• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local League Rude Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbJ66

First time poster here - I play maybe twice per week with my son or husband at the Albert-Oakland disc golf course in Columbia Missouri, it's about about a 20 minute drive for us but we really have enjoyed the friends we have made and getting good exercise in while we walk the course.

Both last Thursday and today we had the unfortunate experience of seeing the behavior of the local disc golf league (Columbia Disc Golf Club). It was way out of the norm for what we are used to on the course; we played behind a group today that twice attempted to 'fight' the group ahead of them (complete with foul language and screaming). On several occasions we've heard league members tell other groups that "we are playing for money - stay off the course" or scream at the group ahead of them to "get the f--- off the hole!". The worst part is these were 40+ year old men screaming at others at the park, drinking, and smoking marijuana every-other-hole. The course is not closed for league, and after calling the city I've found out that gambling at the course should not be taking place. My husband has a local friend who is a police officer, he says the problems with this league go back several years. Is this normal 'league' behavior or should we be contacting the league itself or what?

Thanks for any advice everyone.

For the Original Poster (OP):
I've joined the spring and summer weekly leagues here in Cincinnati as a rookie player this year, and can say categorically, NO, this is not 'normal' or acceptable league behavior, no matter who organized that league.

In fact, our league players really do play like gentlemen, and seem to be very patient with others using the course.

Our local club (the GCFDA) is affiliated with our league, and would probably try to help change that sort of thing, because it is a terrible image for the local growth of the sport.

So, I would suggest contacting the local disc golf association to see if they could help out with the situation.

First - many leagues have great people in them and not everyone who runs a league or helps maintain a course behaves this way, but...

I have seen people who play in leagues that are only in it to take money from others and get very competitive and behave like asses. I have also seen people in leagues who have either helped put in the course or help maintain it think that they 'own' the course.

Again, this isn't a generalization - I have just seen it in the past.

Since I moved to Illinois from SoDak about a month and a half ago, I have had the opportunity to play in a number of different leagues, and I must say I have never witnessed this type of behavior from any local league or even from any player that is serious about the sport. That is really shameful that the league is run that way, so maybe there's a possibility for you and your family to spearhead starting a new league that will be run in a respectable manner so as to further the development and image of disc golf.

Do you and your family participate in the league?
The easiest solution would be to figure out when league is, and avoid those times, if its once a week.
Otherwise, as far as people breaking park rules or course rules that is somewhat location specific. Best course would be to contact the person running the league and discuss your concerns, but not in a threat-like manner. Next might be a toss up because contacting the park could bring up negative things for the public if the course was closed, but you can use your own moral code in the department of calling police and what situation warrants that decision.

This is not normal behavior. We don't have anyone in out club that acts like that(the yelling and cussing at other players part or telling them to leave part, the drinking and smoking... That's another thread.) as for playing for money.... It's not really gambling. You pay an entry fee to play in the event, and of you play well enough you take some cash home. I guess skins could be considered gambling, but not a mini or league round.

That sounds like Boomer. Did he have a throat tattoo of an open mouth? Columbia disc golfers are a different breed. There are some good people though.

I've never had any problems at leagues. Everyone in BG has been great to deal with, as far as that goes.

I don't believe the solution you want is involving the Police in your park. That brings a lot of trouble for a lot of people. Be a good example and ignore or stay away from those behaving inappropriately. Talk to the people running the leagues, and if those are the people acting that way find another league if possible.

Keep in mind: while this behavior is disgusting, everyone else playing the league may find it perfectly fine. Talk to other players about the issue.

This should not be acceptable behavior but I have witnessed cases of similar unacceptable behavior. I (along with a couple others) run our local leagues and I just recently (couple weeks ago) had to make announcements at each league that "lighting up" during league rounds is not permitted. Common sense says that people should know that but some don't get it. We have managed to get many new players started in our leagues this year and I don't want them scared off by the actions of 2-3 players that see it as an opportunity to take money from newer players and smoke. The problem becomes that these same players don't always accept when rounds aren't going their way and can also make it unpleasant for others. It's very few and it should not happen but all we can do is try to correct the problem when it happens.

