• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

dgdave

* Ace Member *
http://innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

Is there anyway to make this Sticky? There are lots of grip questions and this has a TON on answers.

Good link.

I think the fork grip that he uses is not entirely how Climo has describe it. If you look at the youtube video of Climo and how he describes the fork grip you'll see that he has the ring finger and middle finger on top of the pinky (middle finger is not necessarily a must). In this article, Dave shows the fork grip (at least the way that I see it) as a grip that is more "in-line" with the other fingers than having them stacked over the pinky.

If I'm wrong about that then correct me.

For a good description on the spilt power and fork grip look for the ventura tourney on youtube. Dave Feldberg shows how to do this grip in the middle of the video.

Regardless, that link is invaluable and must see for everybody who has questions about grip.

dgdave, I read the whole grip article but still had questions it dosen't really talk about the plusses and minusses of different grips as all the instruction at the top (still very insightful) was done with one grip.

Rad,

I hope you don't think I posted this due to your grip question. I just post this link a lot because it shows a lot of different options. I just thought about it when I saw your question. I had lots of grip questions earlier this year.

I think a Pros/Cons section would also be very helpful.

radsnowsurfer said:
dgdave, I read the whole grip article but still had questions it dosen't really talk about the plusses and minusses of different grips as all the instruction at the top (still very insightful) was done with one grip.

From my experience, the different grips don' t have any universal pluses or minuses. They're just different methods for gripping the disc. Each is extremely subjective to the thrower.

I've some folks say that the bonopane helps with keeping the nose down, I throw birdie to prevent injury, people throw fan for control, etc. But it really is subject to your own discoveries. You'll read and hear that a 4 finger power grip yields the best distance, but when somebody is throwing over 350' or over 400' with another grip, you have to wonder exactly what "best" distance is...

dgdave said:

Is there anyway to make this Sticky? There are lots of grip questions and this has a TON on answers.

Done! :)

Fritz said:
dgdave said:

Don't forget about the link at the very top of every page of this forum. :roll:

Lots of other helpful stuff there too. :wink:

Anakha said:
Fritz said:
dgdave said:

Don't forget about the link at the very top of every page of this forum. :roll:

Lots of other helpful stuff there too. :wink:

Thanks Fritz!!!

Anakha, So true. I forget about the articles on the main page a lot.

IF YOU'RE NEW, READ THE MAIN PAGE ARTICLES FIRST. THEY ARE VERY, VERY VALUABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, no matter how much you KNOW you have your grip right, if you re-read something years later about fundamentals with a wider range of knowledge and understanding of concepts/terminology, you may find something very important that you missed.
When I first read the article on grip on the DGR site years ago, I somehow misunderstood it and have been creating my main rip point by squeezing "like a mofo" between my index finger and thumb. I read the Feldberg grip article, saw that it said pull into the palm, and said nothing about thumb pressure, and was curious...then reread the DGR article, and realized I've been doing it wrong all along.
I wonder how much this has hurt my throws? Can't wait until the freezing rain stops so I can try my new rip point inwards between index and seam of palm, as opposed to upwards between my thumb and index finger.

Realized the other day how important 'thumb forward' is, and also how much more forward thumb forward actually is than feels natural/normal. But once I got it, getting the disc nose down wasn't a problem anymore.

Claytoon said:
Realized the other day how important 'thumb forward' is, and also how much more forward thumb forward actually is than feels natural/normal. But once I got it, getting the disc nose down wasn't a problem anymore.

I find that putting my thumb tip on the disc instead of the entire thumb pad also helps force the nose down. I still have nose up issues, but the thumb tip helps minimize them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MAROROGUNSO#p/a/u/2/-1qAABEAyu8 and the two next parts show differences like some DVDs. The thumb print ain't always on the flight plate. Sometimes the transition area from thumb tip to the finger print is the part touching the disc. Interesting that he has differences. Maybe he's changed the grip or he varies it according to different grip conditions like temperature, humidity and the wear and slickness of the plastic of the disc.

These are great links and I really enjoy the visuals because it limits my ability to mess up the lesson!! I changed my grip some today and moved to the 3 finger grip. My grip felt a little uncomfortable with my pinky on the disc. It seemed to force me to push my thumb to the center of the disc. This just felt more comfortable and I felt like the disc was ripping from my hand easier and I was able to hold the disc better without trying to squeeze the plastic to death.

Thanks again for all the technique information

CHEERS - Koffee

Just to make sure I'm understanding this (please, if it's been repeated which I'm sure it has, just answer yes or no...), the grip itself DOES NOT MATTER. Just as long the disc won't slip out of your hand is what's important. The ONLY part of the grip that should be very secure is the thumb/index finger pinch and that's only clenched at the hit (mostly reflexive). Right?

I've found that I can actually pinch the disc fairly hard and still have my wrist loose. Is that normal? (I am able to wave it around like Marty Peters in the D-craft video.)

Thanks!

Daniel

In a way, the literal form you grip it with isn't quite as important. They do certain things. It's more important you perform the grip correctly and use it properly. You don't always want to use a four finger power grip with everything. But, it's generally better to use all four fingers in some manner incoporated in the grip. All your fingers play a role in your grip. Which Brings us here.

The grip should be loose till the hit, being able to wave it around is good. But, also the other three fingers should tighten up some to reduce slipping, until right after the very moment the disc is literally ripped from your hand at the hit, which this part is obvious, but for others you don't want to let your grip loose until after the hit. Blake pointed out he believes the pinky finger to be one of the key resistance fingers in nearly any grip. But, then maintain that really tight index pinch to get the leverage/pivot point also.

Lithicon said:
Blake pointed out he believes the pinky finger to be one of the key resistance fingers in nearly any grip.

By "key resistance fingers..." does he mean this in a good or bad way? As in something that you need to reduce or keep around?

quick side question about grips. I have been working from the hit back for the last month and have stopped at throwing with a run up from the right pec with no reach back and am getting positive results. I can fairly effortlessly get my midrange up to 280 and can feel a noticeable "snap" as it leaves my hand. I feel like when I am able to incorporate a reach back and get the timing right with the chest pause, I should be able to hit 310-320 with a midrange fairly easily.

However, I am not able to repeat this "snap" with discs with wider rims. Even the teebird feels burdensome when I reach the wrist snap part of the throw. My hands arent small, but I definitely have a issue with wider rims right now. WHat adjustments can I make to my grip or maybe a different grip altogether to help me get more leverage on the wider rimmed discs?