• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magic?

Frank Delicious said:
Is that Lindsey Lohan?
Too fat to be her :lol:

After reading this, I decided to take a handful of magic's out and do my 30 minute putting routine. I was surprised at how easily I was able to assimilate these to my putting style. I went 85% overall(15, 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 ft.). And it was windy as well. Maybe I will try out the magic this weekend for a round.

I love my magic for those 150' and in upshots and drives because it will just hold a line so well and it does so, more or less, out of the box. After beating a wizard into a good spot and then losing it, I found that it was just easier to use a magic. I putt with the voodoo now and find that it holds up well in wind and isn't as overstable as the wizard and will hold a straight line on a putt for 30'-40' which works well for me.

dgdave said:
A little off topic, but, am I the only person that likes their litter used for jump putts to be really overstable? I use a pretty damn new proto vp for my long putts.

I just use a lighter (167g) version of my primary putter.

I enjoyed the magic+overstable putter combo for a bit, but found myself waffling too much on what to use in the 50-70' range, so I just went back to using one putter mold.

The magic is a fantastic disc, and I turned a lot of people in my area on to the neutral flight characteristics, but it just wasn't the putter for me.

victorb said:
I enjoyed the magic+overstable putter combo for a bit, but found myself waffling too much on what to use in the 50-70' range, so I just went back to using one putter mold.

I usually just go with whichever one feels like it would work better for that particular putt.

Anybody try the clear Evo Magics? I know there is some dislike of Evo putters, but I've found most of the criticisms of them (no glide, etc.) to vary a lot, depending on what their current idea of "evo" is. I had a clear wizard that I really liked. Any word on these?

Is this threat completely dead? Or is there another Magic thread, one that I just couldnt find?

Anyhoo, has anyone found Magics to be more/less stable on different stiffnesses?
For example, would a Medium Magic be a lot more stable than an SSS one?

My Magic is one of the few discs that I really miss when I'm without it. I keep a heavier one (174) for anny upshots and for all my short distance putting (20 feet or less) and I use a lighter (170) Voodoo to compliment it for the long putts. I have plenty of other discs I can putt well with, but nothing that will hold a tight anhyzer approach like that Magic will.

Loop said:
...has anyone found Magics to be more/less stable on different stiffnesses?
For example, would a Medium Magic be a lot more stable than an SSS one?
I have probably 20 Magics in different stiffnesses bit they are all S Plastic.
I have not noticed a huge difference between them.
I have not thrown any E or HPP Magics but I have heard they are more overstable and have less glide.
FWIW my favorite ones are the Caterpillar yellow 175g S plastic that is labeled "Soft". They are much stiffer than I thought they would be but the flight plate has a little flex. Mine are from the very fist no-proto batch that Gateway shot.

I have a few Magics and they all seem to fly the same to me. At least generally. There are always bound to be small differences bot nothing major.

I actually carry a Glo and an E HPP in my bag. The Glo is generally only used for putting and the HPP for approaches. I recently put a heavier Ion back in the bag for when I want to put some more umph on a throw and driving; along with not being quite happy with myself taking the Ion out in the name of minimalism when they are so amazing on approaches.

Still, the HPP Magic gets the turnover approaches; particularly ones where i want to use a lot of touch and still have it hold the turnover line; and no matter how close my approach makes, the only disc I touch the chains with is my Glo Magic. Partially because I am used to the "float" it has and using anything else throws me off, and another part OCD.

I switched to Magics last year because they have so much glide. It's a lot easier to hit longer putts with them. When I first started putting with them I missed high a lot, but I learned to adjust for the extra glide. The only downside I see with them is that they do like to play around in the wind a lot more than I'd like. Most of the time they're fine, but if I'm really questioning the wind I just pull out my beat Wizard and that bead takes care of it.

Waking up from hibernation!

I saw Nikko using Magics last spring so (obv!) I switched from Pures to Magics.
I just love how it feels in my hand and my release has been pretty consistent with Magics whole time. Although I've seen that quick lovestory with all my putters in last years..

I have a good pile of firm and tacky black Soft Magics, few glows and few mediums. I'm using those blacks for all my putting and have one medium in bag for short turnovers.
Actually just ordered a couple of new softs and got super nice purple one which I find feeling even better than my loved blacks.

I really like that neutral flight, but they get pretty much useless when there is even a little breeze. So I've been using wizards, ions and now Jokeri to compliment Magics when driving in wind/ short hyzers.