worse.

Having courses on site that are less than stellar rated doesn't make the better rated courses there "less destination worthy."
Click here if you'd like to read or post on the topic of "Rating Destinations."

Hmm. I'm in Chicago this July and LL was near the top of my list of day trip destinations. I don't expect it to blow my mind, but it seemed like a solid spot to bag four courses. Wondering if I should reshuffle my priorities. Looking forward to hearing the recent experiences of others!

Innova63 - was the trip worth it?

My friends and I are planning a trip up there at the end of the month and its hard to skip 1 location with so many courses

For the golf......yes, it is worth the trip in my opinion.

The courses are fine, tee-pads are showing their age.
Pro-shop, if it is by appointment only is okay I guess.

That is a shame about the other stuff there (Indiana HOF and stuff from the PDGA) should be more readily available to view (WI HOF @ Sandy Point, although I haven't been there in many years). I am no longer a member of the PDGA, but they should be informed IF there is still PDGA stuff kept at LL.

Hmm. I'm in Chicago this July and LL was near the top of my list of day trip destinations. I don't expect it to blow my mind, but it seemed like a solid spot to bag four courses. Wondering if I should reshuffle my priorities. Looking forward to hearing the recent experiences of others!

If you are staying in Chicago, your disc golf priorities should go something like this:

1) Joliet area - The Canyons and Highland Park are an awesome combo. Plenty of other solid courses nearby.

2) Fairfield (Squaw Creek) in Round Lake - 2 Chuck Kennedy designed courses overlaid on top of one another. Gold and White.

3) Lemon Lake - 4 courses in one park. White is the easiest with many short, tightly wooded holes. Red is/was my favorite. Wooded/open, uphill/downhill/flat, long/short. There is/was a good variety of throws here. Apparently the emerald ash borer has redesigned this course since I last played. Blue and Silver/Gold are intended for more skilled players. I find Blue to be too open. Distance and playing the wind are the main challenges. Silver/Gold is challenging/frustrating for most.

4) Day Trip - Sinissippi, Quad Cities, Grey/Red/Silver Fox, etc.

5) Tier 2 Area Courses - There are now plenty of solid 18 hole courses in the Chicago suburbs other than those mentioned above. Hinsdale, Oswego, West Chicago, Streamwood, Palatine, Evergreen Park, Summit and Tinley Park contain more variety than you would think this area has to offer.

6) Nasty Niners - The suburbs are loaded with poorly designed nine hole courses. Maintenance and equipment vary, but disregard for safety is a constant. Many courses have been shoehorned into parks that don't have enough land to keep disc golf separate from other activities.

This list is basically ordered by fun/hour. The Joliet area is great, but it's also #1 due to not being as far from the city/near suburbs as some of the other options. If you are staying in the loop, really good courses will be a long car ride away.

Got out to LL on Sunday, July 2. Pro shop was open until 3. Indiana HOF kind of stuffed into a corner with junk in the way. Disc selection was less than pathetic. Guy running the shop was friendly and helpful enough. Played Silver and the course was terrific. Played Rogers Lakewood the following day.....what a beat down. Fantastic course. Both places are great parks with a ton of land and things to do. Heading out today to hit White and Blue..........

This complex is well worth the trip. Like Bogey, I could care less about a pro shop, i just want to get outside and throw some plastic on a challenging, beautiful course.

Got out to LL on Sunday, July 2. Pro shop was open until 3. Indiana HOF kind of stuffed into a corner with junk in the way. Disc selection was less than pathetic. Guy running the shop was friendly and helpful enough. Played Silver and the course was terrific. Played Rogers Lakewood the following day.....what a beat down. Fantastic course. Both places are great parks with a ton of land and things to do. Heading out today to hit White and Blue..........

This complex is well worth the trip. Like Bogey, I could care less about a pro shop, i just want to get outside and throw some plastic on a challenging, beautiful course.

Sunce starting this thread, the trip came and went and I made the executive decision to not play Lemon Lake, due to time constraints mainly, not due to courses.

I liked Rogers a lot, although I did lose a total of 5 discs with two people, that did not detract from my rating. Fantastic course. Glad you got the chance to play it.

Next time I get out that way, Lemon Lake will be a priority, not because the courses are superior to others, but the history more or less.