• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid range disc comparison

tonsoffun49

So the main course I play in my home town is a pretty short one. Every hole is under 300ft so I use only mid range and putters. Not a serious player, mostly just for fun, but I do want to improve my game.

My current mid range line-up is: D Drone, (2) Z Comets, FLX Buzzz, D Buzzz, and R-Pro Roc.

I really only use the FLX Buzzz, Roc, and Comet. What I am curious about is the flight characteristics between the Roc and Buzzz? Which is supposed to fly straightest, longest, etc.

My Comet is my go to disc for long smooth anhyzer shots and straight approach shots. Seems like I can throw the Roc farther then the Buzzz, and straighter.

Still rather new so sorry if this is stupid.

The buzzz is technicly faster, longer, & straighter but i find better results with a comet and discraft roc (wasp).

Also, your R-Pro Roc is the Plus mold. That is not what most people will be describing when they discuss how a Roc should fly.

I feel the same way about my home course. A few longer holes, but it's fairly easy to break par with mids and putters. That said, my current mid line-up for a general round of disc golf is as follows, although I am considering consolidating molds.

DX Roc, Z Glo Buzzz, GL Core, First run SL MD1, Star Classic Cobra, Champ Gator

The Roc, Core, and Cobra all provide nice turnover lines for me, or good straight glide. The Roc is pretty beat; the other two are just natural turnover discs. Distance-wise, I would say the longest is the Cobra, then the Roc, and then the Core, but I also throw them each a little differently (whether anyone thinks I *should* is a different story). The Buzzz and MD1 are pretty straight and fade predictably, but they don't really turnover with my form - I prefer them for slight-to-medium hyzer shots. The Gator, of course, is the meat hook.

And to address the original post...

I find that I can throw the Roc straighter because I can get it to flip up pretty predictably, even if I'm a little off on my line, and because it's beat, it holds that flipped-up line forever. I'm not as good with the Buzzz; again, I prefer it for nice smooth hyzer shots. I don't really think about comparative distance, because I'm more worried about line-shaping than "I can throw my Roc 10' farther than my Buzzz." I usually practice with mids by picking a target (a basket, if available, but trees and other landmarks do fine) and then working all my mids at the target with varying lines - spike hyzers, soft hyzers, straight, turnover, anny. I can generally hit similar distances with them all.

I honestly like the rim on the Buzzz over the rim on the Roc. My fingers usually get stuck under the Roc and I end up either not getting any spin on it, or getting hooked on it and releasing wiiiiide right. I dont have that problem with the Buzzz.

Personally for me, I couldn't ever get a Roc to do what I want, so I stick with my line-up of Ibex, (2) Z Buzzz's, Hornet, and a 177 Z Comet, and a 171 Z Comet. I feel like this line-up gives me a wide range of shot options for any conditions.

My flx buzz is very straight when thrown hard and flat with 10' or so of fade right to left. A very predictable rhbh disc. I do prefer it over the roc, but it's a grip comfort issue for me like stated in an earlier post. On a side note, my favorite roc ever has to be a star San Marino Roc. Easily the most grip comfortable roc ive thrown, but it has some sick fade, and is by no means a very straight flyer. Both great discs.

So the main course I play in my home town is a pretty short one. Every hole is under 300ft so I use only mid range and putters. Not a serious player, mostly just for fun, but I do want to improve my game.

My current mid range line-up is: D Drone, (2) Z Comets, FLX Buzzz, D Buzzz, and R-Pro Roc.

What course are you playing that is that short in Murfreesboro?

What course are you playing that is that short in Murfreesboro?

Sorry, moved back to Columbus, OH 9 months ago and never changed it. God I miss the courses in Murfreesboro and Smyrna though. The course I play now is Blendon Woods Metro Park. Total noob course but I have really bad joints in just about every part of my body so its nice to play a putt and approach course and save my arm.

Release wise, I am the most comfortable with my Comet. I cant power grip it or I go wide right, but with a natural fan grip I can throw it almost anywhere, to a certain length. When I try to drive my FLX Buzzz I don't feel that my release is ever consistent and it doesn't stay as straight for me as my Roc.

Someone mentioned earlier that I have a Roc Plus? I rubbed the stamp off when I first got it so I could dye it, pretty sure I ordered a normal Roc though.

If your just playing mids and putters I'd just buy the MVP lineup and be done with it.

^^^ This is good advice.... they are nice discs good balance of understable-stable mids and great feeling soft putters. I love to throw buzzz/wasp mids, but this past month I have been using all MVP and for me its been almost the same. Been playing rounds lately with just the MVPs....still shooting in the -4 to -6 range. I would suggest more ppl try rounds just using your mids....really makes you focus on shapping and hitting lines instead of gripping and ripping.

I am the most comfortable with my Comet. I cant power grip it or I go wide right, but with a natural fan grip I can throw it almost anywhere, to a certain length. When I try to drive my FLX Buzzz I don't feel that my release is ever consistent and it doesn't stay as straight for me as my Roc.

Someone mentioned earlier that I have a Roc Plus? I rubbed the stamp off when I first got it so I could dye it, pretty sure I ordered a normal Roc though.

Have you tried the Comet in x plastic? Cause if you haven't, you should.
And always buy two of them. I use Rocs myself but baseline plastic is awesome. Comets fly so great and all but I can get a Roc to go anywhere I could get a Comet and more. People that carry a lot of discs carry Comets and Rocs all the time and I don't get it. If I needed more than one Roc, I'd be carrying two Rocs.

IIRC, all R-Pro Rocs are the + mold.

For DX and KC Pro Rocs compared to the Buzzz, they tend to need more height to go as far as a Buzzz, have a stronger and more predictable fade, make better gentle turnover discs when beat, make better hyzer discs when new, are easier to "range" and probably have more distance potential on big turnover (distance type) lines. Buzzzes are better at low, straight shots (which is super useful) are easier to throw a bit farther on golf lines becasue of this. They "push through" hyzers more often (go straight with a hyzer angle rather than curve) than Rocs which is good if you want a straight shot but bad if you want a hyzer.

Buzzz users tend to complement the Buzzz with something that handles hyzers better and fades more (Wasp, Hornet) and Roc users tend to back off on fairway drivers to get the low ceiling shots.

I haven't thrown a R-Pro Roc (+?), but the 2004 Worlds Pro Roc I had didn't beat the same as the DX or KC Pro Rocs I've had. It retained more LSS and got kind of squirrley in the high speed section of the flight when it beat up.