• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to buy a new disc

DangerDanger

Hello, I've been lurking on here awhile but never posted anything. However I recently started to get much better with my sidearm drives. I can throw about 275-300 feet on a straight line with my teebird. I would like to get another super accurate disc like this that I could throw even deeper. My teebird is 166 grams. Thanks for the help!

So many molds....

...I'd start suggesting some molds, but by the time you start throwing them you will outgrow them anyways.

Do you like the way your teebird feels as far as gripping it? Have you tried any other molds? If you're throwing a 166g teebird FH 300' and want more distance you may be looking at an SL or Wraith. I would suggest staying around the same weight for now. Once you've really start getting that good distance form you'll be turning them over, and looking into getting heavier weights and more stable molds.

It's really all about trying things and feeling whats right. I've read stuff about certain discs and how they were gonna help me do this and help me do that, but the disc feels so awkward in my hand and have a tough time releasing it consistantly. Try alot of different things if you can, but don't drift away from what's working for you

Well I have a few discs. I have my champ 11x teebird, champ leopard(Also learning how to throw backhand can only get it to around 225-250ft), dga rogue, champ beast for my drivers, then a roc and a putter. I loved my old beast, but I lost it and the new one I bought doesn't fly even close to as good as the old one did. I was thinking about getting a wraith or a destroyer, but I am not sure I have the power to be able to keep it accurate without just diving off hard right. I do like the grip of the teebird because I feel like I can get a lot more power into it.

You can get more distance with your teebird than what you are getting, what you really need to do is practice form. A quick fix might be a Discmania PD or SOLF but you might not have the skill to tap that potential.

If I make it do an S I can maybe 50+ more feet out of it, but then I have to throw it a bit higher instead of 8-15 feet off the ground. Which is bad because a lot of holes have over lying trees that love to knock discs down for breakfast lunch and dinner. Also I feel like the wind can just take it at the end and screw me pretty bad sometimes. Maybe if I run up I can get some more distance instead of taking just a step.

Last edited:
First disc that comes to mind is the Discmania PD. It's practically a speed 10 Teebird. Should give you almost the same flight, except go a little farther with the same effort.

A couple of good FH tutorials

The best thing you can do to improve your distance (FH or BH), is to practice clean, OAT-less throws with an unforgiving midrange like Keltik suggested. OAT stands for Off Axis Torque and is generally the wobble and flutter you see when you throw.

good luck

My disc doesn't wobble when it comes out of my hand so I don't think I have too much OATs, now back hand is another story. I just don't think I have that big of an arm. I used to have a 150 destroyer before I lost it in the woods and I could get that 375 but only if there was 0 wind and nobody sneezed. I really only need to go max 350. The holes around here are pretty short were I play. I wonder if my local disc store carries that PD in a 166 and bright color.

You can get more distance with your teebird than what you are getting, what you really need to do is practice form. A quick fix might be a Discmania PD or SOLF but you might not have the skill to tap that potential.

Good suggestion here. Work that Teebird out a little farther, that might do you some good. I enjoy the Beast as well, but you really have to figure this disc out in order to get long straight drives with it.

IMO don't buy a new disc, the teebird should go beyond 300 easily with a forehand. Personally, anything lower than 300 and I'm forehanding a buzzz, 300 is a standstill forehand with a wildcat/teebird. Just work on it, keep that teebird and keep practicing. having an accurate 300 is much better than an inaccurate 350.

I would recommend, for a FOREHAND THROWS, the next step up might be a Discmania DD. Perhaps in P plastic so it will beat in a little straighter. Or a Champion Wraith so it will be a bit more stable to begin with...either way.

\/\/

oh your a FH player. I still stand by my suggestion of a Comet. but throw it BH. it is far easier to get more distance with BH.

My back hand is soooo bad. I must have watched that beato video 100 times. I cant seem to get my timing right with my shoulders and hips and release. Also thanks for all the help.