• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local League Rude Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about as long as it takes for broken fingers to heal? I know I threatened some teenage drunk that was being an ass on the course with something along those lines. It was a while ago, but it did get his attention and it did shut him up.:thmbup:

Threatening to break a teen's fingers? Real classy, bro. Just how does that behavior promote a positive image for disc golf? You are very quick to judge others but it doesn't seem you hold yourself to the same standard. :thmbdown:

definition of fishy: of questionable character; suspicious. Okay, makes sense.

Last edited:
After reading all of this, I will say that everyone's advice to contact the club and parks before police is admirably. It would be nice to think that it could be resolved before involving police.

The more disturbing part, though, is the people telling the OP to just avoid the park and play at different times. If it is a public park, she shouldn't have to bend to someone else's will because they are being a bunch of jackasses. That kind of response is short-sighted. Yes, she probably will avoid it in the end, but shouldn't have to, and it is disappointing that this even becomes an option just because people can't conduct themselves respectfully in public.

All Apologies

To Original Poster,
As an officer of the Columbia Disc Golf Club, please accept our apologies for the rude and aggressive behavior you have witnessed at Oakland Park. I believe the norm for our club members and league participants is to treat casual players with courteousy and respect when we have club and league events at the park and that the events you encountered reflect the behavior of a small minority of players.

Note that our club has a philosophy of being very accepting of ALL community members who want to join and participate in organized events. (Is this part of being a fringe sport?) I have seen people's lives changed for the better because disc golf and the acceptance and "love" they receive from fellow disc golfers. Unfortunately, our unconditional love doesn't always lead to positive behavioral change that is 100% consistent or lasting. This isn't an excuse, just part of the reason you will see "all kinds" at our league and club events.

Club officers will discuss this incident with league leaders at the next league event. We will encourage league leaders to establish guidelines for acceptable behavior with sanctions for those who violate the rules. This will be an important issue when our club decides at our next meeting in September whether we, as a club, want to continue supporting league events.

Again, our sincere apologies that you had to witness inexcusable behavior on the disc golf course. Please don't let this keep you and your family from coming back to enjoy a great game on Columbia's nice courses.

Also, let me extend to you an invitation to join our club. We currently are recruiting members for next season. Our membership drive will culminate with the Scott Twenter Memorial Disc Golf Tournament and Club Championship on September 15-16. We will have more details on our web site CDGC.org and our Facebook page soon. We welcome all who have an interest in disc golf in Columbia to get involved with the club to help us promote disc golf and good sportsmanship. Promoting family play as part of the local disc golf culture is a good goal for our club and I'm encouraged by your family's frequent use of the courses at Oakland Park. You could help us come up with ways to make disc golf more inviting to families like yours.

Sincerely,
Mark Ehlert
CDGC Treasurer

^^I agree and I was one of the first responders that mentioned this as an option.

Fact of the matter is with work and all, you can only play when you can, but it could be the easiest option (I don't know the club or how they are perceived in the community).

I have never been to a league that tolerated stuff like this, but have seen it happen. Those players were not back in the league the rest of the year.......

I also agree cops should be the last resort, and the park department next.

Sounds like this is a fairly large league with members, and the problem has been addressed so I would assume it will be taken care of.

To Original Poster,

Also, let me extend to you an invitation to join our club. We currently are recruiting members for next season. Our membership drive will culminate with the Scott Twenter Memorial Disc Golf Tournament and Club Championship on September 15-16. We will have more details on our web site CDGC.org and our Facebook page soon. We welcome all who have an interest in disc golf in Columbia to get involved with the club to help us promote disc golf and good sportsmanship. Promoting family play as part of the local disc golf culture is a good goal for our club and I'm encouraged by your family's frequent use of the courses at Oakland Park. You could help us come up with ways to make disc golf more inviting to families like yours.

Sincerely,
Mark Ehlert
CDGC Treasurer

:popcorn:

I'm glad we've gotten away from the first five pages of call the cops. The new breed of discers was scaring me quite a bit....

if you know a cop that supports disc golf, sometimes calling them in will help because they can be the confrontational "bad guy" to put the dude in his place, that way other people don't have to worry about getting hurt. if he is unwilling to listen, i am sure hotel county jail can find him a bed for the evening....

I'm glad we've gotten away from the first five pages of call the cops. The new breed of discers was scaring me quite a bit....
Page 7: Call the Cops :D
if they can't be discreet, ***k 'em. this goes for a small percentage of smokers and just about every drinker on the course. what's so new-breed and scary about that? fewer idiots... almost makes it like a pay-to-play course.

Page 7: Call the Cops :D
if they can't be discreet, ***k 'em. this goes for a small percentage of smokers and just about every drinker on the course. what's so new-breed and scary about that? fewer idiots... almost makes it like a pay-to-play course.

I agree with this. Most of the smokers are discreet about it. Doesn't make it right to do, especially somewhere that families and children frequent.

Drinking is not illegal in Columbia parks. The amount of litter because people can't pack out what they pack in pisses me off, and there are definitely more problems with drunks at the disc golf course than anything.

And I've said it before on these boards, I don't drink or smoke. I wouldn't have problems with cops patrolling the parks more to prevent the bads from coming out.

