• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local League Rude Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
really barb, you dont got to deal with none of that. its a fringe sport and everybodys got to love everybody. just go take care of business

welcome to disc golf, i just learned to play around leagues. they are not really as bad or jerks once you get to know them. its only the "elite" pompous behavour you get in any community. keep on playing buddy

First time poster here - I play maybe twice per week with my son or husband at the Albert-Oakland disc golf course in Columbia Missouri, it's about about a 20 minute drive for us but we really have enjoyed the friends we have made and getting good exercise in while we walk the course.

Both last Thursday and today we had the unfortunate experience of seeing the behavior of the local disc golf league (Columbia Disc Golf Club). It was way out of the norm for what we are used to on the course; we played behind a group today that twice attempted to 'fight' the group ahead of them (complete with foul language and screaming). On several occasions we've heard league members tell other groups that "we are playing for money - stay off the course" or scream at the group ahead of them to "get the f--- off the hole!". The worst part is these were 40+ year old men screaming at others at the park, drinking, and smoking marijuana every-other-hole. The course is not closed for league, and after calling the city I've found out that gambling at the course should not be taking place. My husband has a local friend who is a police officer, he says the problems with this league go back several years. Is this normal 'league' behavior or should we be contacting the league itself or what?

Thanks for any advice everyone.

Are you sure they are League MEMBERS, not just PLAYERS in a Weekly league that the local Club runs? Weekly League Players do NOT need to be MEMBERS. The club where I come from you do NOT need to be a MEMBER to play in thr League.
Now, if they ARE MEMBERS, Does the T.D. Know whats happening?- this stuff is going on hole X and the T.D. is is playing hole Y?
Anyway get ahold of the Club Pres. maybe He/She can take care of the problem.
Good Luck, keep us posted.

Just checking here, no offense, but are you sure they are playing league? Also, as the saying goes: one bad egg spoils the bunch...so dont hold it against the club. As far as who to talk to, if your so inclined, you need to find the league director(s). and if that doesn't work go to the city/parks department. F*** the police, they never accomplish any thing.

this thread brought to you by alcohol, the real drug problem in disc golf.
call dem police!

Truth. How many people smoking has anyone had a problem with on the course? Personally i've had none. I can't tell you how many drunk *******s have been more than a minor annoyance on the course.

We just had another one of ours closed because some ****tard decided it was his right to "smoke" on a course that has No Smoking signs everywhere. It was probably the best course in the area. Yeah I'm pissed at people that think just because they aren't directly harming someone that it's ok. The guy was just hitting his pipe, just happened to do it in front of people he didn't know or realize would email the course owners. They shut it down.:thmbdown:

A touch off topic, but what course was this? I believe ur in my area Fishy so any info is appreciated.

Dave-

I dont see anything wrong with marijuana just smoke it at your house. If you arnt grown enought to be able to put it down for a few hours and play some golf then go to rehab or just grow up.

Really Eric? Do we really need to turn this into another "motherf**k the smokers" thread?

First time poster here - I play maybe twice per week with my son or husband at the Albert-Oakland disc golf course in Columbia Missouri, it's about about a 20 minute drive for us but we really have enjoyed the friends we have made and getting good exercise in while we walk the course.

Both last Thursday and today we had the unfortunate experience of seeing the behavior of the local disc golf league (Columbia Disc Golf Club). It was way out of the norm for what we are used to on the course; we played behind a group today that twice attempted to 'fight' the group ahead of them (complete with foul language and screaming). On several occasions we've heard league members tell other groups that "we are playing for money - stay off the course" or scream at the group ahead of them to "get the f--- off the hole!". The worst part is these were 40+ year old men screaming at others at the park, drinking, and smoking marijuana every-other-hole. The course is not closed for league, and after calling the city I've found out that gambling at the course should not be taking place. My husband has a local friend who is a police officer, he says the problems with this league go back several years. Is this normal 'league' behavior or should we be contacting the league itself or what?

Thanks for any advice everyone.

This is only a small part of the reason that the golf club here is a joke. I wish I could tell you that this isn't the norm, but during leagues it is.

Dude, I play league regularly and I've never seen anything like this. Ever. That's ridiculous. There is no reason to be that way. Would you yell at someone during a tournament? No. There should be no difference. Yesterday I was playing flip doubles and we had to wait on almost every hole for a group of 6 that wasn't playing league. We may have said things like, "Good lord, I hope these guys hurry up." Among ourselves, but that doesn't give us reason to yell at anyone. That's ridiculous.

Okay, read the other pages.

Barb,
There are a few people on here from that area that you could Pm and talk to if you want.
Its unfortunate that you had to witness that stuff. But unfortunately, just like any other hobby or activity, scumbags will infiltrate it. We just have to find responsible ways of dealing with it.

This is only a small part of the reason that the golf club here is a joke. I wish I could tell you that this isn't the norm, but during leagues it is.

To add a little to my comments since the edit timer expired:
I have every right to say this, especially serving 2 years on the exec board trying to clean up things like this and being overridden by other longer standing officers.

I'm sorry, Barb, that you had to experience this out at Oakland. I hope that you don't think every club member is like this - when in fact it's always the ones that you notice that usually are the exception and not the rule. You had the pleasure of witnessing one of the most childish, hot headed players in Columbia going off on a tirade. And yes, there are a handful of them that get in terrible moods on the course and only wish to disrupt others, whether it's people on their card or other people at the course they don't care. It's embarrassing, really.

There are a decent amount of club members that want to do well and represent the sport very well in the community, but there are a handful of people that give the club a bad enough name that the sport hasn't been allowed to advance (with the city and within the club itself) since I've been playing.

Don't like weed, don't smoke it. Don't like drinking, don't drink. Don't like the league, don't play in it.

The only thing that I see wrong is that they are yelling at groups because of their league!! That's messed up.

See bad apples in every bunch. :doh:

If you dont like to be troubled with reading the post before replying, please don't bother troubling us with your ignorant replies.

Something similair happened in Louisiana last year.
Except the person who threatened a group of non league
players actually ran up to the group and was met with a gun.
And then said scumbag was arrested.
Drunks ruin everything

Barb,
I am so sorry for your experience at Oakland park. I am mortified that any of the golfers playing league acted so rude and disrespectful. Please know that the vast majority of us that play in the league here in Columbia, MO do not and would not act in such a manner. Please do not let this discourage you from coming out to Oakland and playing. I will be sure to bring this situation up to our club president and other members. I invite you to come to our Ladies League on Tuesday evenings at 5:30 pm. There is just a few of us but we have a fun time and no cost

Status
Not open for further replies.