• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Magnets if you use them which ones and how

Me and Magnets.

Short answer: Garbage. I feel barely credible loaning/gifting one to a newbie as a mildly os putter /approach / driving putter / 'stumpy' midrange.

Longer;
The Magnet is moderate Fáil In all ways and uses. It absolutely is a shallow midrange labeled as a putter. Most that were molded came in 'gets furry as it wears' Pro D plastic. Glide is dead and rubber like in a bad way. Headwind handling is dainty and barely capable. Discraft lineup would better if Magnet deleted. Stupid throwback. Throw a Zone.

.., and A curse on any one that throws a soft magnet, that's just evil

I for sure dont like soft magnets. I think the people that do, use them primarily for throwing, which i just dont. And yes throw zones! :hfive: the zone has a permanent place in my bag.

Zones and Magnets are so different that it boggles the mind that they would come up in the same thread. If Zones are what you want in a driving putter, for the love of God don't throw a Magnet. If you do you should have your head examined.

I putt with an Soft APX. Very similar to Magnet, but a bit more US.
I'm still waiting for Discraft to come out with a Neodymium Magnet.
That would be my go to putter.

Discraft lineup would better if Magnet deleted. Stupid throwback. Throw a Zone.

Throwback? You're kidding, right?

Me and Magnets.

Short answer: Garbage. I feel barely credible loaning/gifting one to a newbie as a mildly os putter /approach / driving putter / 'stumpy' midrange.

Longer;
The Magnet is moderate Fáil In all ways and uses. It absolutely is a shallow midrange labeled as a putter. Most that were molded came in 'gets furry as it wears' Pro D plastic. Glide is dead and rubber like in a bad way. Headwind handling is dainty and barely capable. Discraft lineup would better if Magnet deleted. Stupid throwback. Throw a Zone.

Soft Magnets have gotten worse, they are softer then before as All discs in Pro D got softer after 2005. The Jawbreaker is what most are going to if not a Clutch from Legacy, I don't like them as the Clutch flies faster then the Magnet due to its lower height profile. I tried a Clutch in the store on a basket and it was faster then a magnet. I can use a Hydra though, it feels a bit different in the under part and in flight a bit more OS thought the Hydra has the same speed in the air and more close profile height. I used a R-Pro Hydra once before I gave it too a friend for Christmas gift with other Innova discs most were beginner friendly , Our local Sports Store sells only Innova discs. So I got him Innova discs to play the game with, not realizing he had some discs like two Buzz and a high speed Driver he had no business throwing. He does not play much either, something else I did not know. My dad has a rare DX Hydra from when the disc first came into production still in his bag.

Last edited:
Zones and Magnets are so different that it boggles the mind that they would come up in the same thread. If Zones are what you want in a driving putter, for the love of God don't throw a Magnet. If you do you should have your head examined.

Magnets are for Putting and Approach/long Putts mostly unless you have a hard Elite Z Magnet for longer shots like short midrange or longer Approach shots. I used to use a U-2 in prostyle Plastic for my driving putter before A Star Shark 175 grams took that spot and can do more, midrage to long approach as well as Putting in high winds but a older plastic Pro Shark same weight is more used for putting as the plastic is better suited for putting. If I loose the Pro Plastic Shark I will look at a G Star Shark in same weight or just get a Star Shark in same weight as the one I already have.

Last edited:
Eh, those old Z Magnets were overstable and flew like a brick. The guys with cannons could drive them. Not I.

Last edited:
Anyway, back in the day all we had was baseline plastic so we drove with it. Nobody died. :| The plastic is different in that Pro D is softer and less durable than the Competition plastic that the old pulse Magnets were run in, but you can still drive Pro-D. It just won't last as long. What I really remember about driving Magnets back in the day is that they were stable but had a hard dump at the end. I didn't like throwing them as much as Aviars because of the dump (back when Aviars and Magnets were basically the options we had.)

Anyway, back in the day all we had was baseline plastic so we drove with it. Nobody died. :| The plastic is different in that Pro D is softer and less durable than the Competition plastic that the old pulse Magnets were run in, but you can still drive Pro-D. It just won't last as long. What I really remember about driving Magnets back in the day is that they were stable but had a hard dump at the end. I didn't like throwing them as much as Aviars because of the dump (back when Aviars and Magnets were basically the options we had.)

Other Option would have been a Rubber Putter. It was out since the original Innova XD Eagle was no longer made and copied off of that. Oh and a Classic ROC a different disc then the ROC out their more a driving putter. XD was another choice too.

Last edited:
Me and Magnets.

Longer;

I usually like what you have to say. But not here. Honestly feels like a troll post to me, but I'll bite anyway.

