• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Looking to try out Gateway Discs.Suggestions?

I'm looking to make a new bag.

For the longest time I've used nothing but Innova stuff,with the rare occasional Wizard in the bag.I'm just bored with my Innova stuff and would like to try out Gateway for fun.

I could use some help on what Gateway discs would be great to get and which ones I should stay away from.I'm mainly wanting the versatility I Have in my Innova bag(Wind Stable,Stable,Straight and Turnover Discs)

Any help on what to get is greatly appreciated. :thmbup:

Gateway has some of the best putters in the game, this you already know.

Mids
My suggestion, get a E Karma and a E Element, both have a great feel, one, the Karma, is OS, and works great in wind, or if you need to hyzer in a shot. The Element is US, and gives you the turnover shots you need to score low. Fast learning curve on these discs, because they both feel exactly the same in your hand.

Fairway
The Sabre I have sen a number of people throw in place for the Teebird. I have thrown them, and found nothing too special about them IMHO, but a lot of players throw them.

I am regarding the Assassin as a Fairway, but it is long. Very straight flight, I used as my #1 driver for a long time simply because I could throw it long in tight places.

Distance
Their 2 new drivers, Samurai and Slayer, have got great reviews form the guys who lay them here.

Here's a solid bag:

Pick a putter mold or two: I'd recommend Wizard and Magic.

Mids: HPP Warrior (OS), HPP Element(US), and either a scout or karma (Neutral).

Drivers:
Lite weight HPP Sabre (understable), Slayer (stable driver), Spirit (overstable and head wind)

Overstable Utility:
Demon or Blaze. I prefer the Demon more. Just came down to feel.

Nice! Thanks for the info man.

I may get one of the Slayers just because I listen to the band Slayer. :D

Both courses I play at are heavily wooded with a few holes that call for big D.I've found that when I do my Rocs and Aviars only rounds I'm only 4/5 strokes behind my regular rounds.This is mainly due to accuracy issues.

I've never tried a Magic,but I've heard great things about it.

Is it beadless or beaded?I've putted with the beadless Aviars but never liked them.On the other hand the Wizards are beaded,but putt much much different than the KC Pro Aviars.

The magic is beadless and doesn't like wind all that much when thrown hard. However, putting in the wind with it is not a poblem for me. The Wizard is Amazing though for driving and approaches.

I always recommend the Voodoo to a new Gateway Player. They are one of the best approach/throw-in putt discs out there.

I also would say that the Spirit is the best hurricane wind fighting disc on the market.

Thanks for the suggestions.

At the moment these are the discs I am most interested in.

Demon
Blaze
Element
Sabre
Spirit
Assassin
Illusion
2 more Wizards

Edit:The Slayer is a maybe.

I'm hoping the Local shop has these and I'm hoping I can get over this Flu bug so I can play tomorrow.

These are the only ones that have stuck with me so far. Evo Element (the glide capabilites of this disc create a mid that could easily replace all other mids in my bag, and it has), Evo Magic (glidey turnover drives, solid ups, chainseeker), Twizards Evo (replaced by DGCR Anode due to color) and SSS (recently traded a BloFlyII for this guy, straight driveputt and upshot, feels more like a worn SS though) <- brings me to a good point, when buying gateway "S" line putters (discs?) definitely do it in store to know exactly what feel youre getting. They can have variances run to run. Give gateway a throw for sure!¡:clap:¡!

Attachments

• element_1340325530191.jpg
    element_1340325530191.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 12
  • evomag_1341849433355.jpg
    evomag_1341849433355.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 13
  • wizs_1341849694553.jpg
    wizs_1341849694553.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the suggestions.

At the moment these are the discs I am most interested in.

Demon
Blaze
Element
Sabre
Spirit
Assassin
Illusion
2 more Wizards

Edit:The Slayer is a maybe.

I'm hoping the Local shop has these and I'm hoping I can get over this Flu bug so I can play tomorrow.

If you contact gateway, you can normally get about 10 discs for 70 bucks shipped. Takes about a week to get but a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'd get an "s" line element as well ... I like it when I need more turn on a lower powered shot. The evos will turn but need to be thrown narced than the s line to get there sometimes. S lines grip in the rain or any moist condition is phenominal

Mids: HPP Warrior (OS), HPP Element(US), and either a scout or karma (Neutral).

