• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Letting Go

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
Disclaimer: I have OCD, so naturally my tendencies will lean towards the "extreme", but anyway...

How do you deal with throwing your discs instead of collecting/preserving them? Even if I buy a disc with the mindset that it'll be a "thrower", I seem to eventually attach some sort of value and collectibility to it, making me reluctant to throw it. Consequently, this leaves me with...

A: More discs than I need
B: Less cash in my wallet
C: A bag full of crappy discs that I DO throw, instead of the really nice ones in my closet

How do you justify throwing a prized ace disc, or something rare and expensive? What about a regular disc that is beat-in just right - how can you bring yourself to throw it, knowing that you may lose it or it might get beat past the sweet spot and never be the same again?

I realize this is more about my own irrational motives for hoarding discs, but I feel like if I hear how some people justify actually using their discs, it'll help me get past my compulsions, even if it's just a bit.

I justify it easily.

Unless it's an 01 Roc I'm not gonna make any real money selling it.

I have this problem too. Sort of. I love new plastic and I start to lose respect for my older, worn in, trusty discs.

Just throw them. A couple months ago i got my first ace with a DX teebird and immediately lost it in a pond a week later. Then not another month later i saw it at PIAS for $5 and just left it as i am no longer throwing teebirds and don't have the want to collect discs. Also if any of the discs i have ever reach a market price of over $25 or so, you can guarantee I will offload and pick a replacement.

3 stages...

- wall plastic
- throw plastic
- bag plastic

wall plastic stays minty fresh, safety measures taken as needed, etc.

throw plastic can go to the field, get inked, be part of a backup or practice group, do upside-down utility tasks, etc.

bag plastic gets treated like hell, cuz it should not be a precious thing when you're looking at a shot. some bag plastic is nice enough that you reserve it for better courses or fun-crazy rounds. some bag plastic is nasty enough that it goes to shady/watery courses. depends on quality and your backup stock.

Leopard said:
3 stages...

- wall plastic
- throw plastic
- bag plastic

wall plastic stays minty fresh, safety measures taken as needed, etc.

throw plastic can go to the field, get inked, be part of a backup or practice group, do upside-down utility tasks, etc.

bag plastic gets treated like hell, cuz it should not be a precious thing when you're looking at a shot. some bag plastic is nice enough that you reserve it for better courses or fun-crazy rounds. some bag plastic is nasty enough that it goes to shady/watery courses. depends on quality and your backup stock.

^this

except I got away from wall plastic. I have like maybe 10 discs that are "wall worthy" and they are in a box in a closet. Everything I buy is backups and usually they are used. I rarely buy brand new discs unless it is a putter or mid. I also buy a lot of used discs, just ask mr leopard. I buy to throw, because it got pretty hard and inefficient to buy a disc with the purpose of reselling online. You just gotta hope DGR is in a hot mess over that disc when you buy it(see SB Orc, C-PD, etc...)

My issue is that when I decide that a disc might fill a slot in my bag, or just be more versatile and replace something else, I buy 5. Right off the bat. I've never thrown one before, and now I have 5. Just like how right now I have a stack of Flows that I don't really like.

Usually these little stock ups just keep piling up, and I never get rid of anything. I'm also slightly paranoid about retiring a disc too early. My first Opto Fuse is just starting to get a little bit more flippy than I'd like, so I brought out a fresh one, but I don't want to retire the old one, cause it has been such a trusty friend, and its still mostly fine. So my bag also collects more discs than I need.

I know its a little different than what you were saying, but these are my own demons.

:) I'm an abnormal collector too. Got hundreds of wall discs that comprise my stamp collection, but I have very few "wall-hangers".

Throwers however, like ZJ I hoard hard. I buy relatively little trade bait, but buy up lots of my personal throwers.

It's freeing to throw expensive plastic. Kind of helps you know that you aren't too obsessed with this whole disc collecting thing and that you are in it for the fun/competition of the sport. Once they get a little scuffed up it's much easier to let them go. And once you throw one expensive disc, it's pretty easy to throw another one.

I was hesitant to throw my '02 CE Roc at first, and even the CE Firebird I bought from Eli a couple weeks ago. I scored 4 drop in birdies in my first round with the Roc, and my only 3 birdies on an extremely windy day with my first time out with the Firebird. Now I couldn't stop throwing them even if I wanted.

It's still OK to have some limits. I won't throw CE into rocks, around water, or on really cold days. I'm also pretty particular about my putter, I don't use it for approaches.

Mad Scientist said:
Disclaimer: I have OCD, so naturally my tendencies will lean towards the "extreme", but anyway...

How do you deal with throwing your discs instead of collecting/preserving them? Even if I buy a disc with the mindset that it'll be a "thrower", I seem to eventually attach some sort of value and collectibility to it, making me reluctant to throw it. Consequently, this leaves me with...

A: More discs than I need
B: Less cash in my wallet
C: A bag full of crappy discs that I DO throw, instead of the really nice ones in my closet

How do you justify throwing a prized ace disc, or something rare and expensive? What about a regular disc that is beat-in just right - how can you bring yourself to throw it, knowing that you may lose it or it might get beat past the sweet spot and never be the same again?

