• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

SEKansas DG'r

I did sneak into KC yesterday and picked up a couple discs, unfortunately I'm working all weekend. I got the disc dyeing blues!

I'm a gonna raise a fuss
I'm a gonna raise a holler

about a workin' all winter
just to try to earn a dollar

ev'ry time I get my dyes out

and get them on the plate

my Boss says
No dice, Son,you gotta work late

nice dyes!!!

Gotta Work? NO :thmbdown:
Gotta Go Throw! YA :thmbup:

DH, I been wanting to play Kanza. Maybe we can hook up.:hfive:

Definitely Iberian, except lets skip Kanza (short and kinda boring) and go to the glory that is Kansas City Disc Golf. If you have ever played WYCO you may want to come and give it one last go, they suspect it will be removed by early summer.

So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc?

I think you should just make a proper write up with pictures so other people can also try this cool method.

Amazing work Dan. I've got the no plastic blues myself but hoping to correct that soon lol.

Thx guys, I'm hoping to see some new ones here sometime. Post your mistakes as well as your successes with any details you can share and we'll all move forward faster!

So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc.
I think you should just make a proper write up with pictures so other people can also try this cool method.

I'll try not to be a jerk here but I think all of your questions have already been answered in this thread, did you read it? It's a new process and a lot of the particulars still need to be figured out. I've left 'em in the dye mix for 3-24 hrs and I've never heated them up, always at room temp. Please feel free to experiment and then post your results, like I said, it'll help all of us move forward faster.

As for that last bit, well... OK the manual is at the binders right now, I think you are gonna love the gold leaf. I'll be sure and gift wrap one and put it under your pillow here real soon.
(I said I'll try :D )

I'll start. A success I think, except for where the vinyl pulled the black off of the stamp.
worldsmonarchDSC_6455.jpg

Base layer was pretty thick (how do you measure shaving cream volume???), maybe 4:1 SC to water. The dye mix was about 50:50 and rather runny, when I laid it out it was only slightly raised off the bed. Gave it ~8hrs. Next time I'll take a pic before I set the disc, here's one from earlier that I really wish I woulda had a disc to stick in it but alas...
test1DSC_6409-1.jpg

So i understand the process and the layout, but how long do you need to let it set? Also you said something about keeping it at 90F, how are you keeping consistent heat on it without warping the disc?

No offense man but I think you can read the thread and find all the info you need. I'm sure Dan (like everyone else) is a pretty busy guy with a life and such. How do you think we learned to dye in the first place? I know I scoured the message boards looking for info for months before I got started. If you really want to learn to do this read the thread, and do some trial and error.

BTW nice work Dan. You are really starting to perfect your technique. I got about 20 discs on my desk right now waiting for dye and I think at least one of them is going to get a Barbasol Dye bath.

Does anyone think dishwashing liquid could be used instead of shaving cream? or is it too runny? I haven't dyed in a while but might try this method for something to do.

I've used clear dishwashing liquid for painting techniques. It does thicken it from a straight acetone mix comparison. Might work, but it might also react with the shaving cream. I doubt it would blow up your kitchen, but it might deflate the shaving cream.

Does anyone think dishwashing liquid could be used instead of shaving cream? or is it too runny? I haven't dyed in a while but might try this method for something to do.

its way too light to use dishwashing soap. The foam actually suspends the disc on top of it where as the weight of the disc would just disperse the suds from the soap. buy some cheap shaving foam at a dollar store.

I'm talking about filling the plate with dish soap, then swirling in your dye mix, then placing the disc and waiting...hopfully thats clear now.

I would imagine that would work, or give a similar effect, but you never know till you try it out. I'm curious how this would turn out.

really cool how did the KC pro test work out. might be nice on kc since lines get mellow with time. seems really neat.

thank you for sharing the method

really cool how did the KC pro test work out. might be nice on kc since lines get mellow with time. seems really neat.

thank you for sharing the method

It came out as a super faded dye. It's an extremely subtle dye which may disappear with the natural fading effects of the dye

My biggest struggle with this method is color intensity, even the best plastics seem to respond kinda mediocre, frustrating!

My biggest struggle with this method is color intensity, even the best plastics seem to respond kinda mediocre, frustrating!

BigBadBids and I have tried this with a star disc and as you said it turned out kinda mediocre. It seems that getting the ratio of dye to shaving foam right is the big challenge. The shaving foam we were using seemed to absorb alot of the dye deeper into it making the foam underneath a little less sturdy and the disc sank a bit into the foam. This could also be do to the $ store shaving foam we were using. So much potential here but alot of trial and error to perfect it

Shaving Gel

Am going to try this method. But I'll be trying it with one of the 'GEL' shaving creams. Will let you all know what the results are. Probably mid-week.

Dan, I'll PM ya if I plan on a KC trip.

Keep on DISC'N

Nothing I'm happy to hear some input here! In my hands the ratio of dye to SC in the dye mix in relation to the water to SC mix in the bed are the critical mixes. The SC dye can never be thicker than the SC Bed mix.

Good luck Iberian and let us know how the gel works out. This week I'm way more focused on Disc'n than Dy'n, and plan on keeping it that way for a bit. It's possible I'll be playing the pecan grove in Winfield next weekend, that anywhere near you?