• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

I don't think I'd classify the condor as a lid, it definitely has a beveled edge and a flight more similar to traditional golf discs rather than lids.

The operative word is 150 class. Lids fly most like lids the lighter they are. Saying a lid should be beefier is like saying Comets need to be beefier, just ain't right Moe. Go throw a Birdie if you wanta lid that flies like a turd.

I never said it had to be a turd. The Lock Jaw surely isn't. I want something different, and something that's going get some chatter going. Neutral's been done and people don't care. Bring what's missing (the Piranha)!

Throw a Lock Jaw before you dismiss an overstable option as being a turd.

Last edited:
Double post: what is this gateway lid? Do they sell salient discs at pias?

Rattler has a rounded inner rim, so does the bite. God I love lids.

I don't think I'd classify the condor as a lid, it definitely has a beveled edge and a flight more similar to traditional golf discs rather than lids.

True.

But doesn't change the fact that it's what I want.

How about just a sub-9" diameter, shallow-ish polecat-esque lid with the tiniest bit more HSS and LSF molded in nice stiff KCish plastic available in weights from 155 to 175?

Call it the Snapper or the Copy-Kitten or whatever? Give it a super badass stamp. I don't care about the name or the stamp. But I know what I want in a fossil lid. Can't we all get together behind that?

How about just a sub-9" diameter, shallow-ish polecat-esque lid with the tiniest bit more HSS and LSF molded in nice stiff KCish plastic available in weights from 155 to 175?

Call it the Snapper or the Copy-Kitten or whatever? Give it a super badass stamp. I don't care about the name or the stamp. But I know what I want in a fossil lid. Can't we all get together behind that?

Yes.

yeah id say a condor is like a big roc
Give the man a cigar. Not a lid according to my definition. Still a cool disc. Not sure I'd make one if I was a small start-up DG company though. Part of the popularity of lids is they make really good kids' discs. 200g Condors, not so much.

As long as it's flat. KC plastic sounds nice, I can get behind that. X Putt'R's were pretty cool except for being so goofy shaped (absolutely sucked in Z Putt'R). I think the niche that's missing most is a neutral, glidey mid in premium plastic though, there's your game-changer. Lids are great in the woods but DX over time, is not. But a good, durable KC/Pro style plastic would be a nice consolation prize and I'd throw some money down on one, for sure.
I never said it had to be a turd. The Lock Jaw surely isn't. I want something different, and something that's going get some chatter going. Neutral's been done and people don't care. Bring what's missing (the Piranha)!

Throw a Lock Jaw before you dismiss an overstable option as being a turd.
Neutral (or practically lid) hasn't really been done right in forever. Those F2 Champ Polecats would have been really good if they were molded lighter, that plastic is too dense or something to translate true lid properties in conventional golf weights. They still make Birdies, Sonics, and Polecats. They don't make Piranhas anymore, can't remember why. Whether the mold screwed up or they didn't sell well, there's probably a reason why they're missing. :|

They still make Birdies, Sonics, and Polecats because they're good beginner discs.

I think it's time to stop doing the same thing and make a big boy lid. :|

Big boy lid is an oxymoron. That's like saying, Citroen 2CV race car. You're just kidding yourself.

1975_Citroen_2CV_Race_Car_For_Sale_UK_resize.jpg

I've thrown Piranhas, and while it's cool to have a lid that you can throw into a headwind that won't flip I almost never used them in actual golf situations. There was always a big bead Aviar or Wizard in my bag for that shot; I never really needed the Piranha.

A lids bread and butter is that floaty approach shot. If I was going to make a lid, I'd want it to fly like, you know...a lid. :| I've been throwing Lightning Upshots for the last few years. They are flippy and can't take much wind, but they execute the shots I want to use a lid for very well. They are slightly larger diameter so they have just a little more float to them. I go back and forth between those and Sonics, which also are slightly larger in diameter but are very flippy/touchy. When I'm throwing well, Sonics are very nice to have in the bag. When I'm throwing badly, I can't do anything but turn and burn the damned things.

Two. Different. Lids.
I'd love one of each. Or four of each. A matched pair of OS and neutral driving lids? What an age that would be.

Two. Different. Lids.
I'd love one of each. Or four of each. A matched pair of OS and neutral driving lids? What an age that would be.

Especially if they fit tidily one inside the other. Lid only rounds, with comfy one handed carrying. Larger diameter OS lid for driving. Slightly smaller diameter neutral mid for touch drives, approach and putting. Or a nice tidy package taking up one slot in your bag.
That's my dream for tonight. Sweet dreams indeed.