• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

i picked up a distance wheel for cheaps at a rummage sale.
if anyone needs to borrow it, let me know.

some of you course makers are 'estimating' distances and its getting a bit unbelievable when you say a 150 easy ace run is 330ft par 3...

i picked up a distance wheel for cheaps at a rummage sale.
if anyone needs to borrow it, let me know.

some of you course makers are 'estimating' distances and its getting a bit unbelievable when you say a 150 easy ace run is 330ft par 3...

I work for a civil engineering firm so...I'm a bit of an expert at this...Please don't use a wheel to measure hole distances. Just buy a 300' tape from your local home improvement store for about $27 if you are really hurting to know the distance.

I played Smash Park this weekend, I hope the other 9 holes bring something to it, or else I may not ever have a reason to play here again.

Excited to see the new Holland Course and the Zeeland course. That will bring me to about 64 played and 50 reviewed :D

I played Smash Park this weekend, I hope the other 9 holes bring something to it, or else I may not ever have a reason to play here again.

Excited to see the new Holland Course and the Zeeland course. That will bring me to about 64 played and 50 reviewed :D

I LOVED Smash park. 180-230' holes, all deuceable but none are really "pitch n putt" at all. We played twice through, had a lot of fun and the course has a lot of personality. I had to work my weaker FH shot a lot and was really happy to take 2's on hole 9 both rounds. A great quick stop if you're out for a round at Fallasburg or feeling a bit masochistic and wanna play Bertha Brock, both are nearby. :thmbup:

And so there's an update, CCR put some new chains on some of the worst offending baskets at Fitzgerald Park, and we held the first sanctioned tournament in a long time there. There's still a lot to be done, but it's the best layout I've ever seen there, definitely better than the last two reworkings. Hopefully we can make it permanent over the next couple years with a few new chainstars and some pads.

Last edited:
And so there's an update, CCR put some new chains on some of the worst offending baskets at Fitzgerald Park, and we held the first sanctioned tournament in a long time there. There's still a lot to be done, but it's the best layout I've ever seen there, definitely better than the last two reworkings. Hopefully we can make it permanent over the next couple years with a few new chainstars and some pads.

Were you allowed to put the 2 holes back in the ravine? IMO, those were the best 2 holes on the course when I played; if they weren't added back, the rest of the redesign would have to be pretty epic to make it the best layout I'VE seen.

That said, teepads and better navigation would go a VERY long way.

I LOVED Smash park. 180-230' holes, all deuceable but none are really "pitch n putt" at all. We played twice through, had a lot of fun and the course has a lot of personality. I had to work my weaker FH shot a lot and was really happy to take 2's on hole 9 both rounds. A great quick stop if you're out for a round at Fallasburg or feeling a bit masochistic and wanna play Bertha Brock, both are nearby. :thmbup:

I mean It was good, but I just felt like the trees were stupid on some of the lines. Granted everything is less then 240 so not getting par is kind of hard

Were you allowed to put the 2 holes back in the ravine? IMO, those were the best 2 holes on the course when I played; if they weren't added back, the rest of the redesign would have to be pretty epic to make it the best layout I'VE seen.

Couldn't agree more with every single word. :clap:

Were you allowed to put the 2 holes back in the ravine? IMO, those were the best 2 holes on the course when I played; if they weren't added back, the rest of the redesign would have to be pretty epic to make it the best layout I'VE seen....

Yea, I've been wondering this myself. Without those holes, it would take soo much away from that course.

{UPDATE 10/4/13}

-----2011 Courses-----
--The Edge DGC-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Big Bend-- White Cloud {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Devil's Den-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Carly's Playground-- Traverse City {18 Holes} [Mt. Holiday Redesign]
--Diggins Hill-- Cadillac {18 Holes}
--Hanson Hills (Short Course)-- Grayling {18 Holes}
--Marion Twp Park-- Howell {18 Holes}
--Ogemaw Hills-- West Branch {18 Holes}
--Superior Pines-- Grand Marais {18 Holes}
--Taymouth Park-- Burt {18 Holes}
--Turbine Pines-- Mackinaw City {18 Holes}
--Heritage Park-- Grandville {9 Holes}
--Lake Linden-Hubbell DGC-- Lake Linden {9 Holes}
--Lakewood High School-- Lake Odessa {9 Holes}
--MCTI DGC-- Plainwell {9 Holes}
--Rosewood Park DGC-- Jenison {9 Holes}
--Showboat Park DGC-- Chesaning {9 Holes}

-----2012 Courses-----
--Labyrinth-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Belle Isle DGC-- Detroit {18 Holes}
--Bertha Brock County Park-- Ionia {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Rivers Edge-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Campus View DGC-- Allendale {18 Holes}
--Duke Creek-- Cedar Springs {18 Holes}
--Earl Brewer-North-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Earl Brewer-South-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--East China Township Park-- Marine City {18 Holes}
--Henderson Lake Nature Center-- Montague {18 Holes}
--Sunnybrook-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Herman Park-- Suttons Bay {18 Holes}
--Vicksburg Rec. Area-- Vicksburg {18 Holes}
--Wickes Woods-- Saginaw {18 Holes}
--Beverly Park-- Beverly Hills {9 Holes}
--Caro Fairgrounds DGC-- Caro {9 Holes}
--Cass City Park-- Cass City {9 Holes}
--Chilson Woods-- Howell {9 Holes}
--Dexter Lake Church-- Battle Creek {9 Holes}
--Flaherty Park-- Watervliet {9 Holes}
--Freeport Park-- Freeport {9 Holes}
--Ira Township Park-- Fair Haven {9 Holes}
--NorthRidge Church-- Plymouth {9 Holes}
--Shelby Road Baptist Church DGC-- Shelby {9 Holes}
--Silver Creek - Chocolay Park-- Harvey {9 Holes} [Redesign]
--Zeeland Christian School-- Zeeland {9 Holes}

