• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for an understable driver for beginner

Maybe an Archangel?

Edit: I didn't notice post above also suggest that..

Last edited:
Comet, core, dragon. He'll have more luck with one of these three I think. The dragon is light and flippy, a great first driver, but slower is probably even better. Comet and core are both pretty easy to turn over. Comet is glidey, core is faster/sharper flight.

Sounds like he doesn't have he arm speed to get those mamba, sidewinder etc discs up to speed.

I'd suggest a Westside Underworld. Yeah, it's flippy, but it has great glide and it can teach even a beginner to hyzerflip. My other half uses one for slight turnovers, she throws about 250 on a good rip.

On discgolfcenter it says the Underworld is speed 7 compared to speed 9 of a Sidewinder, but they both have the same rim width. How does that work? It also says it has the same turn -3 and fade 1 as the Sidewinder. I know you can't always trust those numbers. Is it substantially more understable than the Sidewinder?

Yes, it's substantially more understable than a Sidewinder. The rim widths are similar. The speed ratings are different because I think it takes less power to flip an Underworld compared to a champ or star Sidewinder. Although the Underworld is rated as a speed 7,I find it flies like a faster disc.

Sounds like he's got some form issues, combined with a mental picture of what a disc should be like that are hindering his progression as a player.

The Yikun Wei, Mamba, and if you can trick him into a lighter disc a Diamond, sound ideal for your low power torque monkey. They are all decently understable, with just enough stability that someone with under 300ft of power won't be able to turn them over.

Unless physical limitations are also a factor, it sounds like bad footwork or a shallow reach back could be hurting him also. Maybe both.

I say ROADRUNNER, INSANITY, INERTIA, maybe even a Diamond?

But I think an Insanity would help him realize how/why discs S shape

Not to call it 'beginner set' but a set to allow a player to better learn backhand throws that won't fade out too much.

Driver: Roadrunner (or sidewinder) Or Insanity (by AXIOM)

Mid: Axiom Alias - Buzzz SS - Panther (Any one of these would be fine)

Putter - Anything stable (but not overstable) - Pa4, Pa3, beadles Aviar, whatever really, just not a zone

The problem is, this "beginner" wants a wide rimmed driver and believes that anything less than 170g is too light. These are the guys that Dicks sporting good thrives on. This was why the invented the Groove.

That's why I'm saying a Mamba or Sail at exactly 170g is exactly what the doctor ordered. He's not gonna disc down no matter what you do his skull is too thick. Let him have his way for a while until he wants to get better and then he'll eventually figure it out. You can lead a horse to water.....

The problem is, this "beginner" wants a wide rimmed driver and believes that anything less than 170g is too light. These are the guys that Dicks sporting good thrives on. This was why the invented the Groove.

That's why I'm saying a Mamba or Sail at exactly 170g is exactly what the doctor ordered. He's not gonna disc down no matter what you do his skull is too thick. Let him have his way for a while until he wants to get better and then he'll eventually figure it out. You can lead a horse to water.....

Max weight Sail would be ideal. It's my long severe turnover driver.

But for a macho delusional beginner, it might actually go straight if he throws it flat.

Star Roadrunner < 170g
Polaris LS Millennium Plastic < 170g (My preference is around 160g)
Neutron Relay < 170g
DX, Pro, or Gstar Leopard < 170g
400G M4 or ESP Meteor (mids but near fairway distance) > 170g

Last edited:
Underworld is a good call.

One disc most folks don't know about is the Lat 64 Maul. It was designed to fly like a beat in River, and it does. Not flippy, just a nice slow turn for moderate power.

Doubt this would hyzer out on your friend.

Underworld is a good call.

One disc most folks don't know about is the Lat 64 Maul. It was designed to fly like a beat in River, and it does. Not flippy, just a nice slow turn for moderate power.

Doubt this would hyzer out on your friend.

Mauls are great turnover drivers for beginners, and are right up there with the Leopard for what I'd recommend as a starter.

C-Mamba! C=Sidewinder! Discamania FD, Discamania pro PD.
All a+ molds which can morph into different uses when his Arm speed and form improve.