They aren't mildly overstable. They're neutral to understable depending upon wear like an Aviar would be. Yes I won't deny they get dinged up initally and you may need to use a littler sandpaper to smooth out the inital cuts, but what baseline disc doesn't require that? I've thrown every company under the sun prior to 2015 and haven't noticed much difference in baseline durability. They glide plenty for any putter that isn't borderline a lid a la Polecat/Rattler. You're crazy for thinking they're a brick. No **** they can't handle a headwind:wall: Zone is an incredibly awesome mold. BUT...that's beyond apples to oranges. It's hermit crab to black bear.

+1

I know, a throwback is like a Pro D Rattler, a Putt'r Elite X soft or a Roach in Pro D.

You were doing so well with the first majority of your post. Roach wasn't approved until 2015.

Magnets are for Putting and Approach/long Putts mostly unless you have a hard Elite Z Magnet for longer shots like short midrange or longer Approach shots . . . .

I and many others drove the hell out of baseline discs in the past. Last I checked TONS of people still do?

Eh, those old Z Magnets were overstable and flew like a brick. They guys with cannons could drive them. Not I.

Magnet advocate and power thrower here, still hated Z Magnets:thmbup:

Other Option would have been a Rubber Putter. It was out since the original Innova XD Eagle was no longer made and copied off of that. Oh and a Classic ROC a different disc then the ROC out their more a driving putter. XD was another choice too.
To be clear, there were other "putter" options like the 86, P-38, Rubber Putter, XD, Super Puppy, etc. Weird to say but the "Classic Roc" was not one of them, the original mold went OOP when the San Marino Roc was introduced and the "Classic Roc" didn't come out until the mid '90's. Anyway, there technically were other things you could use for putts or short drives.

Let's be real for a moment, though. When I started playing the only great driving putter out there was the Aviar. A few years later the Magnet came out and there were two great driving putters. Years later the Wizard came out and there were three, and then the Challenger came out and there were four. For a lot of people the Challenger replaced the Magnet in the conversation. So 10 years ago when this site started somebody could ask "what should I use for a driving putter" and you could answer Wizard, KC Aviar, and Challenger and the thread was over. You could throw in a bunch of other options just to cover the discs that were out there, but the basic conversation was over in three discs. It just wasn't like it is today with 100 different good options.

So as I recall the early 90's, were there other putters on the market that you could throw? Sure. Realistically there were two putters, Aviar and Magnet. If you were throwing anything else, you were handicapping yourself.

To be clear, there were other "putter" options like the 86, P-38, Rubber Putter, XD, Super Puppy, etc. Weird to say but the "Classic Roc" was not one of them, the original mold went OOP when the San Marino Roc was introduced and the "Classic Roc" didn't come out until the mid '90's. Anyway, there technically were other things you could use for putts or short drives.

Let's be real for a moment, though. When I started playing the only great driving putter out there was the Aviar. A few years later the Magnet came out and there were two great driving putters. Years later the Wizard came out and there were three, and then the Challenger came out and there were four. For a lot of people the Challenger replaced the Magnet in the conversation. So 10 years ago when this site started somebody could ask "what should I use for a driving putter" and you could answer Wizard, KC Aviar, and Challenger and the thread was over. You could throw in a bunch of other options just to cover the discs that were out there, but the basic conversation was over in three discs. It just wasn't like it is today with 100 different good options.

So as I recall the early 90's, were there other putters on the market that you could throw? Sure. Realistically there were two putters, Aviar and Magnet. If you were throwing anything else, you were handicapping yourself.

Thanks for the history of Disc Golf the way you saw it.

I usually like what you have to say. But not here. Honestly feels like a troll post to me, but I'll bite anyway.

They aren't mildly overstable. They're neutral to understable depending upon wear like an Aviar would be. Yes I won't deny they get dinged up initally and you may need to use a littler sandpaper to smooth out the inital cuts, but what baseline disc doesn't require that? I've thrown every company under the sun prior to 2015 and haven't noticed much difference in baseline durability. They glide plenty for any putter that isn't borderline a lid a la Polecat/Rattler. You're crazy for thinking they're a brick. No **** they can't handle a headwind:wall: Zone is an incredibly awesome mold. BUT...that's beyond apples to oranges. It's hermit crab to black bear.

+1

You were doing so well with the first majority of your post. Roach wasn't approved until 2015.

I and many others drove the hell out of baseline discs in the past. Last I checked TONS of people still do?

Magnet advocate and power thrower here, still hated Z Magnets:thmbup:

Roach is a throwback style lid disc like the Puppy and Super Puppy is what I was meaning. The Putt'r did not come out until 2006 either so it is not a true throwback as well.