Club officers will discuss this incident with league leaders at the next league event. We will encourage league leaders to establish guidelines for acceptable behavior with sanctions for those who violate the rules.

Fantastic letter, Mark... :clap: that's what I suspected the response would be. I hope she takes the offer of joining your group!

I always wondered why people that don't smoke, drink, or swear play disc golf for in the first place.

Last I checked those were not PDGA requirements and it is sort of a dumb post, you just further the negative stereotypes.

cdgc_mark, excellent diplomatic post :clap:

Last edited:
This sounds a little out of the norm. I have had seen this once, and it was just because the two guys were both Hot Heads, it was also on a private course and they were told my the owner that they needed to cool down or leave. One left which made it stop(this only happened on one hole).

However in the same league we play that if you show up on leagues we let you know we are playing leagues, what the best hole for you to start on (we play shot gun start) and inform you that we will not let you pass. Being said it's a private course so it can be closed to the public.

To Original Poster,
As an officer of the Columbia Disc Golf Club, please accept our apologies for the rude and aggressive behavior you have witnessed at Oakland Park. I believe the norm for our club members and league participants is to treat casual players with courteousy and respect when we have club and league events at the park and that the events you encountered reflect the behavior of a small minority of players.

Sincerely,
Mark Ehlert
CDGC Treasurer

Bravo sir! :thmbup: :clap::clap::clap:

First time poster here - I play maybe twice per week with my son or husband at the Albert-Oakland disc golf course in Columbia Missouri, it's about about a 20 minute drive for us but we really have enjoyed the friends we have made and getting good exercise in while we walk the course.

Both last Thursday and today we had the unfortunate experience of seeing the behavior of the local disc golf league (Columbia Disc Golf Club). It was way out of the norm for what we are used to on the course; we played behind a group today that twice attempted to 'fight' the group ahead of them (complete with foul language and screaming). On several occasions we've heard league members tell other groups that "we are playing for money - stay off the course" or scream at the group ahead of them to "get the f--- off the hole!". The worst part is these were 40+ year old men screaming at others at the park, drinking, and smoking marijuana every-other-hole. The course is not closed for league, and after calling the city I've found out that gambling at the course should not be taking place. My husband has a local friend who is a police officer, he says the problems with this league go back several years. Is this normal 'league' behavior or should we be contacting the league itself or what?

Thanks for any advice everyone.

Sounds like they were out of control. But you also sound like an uptight, prude stick in the mud. You really have a problem other people playing for their own money? You have a problem people smoking if they are on a different hole and you don't smell it? Drinking? Mind your own business, bro.

I bet they were a little drunk and weren't displaying normal behavior. People that smoke weed just aren't the fighting type. You probably did something to anger them as well. I'd like to hear the other side of this story. I have no idea if i am accurate with my guesses. I just am very annoyed with holier than though people.

EDIT:
Ahh she is a woman. That is slightly different. Language and male boisterousness is frightening to some woman. I personally believe in showing woman some respect, but I'm not about to tell other people what to do or get offended when they don't if it doesn't affect me.

You have to protect your children, and a disc golf course must be kid friendly when kids are present. But don't ever come and whine about other people playing for other people's money. Not to mention you never know if a player is actually in the league or just some random, drunken casual player.

Last edited:
Sounds like they were out of control. But you also sound like an uptight, prude stick in the mud. You really have a problem other people playing for their own money? You have a problem people smoking if they are on a different hole and you don't smell it? Drinking? Mind your own business, bro.

I bet they were a little drunk and weren't displaying normal behavior. People that smoke weed just aren't the fighting type. You probably did something to anger them as well. I'd like to hear the other side of this story, Liberace.

It's pretty clear you didn't read the first post, it's also pretty clear that you'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution to making disc golf an activity that is friendly and welcoming to women and children. Drunken idiots fighting each other and telling non-league players to leave the park is unacceptable no matter what you think should or shouldn't be allowed or legal.

I bet they were a little drunk and weren't displaying normal behavior. People that smoke weed just aren't the fighting type. You probably did something to anger them as well. I'd like to hear the other side of this story. I have no idea if i am accurate with my guesses. I just am very annoyed with holier than though people.

EDIT:
Ahh she is a woman. That is slightly different. Language and male boisterousness is frightening to some woman. I personally believe in showing woman some respect, but I'm not about to tell other people what to do or get offended when they don't if it doesn't affect me.

You have to protect your children, and a disc golf course must be kid friendly when kids are present. But don't ever come and whine about other people playing for other people's money. Not to mention you never know if a player is actually in the league or just some random, drunken casual player.

Wow what a condescending post.:thmbdown: You really believe women are weak and inferior don't you? I'm a guy who has no issues with drinking or other, but I know it's common courtesy to not be blatant about these activities in public, especially if unfamiliar people are around. The OP was not being "holier than thou", she was concerned about some folks acting crazy on the course and wanted reassurance that it wouldn't be an all the time deal with our sport. If she was being a stick in the mud, she could have called the cops or begun lobbying to remove the course, but instead she went looking for more info and advice.

EDIT:

So you condone their actions -- threatening to fight, being belligerent, and acting disrespectful?

GAMBLE that reply fails on too many levels. Hopefully your reading comprehension serves you better in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts