• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a meathook fairway driver

ChampionMonarch

Par Member
Not too different from my other current thread about looking for a new anny driver, I am also in the market for a sickly stable fairway driver.

Only thing different from my other thread is that I didnt lose a disc in this slot, I've just never owned a really stable disc. Now I'm just looking for something I can throw for 250-300ft shots while keeping a strong hyzer. again, I'm really only familiar with Innova and Discraft, so I'm open to any and all suggestions and brands.

So far I'm looking at the Banshee and Viper, maybe the Predator but that's a bit faster and might be more than I'm looking for for my purposes.

Pretty broad category. You looking for a master list of all overstable fwy drivers, a short list of the best/most popular, or can you narrow down any particular flight characteristics you want to achieve?

I like the predator as it also doubles as a head wind driver and a decent two finger disc. Though I am not sure it really qualifies as a meat hook.

CHEERS - Koffee

short list moreso. basically I'm asking people what their personal favorite overstable short driver is or what they've heard good things about.

I'm looking for something where I can put a good amount of power on it and have it fly with a strong sweeping hyzer, and not have to worry about it flipping flat really or turning over.

does that help narrow things down a little? I'm pretty much completely ignorant about overstable discs and am looking for any sort of direction to start looking in; the Banshee, Viper, and Predator being the only lower speed ones I can name off the top of my head.

Whippet. Been digging the glow champs I got from DGV. I got it mainly for short forehand flicks, rollers, and overall utility. Used it on a couple 250-300ft spike hyzers and was surprised how much height I could get on it while it kept its line.

But honestly just go with the Predator, it really an amazing disc. Every time I take it out of the bag, I find myself in a situation where at least once where I want my Pred back.

this thread will just turn into the usual FB/Pred/XXX discussion. Let's go ahead and make a post about stable mid range discs.

pick one of those three overstable discs, you won't be disappointed.

zj1002 said:
FB/Pred/XXX
Yep, there's your short list. I think these discs are actually on the borderline in speed between fwy and D drivers, but they define the category of versatile overstable driver. I throw Preds myself, not that it matters.

I just mentioned this in the predictable disc thread, but an ESP Predator is a nice dead-straight from flat with reliable fade disc when seasoned and holds very nice hyzers. I pair that with a xXx (lost mine) or Z Pred for real meat-hookery and that takes care of that slot for me.

I have stayed away from the Firebirds since I have heard that recent runs aren't making too many folks happy.

for the shot your asking about i would just go Banshee. for that same shot i throw a 11x teebird..but i also live at high elevation so that changes things. 300ft distance shouldnt turn either of these discs over.

Haven't tried the XXX or the Whippet but from hearsay Whippet is mid range in D. One worthy disc nobody has mentioned yet is Gateway Spirit. On some lists it's mentioned to be faster than FW but it's so pigly much more so than Pred and noticeably more than a Banshee that it ain't long for me. It's a shorter disc than a Gator for me in mild to moderate winds. The utility of a Spirit comes with howling headwinds and trick shots. My E is so soft that I don't wanna throw tommies with it.

From speed perspective some lists mention Discraft Xtreme to be a FW driver from speed point of view. Haven't thrown it.

Start with a dx Viper.

XXX has the most meat, but you may not have enough arm to get it where you want. I save mine for storm winds and otherwise leave it home.

The transition from Viper to Pred was good for me, and the Pred works lots of lines well.

I like the Z Xtreme, it's not a long disc by any stretch, but it's suuuuuuuuuuper overstable to the point that I don't use it much outside of OH shots, and is right where I think you need in terms of distance (I'd say the XXX is a longer disc by a wide gap)

good luck finding one though after Vegan Ray apparently bought every single one in existence

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19259&p=293359#p293277

XxX. Trident. Viper. Max weight flat champ eagle-x is pretty nice also.. not quite a meathook but beefy. Z Predators are also nice, I only use mine for breezy headwind drives now... XXX has taken over all other Predator responsibilities: skips, hyzers, spikes, flicks, tommies, thumbers, rollers...

Maybe an S-PD given your power level? Will be longer in the wind than the overstable utility type discs and you can grow into it for nice nice straight then fade shots as you get more power.

i really love the banshee but i wouldnt call it meathook like a firebird or pred. i carry a champ viper as my short range overstable. its the most overstable disc ive ever thrown and i really like them, much moreso than the star whippet-x that i used to throw

Latest posts