I realize this is more about my own irrational motives for hoarding discs, but I feel like if I hear how some people justify actually using their discs, it'll help me get past my compulsions, even if it's just a bit.

Mad Scientist,

What! Are you mad?

The highest purpose of a disc is to throw it and throw it so well it brings you honor and glory and pride. That ain't gonna happen for any disc sitting in a box.

If you bought a new car, would you drive it? If you bought a new pair of shoes would you wear them? If you bought a new mail-order-bride would you...

A good disc has intrinsic value. It can fly well and true. That is why I have always collected discs which I want to throw, not just something which the market may view as valuable. So Frisbee Pie Tins and Pluto Platters are not in my collection because any random, dog-chewed putter pulled out of the bottom of a scuzzy pond will fly better than they do.

Once you acquire a really fine disc then you have the delicious prospect of deciding when it gets pulled out and tested to see if it is worthy of going in the tournament bag. Because a truly good disc is not just one which looks good and feels good, it must also fly well in your hands. It must prove itself in battle and excel under pressure. If it does all of that AND looks cool as heck then it has the WOW FACTOR!! Every disc in my tournament bag has the WOW FACTOR and keeps the WOW FACTOR or it doesn't stay in the bag.

So Mad Scientist, your WOW FACTOR discs (or at least potential wow factor discs, since you have not tested them) are sitting in a box. Gathering dust. Gathering dust on the chance that some day in the future you might decide to sell it someone else so they can put it in a box. And what kind of profit margin margin might you expect? Let's be generous and guess you can double your investment on discs (obviously some will become more valuable while others will lose value and across-the-board doubling of your investments is a real generous estimate, you might be lucky just to break even). So what have you made so far? Probably not much.

If you want to invest in something go buy stocks and bonds and securities. You won't have any temptation to fold those stock certificates into paper airplanes and let them fly. If you pick well they will appreciate nicely. And you won't be throwing substandard plastic because of them.

So go to your bag and tell every disc to get ready because you will be holding try outs for the starting lineup. Then go to your boxes and pull out a handful of prime discs for each slot in your bag and tell them about the try outs. Then go to the field and conduct try outs. Be open minded and fair. Let the best disc win. I'm betting you will be more confident in the new bag and feel better each time pull one out for a shot in competition. Since you will have tested many discs in the process make a 2nd and a 3rd string and start breaking them in and using them for risk discs and field practice.

If you are horrified at the prospect of doing this, ask yourself: how many dollars in discs have you just started using? A couple hundred bucks?? Right, a couple hundred bucks of discs which you are now investing in your game. You bought them to play with. You are now getting value out of them. Sitting in a box they will never create a good shot. In your bag and back up bags they can make hundreds of good shots for many years to come. And in real world dollars it cost you less than a weekend at a ball golf resort.

BTW, never retire an ACE disc or one which is perfectly broken in unless it fails to continue to perform. Rather than preserving discs, continually challenge them to perform, just like you do for yourself. Don't be foolish about risking prized discs in highly dangerous situations, that is why you have risk discs.

If you had a brand new Beemer sitting in the garage would you drive a beater with no muffler, a bumper held on with coat hangers and MayPops? Would you leave your mail-order bride in some foreign land until she hit old age?

In light of what Mark said, I think I just have a different issue. Not so much not throwing new plastic, but just acquiring way more than I'll ever need. Buying several of discs I'm not sure I'm really going to love.

That, and the phobia I have of retiring discs.

I have the urge to buy as many backup discs of the ones i like as i can get my hands on. I also have a problem with retiring discs.

These two combined lead to this : i played for a year, i have 10 discs in my bag, 10 backup discs in my trunk, and 50 more backup discs at home. I will probably take a decade to burn trough these, yet i keep buying more and more. I use what i have though, the only disc hanging on the wall is a ultimate disc from 1996 which was just amazingly designed.

Indeed - words of wisdom right there. Thanks Mr. Ellis, and everyone who has told me what I already knew but just couldn't accept. I'm going to try and get out there, throw these discs, and really appreciate them to their fullest. Because who cares how cool a disc is if it's sitting in the closet?

Mad Scientist said:
Indeed - words of wisdom right there. Thanks Mr. Ellis, and everyone who has told me what I already knew but just couldn't accept. I'm going to try and get out there, throw these discs, and really appreciate them to their fullest. Because who cares how cool a disc is if it's sitting in the closet?

Let us know how it works. Imagine that any disc in your collection will be thrown away, discarded, if you don't test it in a open field (which really won't do anything more than smudge it anyway). So now you have nothing to lose. Test the good stuff and put into circulation anything which deserves to be played with. Clean off and put away anything which is not worthy in the most important regard-how it flies in your hands.

If you do it tomorrow you won't back out.

Discs are tools. If you break or lose a hammer will you not be able to pound nails? No, you'll go get another hammer.
Love the game not the plastic. They make thousands of discs a day, there will always be more. NO CE disc is worth what people pay for them.

All that being said, not all discs are made equal. Finding choice a disc is a prize, but only because they FLY well.