I don't believe the solution you want is involving the Police in your park. That brings a lot of trouble for a lot of people. Be a good example and ignore or stay away from those behaving inappropriately. Talk to the people running the leagues, and if those are the people acting that way find another league if possible.

ok, I am far from the first person to say call the police, actually in most cases I am the last. But say hypothetically we, as a group of law abiding disc golfers, start getting the police involved to clean out the public drunkenness, and flagrant drug use. Wouldn't that clean up the park? Get rid of some of the bad element that seems to frequent courses? I know lately at one of the local courses the police have started to have more of a presence to curb underage drinking and has actually made the course more playable. You don't have kids sitting at the "hidden" tees passing around 40's and smoking illegal substances.

Maybe instead of ignoring the idiots and turning the other cheek we need to oust them from the parks? Make women want to bring their children out to learn. Because if there is one thing everyone should know, women control the purse strings indirectly of most parks and rec departments. How? Women vote more than men, they also are very vocal in public settings, politicians want to keep their jobs, they like making people happy, especially if it costs them very little to do so.

of course the opposite could happen and the course could get pulled and everyone would hate you for it.

Keep in mind: while this behavior is disgusting, everyone else playing the league may find it perfectly fine. Talk to other players about the issue.

Also keep in mind that being rude and obnoxious gives them no right to dictate your schedule or where you play - They are the problem not you.

I haven't had that problem with the local leagues around here. Every now and then I have run into a few players on a course during league play that act like they own the course but no serious problems have ever come up.

Sounds like perfectly acceptable behavior to me, what's the issue? :| :|

:rolleyes:

BarbJ66,

Speaking as one of the lead organizers in my local club, I suggest notifying the Park and Rec office involved. They will most likely launch their own investigation and choose whether to involve the local law enforcement if there is an on-going problem. The club organizers may end up thanking you.

My point is: people go to the park for different reasons. Some want to win some cash, some may have a few drinks, others may sneak hitters. I don't care about any of those things, but I would like to think what other people do during a round has little effect on me.

Even if their behavior is appalling, they have as much right to participate in leagues and be in the park as anyone. The best we can do is be respectful users of parks and participants in the sport. If someone is giving the sport a poor image there are constructive ways to curb that behavior, and I do not see law enforcement as a necessary utility for 'course decency.'

My point is: people go to the park for different reasons. Some want to win some cash, some may have a few drinks, others may sneak hitters. I don't care about any of those things, but I would like to think what other people do during a round has little effect on me.

Even if their behavior is appalling, they have as much right to participate in leagues and be in the park as anyone. The best we can do is be respectful users of parks and participants in the sport. If someone is giving the sport a poor image there are constructive ways to curb that behavior, and I do not see law enforcement as a necessary utility for 'course decency.'

The do not have a right to break rules that can cause law enforcement to close the course. If the park bans alcohol or gambling, they should not let the public see it, let alone scream and brag that they are doing it.They also do not have the right to tell non-members to leave public park. I think the club should be notified and the players be banned from any club activities for a month.

Last edited:
Don't like weed, don't smoke it. Don't like drinking, don't drink. Don't like the league, don't play in it.

The only thing that I see wrong is that they are yelling at groups because of their league!! That's messed up.

they lost the right to participate when they decided to do something illegal. Not sure why everyone has a problem seeing that. If it is illegal to drink in your park you are breaking the law by doing so, if you don't live in a MMJ state and decide to "medicate" you are breaking the law, by breaking the law you are only being a twat to those that aren't by risking their disc golf course with being pulled. We just had another one of ours closed because some ****tard decided it was his right to "smoke" on a course that has No Smoking signs everywhere. It was probably the best course in the area. Yeah I'm pissed at people that think just because they aren't directly harming someone that it's ok. The guy was just hitting his pipe, just happened to do it in front of people he didn't know or realize would email the course owners. They shut it down. I have very little sympathy for people who can't manage to make it through a round without partaking of their addiction, whether it be cigarettes, beer, MJ, or whatever. Take it elsewhere before another course gets closed because of your stupidity and sense of entitlement
:thmbdown:

As for people acting like they own the course, probably people that have been there since the course was installed, and are annoyed by all of the new disc golfers playing this sport. Yet they have no right to act like douches. They should instead inform newer players of the history of the course and spread the local knowledge to the new players. That way the newer players may ave more respect and an understanding of what disc golf means in that area.

As for smoking weed, if the govt would ever get their ass out of their heads, they would realize it's no big deal!!

Where's Cypress Hill when we need them?

Status
Not open for further replies.