I find the Karma to be more OS than neutral.

Warrior, Demon, Blaze, all mid OS discs.

The only reason I prefer the Karma is because it has the stability of a Roc, but the feel of a driver, like a Buzzz.

Because the Karma and Element feel the same, it becomes very easy to develop touch with them.

*Personally, since the Wizard is such a great throwing disc, I would prefer it as the 'stable mid' so to speak.

I find the Karma to be more OS than neutral.

Warrior, Demon, Blaze, all mid OS discs.

The only reason I prefer the Karma is because it has the stability of a Roc, but the feel of a driver, like a Buzzz.

Because the Karma and Element feel the same, it becomes very easy to develop touch with them.

*Personally, since the Wizard is such a great throwing disc, I would prefer it as the 'stable mid' so to speak.

You're right. Lots of overlap with a warrior, but i'd rather the sharper nose on a Demon for overhand and utility shots.

You're right. Lots of overlap with a warrior, but i'd rather the sharper nose on a Demon for overhand and utility shots.

I have never owned one, simply since disc golf is 50% physical, and 90% mental, I never wanted the thought, "Hey, I need to pull the DEMON out of my bag." But I have heard they are crazy OS.

Here is my bag.....

I have 2 175 chalky wizards, 1 117 evo wizard, 1 180 E Element, 2 180 S Karma, 1 180 E Warrior, 1 175 E Demon, 1 175 assasin, 1 175 S Illusion super flat and overstable, 2 175 Proline Illusions, 2 175 E Samuria, 2 155 S Samuria, 2 175 E slayers, 2 169 pro Spirits. Gateways putters and mids are amazing and the new drivers are pretty good. But the Illusion is my goto 80% of the time.

I love my HPP Evo Element. Great mid-range that has some shaping ability. Can be flexed for long distance but still stays straight enough for technical shots.

I disagree with the generalization that Gateway has sub-par plastic but I only use their putters and evo mid.

This, and this. My favorite disc is still my blue E HPP Element. Sabre in same plastic is very underrated fairway driver. SuperSoft Magic is the best thing since sliced bread and pockets on jeans.

I have a question.

I'm starting to feel better so I'll be going to my Local shop soon.

I'm planning on using Wizards again as my main putters.I have 1 Evolution Pro Line,1 Medium,1 Soft,and 3 Hard.All 175 grams.

I'm going to be buying 2 brand new "hards" or 2 "Mediums" as my main putters.

Out of these 2 blends which do you think would be the better all around putters?

I also plan on buying a Magic and a Warlock just to try out,more than likely they may be part of my driving putters.

I'm going to be putting a lot of money on these discs since I plan on having half my bag Innova and half my bag Gateway.Any suggestions on the 2 plastic blends will be greatly appreciated.

The Karma is a lot like a KC roc and the mystic is a great dead strait disc that beats in to turn over fairly quickly. I had both in my bag until i lost my Karma. Their putters are second to none the magic and wizard take care of all my up shots and putts. The G9 wizard is kinda like a better rhyno. The Illusion is a decent driver semi wraith like. The slayer is like a pro destroyer that doenst beat in as fast and the samurai is flippy and a long long long flyer.

The Karma is a lot like a KC roc and the mystic is a great dead strait disc that beats in to turn over fairly quickly. I had both in my bag until i lost my Karma. Their putters are second to none the magic and wizard take care of all my up shots and putts. The G9 wizard is kinda like a better rhyno. The Illusion is a decent driver semi wraith like. The slayer is like a pro destroyer that doenst beat in as fast and the samurai is flippy and a long long long flyer.

Thanks man.

The Karma I've looked at online,but I think I'm going to keep my Domey and Flat Top 11x KC Pro Rocs in my bag.It would be sweet to have though.

I didn't know the Samurai was flippy.The way the Gateway flight chart looks makes it hard to tell if anything is flippy or not.

The drivers I'm looking at trying out are the Illusion,Assassin,Slayer,Spirit and Sabre.

I want to keep my Innova Valkyrie in my bag.Does the Samurai Fly like a Valkyrie?

Another question.

What is your take on the Hard and Medium plastic for putting.I've used both,but I'm not sure which one would be more durable.