-----2013 Courses-----
--Pioneer Trails-- Gladstone {27 holes}
--Old Airport DGC-- Au Gres {20 Holes}
--Mt. McSauba DGC-- Charlevoix {19 Holes}
--Leila Arboretum-- Battle Creek {18 Holes}
--Deerfield Park-Wildwood-- Mt. Pleasant {18 Holes}
--LakeShore Disc Golf Complex-- Spring Lake {18 Holes}
--Macatawa Greenspace-- Holland {18 Holes}
--Powder Mill DGC-- Marquette {18 Holes}
--Richland Park-- Hemlock {18 Holes}
--St. Francis Retreat Center-- Dewitt {18 Holes}
--The Gulch-- Hamburg {18 Holes}
--Wild Haven-North-- Manton {18 Holes}
--Snowbowl DGC-- Fife Lake {12 Holes}
--John D Besse Park-- Escanaba {9 Holes}
--Ludington Links-- Escanaba {9 Holes}
--Nature Park DGC-- Grayling {9 Holes}
--Smash Park-- Belding {9 Holes}
--The Memory-- Atlanta {9 Holes}
--Treetops DGC-- Gaylord {9 Holes}

-----PENDING COURSES-------
--Al Quaal-Teal Lake DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Al Quaal-Olympic Trail DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Ella Sharp Park-- Jackson {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--Homestead Greens DGC-- Harvey {18 Holes}
--James Nelson Park-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Memorial Course-- Republic {18 holes}
--Rolling Hills County Park [2nd Course]-- {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18 Holes}
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes}
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes}
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}

-----{If anyone has additional info that should be added to the list, please let me know.}-----

I love to see these updates, thanks Dirty. We are pretty lucky here in Michigan. In additon to some of the simply spectacular "up north" courses installed. The local SE Michigan course added have some real quality. Keep us updated man.

Locals pulled up MOST of our "Next Tee -->" signs. :\ Wooden posts, tee signs, pads, good baskets, etc are luxuries I've come not to expect from Fitz. At least with the current layout I want to play there in spite of all that.

Not sure which two holes you're referencing, might be the layout that was before my time (been playing out there ~5yrs). I've never played the island hole either. They're probably not there though.

Locals pulled up MOST of our "Next Tee -->" signs. :\ Wooden posts, tee signs, pads, good baskets, etc are luxuries I've come not to expect from Fitz. At least with the current layout I want to play there in spite of all that.

Not sure which two holes you're referencing, might be the layout that was before my time (been playing out there ~5yrs). I've never played the island hole either. They're probably not there though.

there was the hill on the side you threw down it. Thats what he's talking about. I've only been playing for 5 years and it was there about 3 years ago? Maybe hole 3 or 4?

It got pulled right before they shot the remake of "Red Dawn", at least I think that's what movie they shot there. Wasn't put back in.

Grand Isle - Belmont: Update

The following is part of a newsletter that came with my recent water bill from the township:

"At the Grand Isle Park, Visser Brothers Construction will be expanding wetlands and constructing a trail along the river's edge. Construction of a disc golf course will begin this fall. The Parks Department is starting a Disc Golf Club to assist with the construction and management of the course."

I have again been in contact with the Parks Director and he has asked me to gauge interest in local golfers joining the club. If you are local to the Grand Rapids area and have an interest in helping the course and club get started, please send me a PM.

It got pulled right before they shot the remake of "Red Dawn", at least I think that's what movie they shot there. Wasn't put back in.

Gotcha, yeah, those are gone. I think it would've been holes 3 and 4 at that time, before that it was 6 and 7. It's getting hard to talk about this course, haha!

They may have pulled the basket for 3 for Red Dawn, but they left 4 in during the shoot and the crew... did something to it. Bent the tray all up. :/

Hole 3 now plays down to the fire pit and you don't shoot down by the river at all now. Those old holes, at least the first cliff shot was cool, but it was also a blind shot down a popular walking trail in a multi-use park. They moved it across the path for a while but now it's pulled.

The course plays deep into the woods now (enter the woods on 7 and come out after 16) with a good variety of holes back there, including one over a berm with a 10-15' deep pit short of the basket that is in bounds. There is a very very subtle battle amongst locals going on now over what to nickname that hole. "the blast hole" "the tiger pit" "dynamite hole" etc. I don't think anyone knows where the pit came from or why it's there. There are also some really spectacular views back there, especially on the (longish) walk from 12 to 13 where you walk along the edge of a steep slope overlooking a deep valley. I'll not be walking that path when it's icy though!

The following is part of a newsletter that came with my recent water bill from the township:

"At the Grand Isle Park, Visser Brothers Construction will be expanding wetlands and constructing a trail along the river's edge. Construction of a disc golf course will begin this fall. The Parks Department is starting a Disc Golf Club to assist with the construction and management of the course."

I have again been in contact with the Parks Director and he has asked me to gauge interest in local golfers joining the club. If you are local to the Grand Rapids area and have an interest in helping the course and club get started, please send me a PM.

PM'd and excited !

Latest posts