Yes I know a person who still throws Baseline. What I was Meaning with the Magnets in Elite Z was that they were more stable to do longer shots a Pro D or Jawbreaker Can't seem to do as well for being an understable disc. I think I say something about that in my post. I threw a Baseline Rubber Putter 168 grams in 2003 as my only disc after I lost the other disc An uncle gave me a DX Stingray not sure on the weight.

I would have used an U-2 or Upshot #2 in 2007 that I got in 2005. In fact I used my U-2 in Prostyle plastic 166 grams back in 2007 as a driving putter back as well as up hill and downhill putting. this was when I used that U-2 that like was a lower profile Aviar Big Bead Putter with a just slightly smaller wing. Now I use NOT a driving putter and use a 175 gram Star Shark and Pro Shark in same weight for the place of a driving putter as well as midrange to approach shots. I had a Wizard g9i 172 grams too as of 2004 but that was more an approach disc For me that was only good at 40-55 feet range best at 45-55 feet range after it broke in, sometimes 60 feet would work too if I threw my Wizard g9i just right. In 2014 I took the Wizard out of my bag as it had only a specific distance approach shot with the disc and was not worth using for me.

Still have U-2 Prostyle plastic 166 grams for uphill and downhill putting and the rare time I have to use a Putter for driving as well, Putters are different, they do not need to be as versatile as my other discs but can't be as specific a single type of shot as my Wizard g9i was.

I would have used an U-2 or Upshot #2 in 2007 that I got in 2005. In fact I used my U-2 in Prostyle plastic 166 grams back in 2007 as a driving putter back as well as up hill and downhill putting. this was when I used that U-2 that like was a lower profile Aviar Big Bead Putter with a just slightly smaller wing. Now I use NOT a driving putter and use a 175 gram Star Shark and Pro Shark in same weight for the place of a driving putter as well as midrange to approach shots. I had a Wizard g9i 172 grams too as of 2004 but that was more an approach disc For me that was only good at 40-55 feet range best at 45-55 feet range after it broke in, sometimes 60 feet would work too if I threw my Wizard g9i just right. In 2014 I took the Wizard out of my bag as it had only a specific distance approach shot with the disc and was not worth using for me.

Still have U-2 Prostyle plastic 166 grams for uphill and downhill putting and the rare time I have to use a Putter for driving as well, Putters are different, they do not need to be as versatile as my other discs but can't be as specific a single type of shot as my Wizard g9i was.
That's fine, the U-2 is a nice Classic Roc alternative. Say "Classic Roc" now and it's in the putter discussion. Some people used Classic Rocs as putters back in the day, but Innova marketed them as a mid. In 2007 it was still considered by most a Mid or a tweener so a lot of people wouldn't mention it at all in a conversation about putters. 10 years later there is a whole line of new low-profile "putters" that copy the Classic Roc design so the whole idea that 10 years ago a lot of people would have considered those discs mids is a bit confusing. So the U-2 was just 15 years ahead of it's time, bring that disc out now as a new mold and it probably would be a popular option.

Roach is a throwback style lid disc like the Puppy and Super Puppy is what I was meaning. The Putt'r did not come out until 2006 either so it is not a true throwback as well.

:thmbup:

I'll drift. I've seen a Roach, ran an Ace Race with them a few years ago. Have not really thrown one. Why would it be comparable to a lid-style putter like a Rattler or Super Puppy?

That's fine, the U-2 is a nice Classic Roc alternative. Say "Classic Roc" now and it's in the putter discussion. Some people used Classic Rocs as putters back in the day, but Innova marketed them as a mid. In 2007 it was still considered by most a Mid or a tweener so a lot of people wouldn't mention it at all in a conversation about putters. 10 years later there is a whole line of new low-profile "putters" that copy the Classic Roc design so the whole idea that 10 years ago a lot of people would have considered those discs mids is a bit confusing. So the U-2 was just 15 years ahead of it's time, bring that disc out now as a new mold and it probably would be a popular option.

A U-2 is more a lower profile Aviar Big Bead or a Millennium Putter that would have been like a U-2 Classic ROC was like a XD, a midrange style Putter, something that would not become prevalent until 2009 and on with the introduction of the Dart, Dart is like a midrange shaped putter it looks like a Standard Shark but a dome like a Rubber Putter. Also the more recent Colt is like a more putter Version of a Gator or Spider type midrange but made to be more putter like. I saw in 2007 people using more the Pro or Champion Ryhno as a driving putter if they were using Innova. Others were using Discraft with the Zone or Zone GT when that came out 6 months later.

Latest posts